Opening Day?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: Opening Day?

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Oct 31st, '23, 06:36
newpylong1 wrote: Oct 31st, '23, 06:29 You've never made snow that much is obvious.

Flow charts for an in-house 40 year old gun like the K3000 and K3000E are hard to come by but I'll ask around. I have the charts on the Impulse platform. At a marginal 22-26 wet bulb there is no comparison to the amount of water the K gun converts over the HKD. The caveat is at huge air consumption
The Phazers can do up to 50 gpm. The closest gun to a K3000 is the Ratnik baby snow giant, which can do 60 gpm. They're pretty close. The larger HKD impulse guns can go up to 80 gpm.
Yeah, I've used them all.

The pre-production Phazers they have can actually do closer to 60 GPM on stage 5 as they have the 4th nuke on top. Production models have 3 nukes. We traded all of our Phazers back to HKD for Impulses, the narrow band wasn't enough of a benefit for the low flow rate. I suspect the 4th nozzle makes up for that pretty well.

I found the numbers on the K3000 and they start at 28 WB at 10 GPM but quickly ramps up the water flow (while the Low E takes longer) before topping out at 80 GPM at a 14 WB.

In the first picture alone I had Impulse tripods, sleds, K2000s, a K3000, and some Wizard fans.
In the second picture we're using Phazer tripods and K2000s in the narrow sections of that trail.

20181207_171722.jpg
20181207_171722.jpg (185.99 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Attachments
20181123_103455.jpg
20181123_103455.jpg (444.77 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

fwiw tough to tell with the cloud sitting on the peak, but looks like they're making snow on great northern. maybe it's just wishful thinking but if that's the case, would be great if we could ski down to the NR.

hitting supe ttb except for the usual section just below tower 4. with tgiving rather early this season, mama nature's gonna have to cooperate with snow control only 2 weeks or so away.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

as of this morning and right now they were not making snow by FIS and at the high traverse area of GN.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Skid Mark
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Skid Mark »

I read that Phazers are designed for confined spaces, so maybe that is another reason to use them on Rime/Reason. Less blow over onto the trees and double dip
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

On the webcam this AM, it looked like there was a gun blowing at GN and DD. I thought they'd try for top to NR on day 1. I took a ride up and ran into Barb who was returning from her hike to the top. I asked her and she said there was no snowmaking on GN.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

saw the same thing as LINY. here's foto from early this morning. maybe just a test but looks like there was a gun or 2 at GN & cascade. nothing now.
snowmaking.jpg
snowmaking.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
spoiled South American skiin' whore
adreamofspring
Beginner On Rentals

Post by adreamofspring »

machski wrote: Oct 30th, '23, 07:53
skiadikt wrote: Oct 29th, '23, 17:56 fwiw, with regards to opening, sunday river shouldn't be any competition this season as their plan is to open in jordan bowl on their spiffy new, heated seats, 8-person bubble. that's 1500 vertical feet at a relatively low base elevation. they're also saying multiple trail choices. though they say they've tripled their capacity in jordan, no way they can do that at that altitude given this weather window. but they will blow k away when they do open.
Its not just to use the fancy new 8 seater, its that they are still doing a lot of work in Barker basin and thus Locke's base on the fancy new Heated Barker 6. They have way upped the game on Snowmaking in Jordan, but with needing Lolla TTB to open there, I don't see them beating Killington. That said, the Jordan base is higher than Barker/Locke and often is several degrees cooler out there than even midstation level on Locke. Time will tell.

I spent a night at the Jordan Hotel in December 2020. I woke up to shovel over a foot of snow from my car, so excited for the day. It dropped about 4” of slush at the top of Spruce. Did nothing but r*in at the base of Barker. Wind holds shut down all but two lifts over there. Crowds were insane because they advertised the 12” of snow, in a spot where no one could get to. They’ve massively invested in snowmaking and lifts at Jordan side recently. It’s considerably higher elevation. In ME/NH, they don’t get the upslope snows that VT is blessed with. It’s all cement from nor’easters with marginal temperatures and snow levels. Jordan is the obvious location for early season operations now that they have the infra to support it. You see a couple hundred feet. They see an inch of r*in converting to a foot of snow. It’s like if Killington had a road and a parking lot at the base of the North Ridge lift.

There’s an episode of Storm Skiing podcast with the Sunday River GM, where they explain that they’re deliberately trying to move people to Jordan to ease the bottleneck at Barker. Jordan is also going to be the new center of the mountain when they’ve finished their expansion plans. So, even more reason to make Jordan the early season spot. Gets people used to going there first, instead of Barker. We’re all creatures of habit, after all.

The 8-packs are much ado about nothing, IMO. They have barely any more uphill capacity than 6-packs. What they gain in extra seats, they lose by spacing the chairs out more. This primarily serves to reduce the number of loading errors and stops by giving people a few more seconds to get in position. I think they’re extremely overengineered, but they also benefit from standardization. Boyne has several of the same lift now, imported from Europe.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Guns off in North Ridge and the top half of SS...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Shitty time for a GMP curtailment...
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

if they have to curtail for a 20 degree night, WTF is going to happen when it is really cold in the middle of Winter... This makes no sense to me...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

newpylong1 wrote: Oct 31st, '23, 14:04 Shitty time for a GMP curtailment...
Is the website temp accurate? Says 34 degrees.
ImageImageImageImage
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Oct 31st, '23, 14:30 if they have to curtail for a 20 degree night, WTF is going to happen when it is really cold in the middle of Winter... This makes no sense to me...
Electricity is clearing at $30.30 per MWh right now in VT. I doubt it is a GMP curtailment.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Except it is, mandatory FULL curtailment.

They'll likely fire back up by midnight.
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

So I don’t really understand the whole electric purchase and curtailment dynamics. Could it be that it’s still October and they get killed financially if the blow past “x” MWH this month? So just stop and wait for midnight? Anyone know the real deal? I find it hard to believe they’re being curtailed due to cold temps causing surge in demand.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

I work at GMP, there are currently no "curtailments". Someone is bullsh*tting you. Stick to the flow rates of snowguns.