Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Dedicated Express Access Lanes

Post by skiadikt »

rode the k1 singles a couple times today. zero line while the main corral was pretty full. waltzed right up the scanner. no need to pay for the express thing.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I'd love to see Fast Tracks done away with, but even more, I'd like to see the 35 dollar paid parking at K1 eliminated or at least reduce the space allocated to it. It's never anywhere near full.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

daytripper wrote: Dec 27th, '22, 09:51 You do realize that the fast track program has been a non factor? Its been extremely rare that I have seen it used.
Unfortunately for me, it's the single reason that I haven't skied at K since implementation. I don't like the idea of separating the "have's" with the "have-nots", especially outside enjoying nature.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

DES wrote: Dec 28th, '22, 09:50
daytripper wrote: Dec 27th, '22, 09:51 You do realize that the fast track program has been a non factor? Its been extremely rare that I have seen it used.
Unfortunately for me, it's the single reason that I haven't skied at K since implementation. I don't like the idea of separating the "have's" with the "have-nots", especially outside enjoying nature.
Kind of a stupid hill to die on. Nobody cares. :roll:
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

rogman wrote: Dec 28th, '22, 12:57
DES wrote: Dec 28th, '22, 09:50
Kind of a stupid hill to die on. Nobody cares. :roll:
Yup. I agree, however, that the Fast Track thing might be the lamest idea i've ever seen in the ski world. Its right up there with the turtles that people wear on their backsides.
Don't Killington Pico
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

The people have spoken and I'm sure it'll fade into obscurity or maybe it won't and they'll make a few extra beans each season. While I don't ski Killington nearly as much as many hear, I too have never seen it utilized.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Not a big fan of it .. but would never let that have a negative impact .. disrupting an enjoyable day on the hill. 8)
Plenty of other 'issues' with skiing Killington these days .. none of which will get resolved by bichin' on this board :sad:
Observations are somewhat different from complaints.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

What everyone misses is that isn’t about that additional revenue, it’s about attracting a particular demographic that doesn’t mind overspending for a top end experience. They’ll go to the Wobbly, eat expensive steaks, buy $200 bottles of wine, and drop a ton of money around the resort. Conspicuous consumption is actually part of the appeal. I doubt it works for Eastern skiing, but I have no way of knowing. The paltry number of people using it isn’t the proper metric for determining its success. They spend way out of proportion to their impact on my experience. I hope it is considered a huge success. More toys for the boys!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I actually think there could be a negative impact on revenue as it could be cannibalizing demand for private lessons, which is the traditional way of paying to cut the lift lines.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Unlikely. Maximum appeal occurs at maximum crowding, when they are short staffed for lessons already.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

rogman wrote: Dec 28th, '22, 14:19 What everyone misses is that isn’t about that additional revenue, it’s about attracting a particular demographic that doesn’t mind overspending for a top end experience.
Makes sense. If it isn't significantly impacting my ability to ski, and so far it hasn't, I could give two sh!ts if the bourgeoisie want to pay extra for basically the same service so they can feel special. But if these rich folk contribute dollars that help the resort justify things like fancy new lodges, I'd say it's a net gain.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Lame is lame is lame. And it will never not be lame, no matter how much we might rationalize the policy as "free money", "attracting a special demographic", or the most common "doesn't affect me".

The only concrete way to measure whether or not the thing is making money is whether it is being used. So far, it definitely has not. Everything else is supposition. It is an assumption to say the demographic that will pay for this wouldn't come to Killington (and spend lavishly) anyway without it. Such people may exist, but it is difficult (if not impossible) to truly measure their numbers.

I doubt that they have come close to even paying off the cost of the additional gates yet.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

rogman wrote: Dec 28th, '22, 14:19 What everyone misses is that isn’t about that additional revenue, it’s about attracting a particular demographic that doesn’t mind overspending for a top end experience. They’ll go to the Wobbly, eat expensive steaks, buy $200 bottles of wine, and drop a ton of money around the resort. Conspicuous consumption is actually part of the appeal. I doubt it works for Eastern skiing, but I have no way of knowing. The paltry number of people using it isn’t the proper metric for determining its success. They spend way out of proportion to their impact on my experience. I hope it is considered a huge success. More toys for the boys!
Now that there is no cash, they should be able to mine the data and figure this out pretty accurately, though I wonder if they have their sh*t together to do this.
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

Skied up to SkyePeak Express this afternoon. Maybe a dozen people in the main corral. 6-8 people stopped in front of the Express Lane scanner. I skied on past them, onto a chair 3-4 chairs later while the group going through the Express Lane finally made it through and out the chair a few chairs behind me.

That is a win-win!