sunday 3/5 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 3/5 report

Post by skiadikt »

obviously a letdown after yesterday, but another fine though rather foggy (not the freezing variety) day on the hill. great when the mtn is 100% open.

spent most of the morning in the trees which though skied in, everything skied great. can finally ski them with impunity. started in rams and worked across the ridge to anarchy, which once again was rotd. low rider also a highlight. big dipper good but worn in spots. always good to visit the wizard. enjoyed rusty's roundabout glades.

by late morning moved onto trails. old supe bumps prime. dream HW skied beautifully. skier's right bumps on pipedream quite good. fiddle good but now stuff to avoid. vertigo HW icey but middle skiing well. hit thimble, one of ty's faves knowing our friend would have enjoyed it. lower lark bumps were eh with some ice between. flush rather beat up but can avoid the rough spots by skiing either side. finished out on conclusion which was mostly good.
Last edited by skiadikt on Mar 5th, '23, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Spyderman
Bumper

Re: sunday 3/5 report

Post by Spyderman »

What was the mechanical issue that required the Peak Lodge to be closed today?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Spyderman wrote: Mar 5th, '23, 16:30 What was the mechanical issue that required the Peak Lodge to be closed today?
don't know. surprised to hear it.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Obviously, for me, a much better day than yesterday !! Was surprised by the fog as it was clearing at my house and forecast I was banking on showed clearing in the afternoon. Drove up to Snowdon to start the day and there it was.

Warmup run on Royal Flush very good. Up Canyon to head to Bear and clearer skies. On the way, Pipe Dream and Breakaway still very good.

At Bear, Wildfire was great. Lots of nice bumps upper, smaller bumps on lower with good conditions throughout.

ROTD: Growler. Just about perfect for how I like the trees to be. Devil's Fiddle great as well. Went to do it again and got snookered into Devils Den [used to be called Bear's Ass back in the day]. Glad I did it. Though a bit rocky [as expected], very skiable and a fun run.

Dream Maker TTB and Thimble -> Vertigo also very good. Great bumps all the way down Vertigo.

Bittersweet better than expected with some late day wind refresh going on. Low Road good. SkyeHawk excellent though foggy.

WROTD: Superstar. Middle Supe was very good. Lower Supe was so so after it's haircut. But, the "airbag" trail on the side was very good [after crossing the Supe ice flow] and helped with the schlep across K1 to get back to Snowdon.

Like SA, finished on Conclusion. Excellent. Took my yearly run down the left side on it. Cover is fantastic.

Snowmakers turning 'em on on Supe at the end of the day. Had some guns running on upper Skyelark / Lower Skyehawk as well.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Pico report:

While definitely a leftovers day, it was still really good.

It was quite crowded for Pico with full parking lots and lines at the 2 high speed quads most of the day. I skied mostly Little Pico, Outpost, and Knomes Knoll in the morning, and Summit in the afternoon. ROTD was Upper Giant Killer with a wind refresh and big soft bumps. Worth a three-peat. Runner ups were a groomed Upper Pike to middle and lower, B-Slope, and Pipeline. You really couldn't go wrong with the conditions. I also skied A-Slope for the first time since they restored snowmaking to it. While it was ungroomed, it was nice to not have to worry about bottoming out, and I'm glad this trail is going to be open much more consistently.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

snoloco wrote: Mar 5th, '23, 22:00 Pico report:

While definitely a leftovers day, it was still really good.

It was quite crowded for Pico with full parking lots and lines at the 2 high speed quads most of the day. I skied mostly Little Pico, Outpost, and Knomes Knoll in the morning, and Summit in the afternoon. ROTD was Upper Giant Killer with a wind refresh and big soft bumps. Worth a three-peat. Runner ups were a groomed Upper Pike to middle and lower, B-Slope, and Pipeline. You really couldn't go wrong with the conditions. I also skied A-Slope for the first time since they restored snowmaking to it. While it was ungroomed, it was nice to not have to worry about bottoming out, and I'm glad this trail is going to be open much more consistently.
Summit didn't spin until 2:15 yesterday. My son said it was pretty fantastic up there to end the day. I was on the lower mountain with my daughter doing laps in knomes, golden and LPT, which was fun too

We overnighted in the RV in skyeship lot Saturday night and got up and at em for Sunday. Well, three of us did. I stuck around until 9 to watch the junk show of what that parking lot turned into. That was had some high entertainment value for sure.
Good day all around. Great moguls on wildfire, needles under the skyeship and stitchline.
Canyon and south ridge skied great too.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

ozzy wrote: Mar 5th, '23, 22:26 We overnighted in the RV in skyeship lot Saturday
Nice!!
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

twilkas wrote: Mar 5th, '23, 23:02
ozzy wrote: Mar 5th, '23, 22:26 We overnighted in the RV in skyeship lot Saturday
Nice!!
Until the plow guy showed up at 5 and finished up at 7 :-o
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Spyderman wrote: Mar 5th, '23, 16:30 What was the mechanical issue that required the Peak Lodge to be closed today?
Merry Christmas! Shitter was full.