Enough

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Enough

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 14:00
Bubba wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 13:03 So why don't you start a movement to repeal or alter the Second Amendment?
Sure. I'll go ahead and solve world peace once I finish with that.

The U.S. second amendment has been misinterpreted by the current Court and that isn't likely to be fixed in the near term. There's about zero chance that the citizens of the U.S. suddenly become enlightened enough to realize the Second Amendment needs to be rewritten or repealed.
So what you’re saying is that while you think our gun laws suck, the majority of Americans disagree with you? I don’t think the polls support that. If the majority agree that laws need to change but the Second Amendment stands in the way, the majority would logically agree that the Second Amendment needs to change. I say go for it.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 15:31
Bubba wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 13:03 So why don't you start a movement to repeal or alter the Second Amendment?

The U.S. second amendment has been misinterpreted by the current Court and that isn't likely to be fixed in the near term. There's about zero chance that the citizens of the U.S. suddenly become enlightened enough to realize the Second Amendment needs to be rewritten or repealed.
So what you’re saying is that while you think our gun laws suck, the majority of Americans disagree with you? I don’t think the polls support that. If the majority agree that laws need to change but the Second Amendment stands in the way, the majority would logically agree that the Second Amendment needs to change. I say go for it.
The majority already agrees the laws need to change, but the majority are not willing to punish their representative for inaction. They won't even punish their representative for trying to overthrow our gov't because such a punishment would require them to vote for 'the other guys'.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The weapon used .... definitely need to ensure every American can own one of these ...

easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Jan 23rd, '23, 15:31 So what you’re saying is that while you think our gun laws suck, the majority of Americans disagree with you? I don’t think the polls support that. If the majority agree that laws need to change but the Second Amendment stands in the way, the majority would logically agree that the Second Amendment needs to change. I say go for it.
I'm sure you're aware that it takes far more than a majority to amend the Constitution. Aside from that, I don't think most americans agree that the 2nd amendment needs to be amended even if they do want better gun control legislation. I suspect it is because most don't understand the law. Also people are rarely logical, especially when it comes to emotionally-charged issues.

Americans love guns. It's part of the culture. I think most can logically see that we need better gun control laws, but most can't get past the emotional connection to the second amendment and the American myths surrounding gun ownership and and gun rights.

Also, I don't think it's fair to expect a person to start a movement any time they articulate a position that change is needed. I can support my position by participating in our democracy - both by talking about the issue and voting for people who agree with my position.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Another mass shooting yesterday, this time at Michigan State, which has its own police force.

This time it hit closer to home. Woke up to text messages from our cousins who have a daughter at MSU .. they barricaded their room once they heard gun shots. She's safe and on the way home to be with her family ... she will be forever impacted.

We're helpless just waiting for when it will be our school, grocery store, church, etc.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Enough

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Don't worry, the Republican congressmen with their AR-15 lapels are sending thoughts and prayers to Nashville. Surely this time it will work
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

The Trans Gendah Killah.....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Fancypants wrote: Mar 27th, '23, 21:09 The Trans Gendah Killah.....
What’s your point?
Guns don’t kill school children; transgender women do? :roll: :roll:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Apparently, the solution isn't better gun control laws, but rather a "revival":
U.S. Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) says there’s nothing the 535 elected officials in the House and Senate can do to reduce gun violence and gun deaths.

“We’re not gonna fix it,” Congressman Burchett said on the steps of the Capitol.

“I don’t see any role that we could do other than mess things up, honestly,” he said in response to Monday’s school mass shooting in Nashville, where three nine-year olds and three adults were shot to death by a shooter with two AR-15 style assault rifles and a handgun.

Instead of Congress enacting stricter gun laws, background checks, and a ban on assault weapons, Congressman Burchett said, “you’ve got to change people’s hearts,” as he called for a Christian revival.

“As a Christian, we talk about the church. I’ve said this many times, I think we really need a revival in this country.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA19aP87

On the issue of dressing in drag, however, government apparently has a large role to play:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics ... index.html

Today's GOP: we can't ban guns, but we sure can ban dresses on men.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 28th, '23, 10:20 Apparently, the solution isn't better gun control laws, but rather a "revival":
U.S. Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN) says there’s nothing the 535 elected officials in the House and Senate can do to reduce gun violence and gun deaths.

“We’re not gonna fix it,” Congressman Burchett said on the steps of the Capitol.

“I don’t see any role that we could do other than mess things up, honestly,” he said in response to Monday’s school mass shooting in Nashville, where three nine-year olds and three adults were shot to death by a shooter with two AR-15 style assault rifles and a handgun.

Instead of Congress enacting stricter gun laws, background checks, and a ban on assault weapons, Congressman Burchett said, “you’ve got to change people’s hearts,” as he called for a Christian revival.

“As a Christian, we talk about the church. I’ve said this many times, I think we really need a revival in this country.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA19aP87

On the issue of dressing in drag, however, government apparently has a large role to play:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics ... index.html

Today's GOP: we can't ban guns, but we sure can ban dresses on men.
These congressman asserting they're Christian and immediately throwing up their hands saying there's nothing they can do might as well be blasphemy. Christian's are called to bring glory to God in everything we do ... doing nothing to protect human life from gun violence is not bringing glory to God. Matthew even calls out that if we live by the sword, we die by the sword .... guns are the number one killer of children.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

Enlightened? Why would I, as a US Citizen give up one of my constitutional rights?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Even more shocking was the revelation that Hale had been secretly collecting weapons before opening fire at the private Christian academy.

“It could have been worse without this great response,[by law enforcement]” Nashville Mayor John Cooper told CNN. “This was very planned and numerous sites were investigated.[by the perpetrator]”

Explain to me how limiting magazine size, or the color, stock, or physical appearance of a gun would deter a determined killer who plans in great detail well in advance. Then explain how these laws you're going to enact outweigh the lives saved by people having the right to defend themselves, and the constitutional right to do so. Explain to me how this shooter couldn't have committed this crime with just two 10 shot magazine semi auto pistols, which is promoted as the solution to these shootings. Explain how 2 shots with a slower bullet won't kill the same as 1 theoretically well placed shot with a faster bullet.

Eliminating (as if you could) AR15 style rifles would only shift the preferred weapon to a different platform which is then celebrated by the media and every camera hogging politician every time it is used.

Explain which gun you'd allow the public to own couldn't be used to cause this tragedy. Explain which gun show law, or which background check, or which trigger lock law would prevent this tragedy.

Explain how the law you support would prevent this tactically equipped pre meditated killer.

We didn't outlaw box cutters, we hardened airports and created passenger screening. We armed marshals and pilots. We didn't leave the side door of the airplane open to the street.

Why aren't we wholesale shaming the media for running coverage of these tragedies, when copycat shooters are well established?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

She was under the care of a doctor for mental / emotional issues. Red Flag laws potentially preventing such people from legally acquiring a gun could lessen the frequency of such events.

And if a ban on assault style rifles isn't effective, then why were there fewer of these events when the ban was in place?

The ammosexuals thirst for the most powerful weapons available to efficiently kill as many people as possible is a problem in this country. How many fewer people would have died in Vegas as an example had he not had the level of guns that he did?
Last edited by deadheadskier on Mar 29th, '23, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

If it were much harder to get assault rifles like the one used here, it would be easier to prevent these tragedies and they would be much less severe. We *want* these shooters to use different weapons because assault-rifle style weapons are much more effective at killing large groups of people.