Openings 2023

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Openings 2023

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Belleayre passholder opening today. A couple of trails off the Hawk lift (formerly Tomahawk). Uploading and downloading on the gondola.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Bumper

Re: Openings 2023

Post by 180 »

2 short black diamond runs!
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Bretton Woods had opened a couple days ago, I don’t want to always sound like I’m badmouthing the place (it’s not terrible, and there’s more attractive athletic women that ski there in one weekend than I’ll see at Cannon for the entire season) but the run they have open is slightly steeper than Carpenters run at K.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ you gotta pick your poison DES!
okemo and stratton open tomorrow.
actually considering the former as the'll have several runs including a black (whatever that is at okemo)
we need snow!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

lots of resorts joining the party tomorrow including okemo, stowe, bush and loaf. everyone is offering ttb w better trail options than K. very surprised by belleayre's opening today w a rather impressive trail rollout (know the runs are short but great job).

guess the good news for K is that it should be less crowded with other areas open this weekend. done w the stairs. will be an "orphan" until we get ttb.

bucket, stratton pushed back their opening til nov 22.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

buckethead wrote: Nov 16th, '23, 18:47 ^^ you gotta pick your poison DES!
Sticking with my Carver skateboard for now (an entire neighborhood with steep hills near me got new asphalt, less of a drive to satisfy my need for speed). My newest ski partner went to Sunday River’s opening, two relatively long interesting trails open there, bumps looked pretty good on the pix he sent.
spiderpig
Beginner On Rentals

Post by spiderpig »

actually considering the former as the'll have several runs including a black (whatever that is at okemo)
we need snow!
Okemo is one run
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

spiderpig wrote: Nov 16th, '23, 21:11
we need snow!
Okemo is one run
yes it is one ttb run but it's almost 1700 vertical feet. much better than what k's offering at the moment. racked almost 13K in about 2 hrs. my legs were screaming.

guessing SR, stowe and loaf probably have the "most" skiing right now. it's 2 ttb at SR.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

skiadikt wrote: Nov 18th, '23, 10:28
buckethead wrote: Nov 16th, '23, 18:47
we need snow!
Okemo is one run
yes it is one ttb run but it's almost 1700 vertical feet. much better than what k's offering at the moment. racked almost 13K in about 2 hrs. my legs were screaming.

guessing SR, stowe and loaf probably have the "most" skiing right now. it's 2 ttb at SR.
Me too. Sorry I missed you there.

One of the first non-K openings I have done. It felt downright luxurious in comparison. Zero walking.

The "one run" was in great shape. While there were certainly crowded moments on that trail, it never got like it is on Rime.

Overall, it was a relatively laid-back day, with a lot more actual skiing than I usually do in the North Ridge. Like Skiadikt said, the run is way longer. And you didn't have to leave any energy in reserve for the hike back up.

The first day vibe was certainly nothing like at K, however. I got there at 7:30 and was one of the first cars in the parking lot. People didn't really start streaming in until well after 8. The main lot never completely filled up - it was probably the equivalent of half of Bay 2 filling. I got in line at the lift at 8:30 and was on one of the first chairs. Most of the day, I had the lifts to myself.

No first day lunch, but the free cider donuts were excellent.
Attachments
Okemo 11-17-23.png
Okemo 11-17-23.png (342.05 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Okemo First Day Pin.png
Okemo First Day Pin.png (568.6 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Nov 18th, '23, 13:48
skiadikt wrote: Nov 18th, '23, 10:28
buckethead wrote: Nov 16th, '23, 18:47
we need snow!
Okemo is one run

Me too. Sorry I missed you there.

One of the first non-K openings I have done. It felt downright luxurious in comparison. Zero walking.

The "one run" was in great shape. While there were certainly crowded moments on that trail, it never got like it is on Rime.

Overall, it was a relatively laid-back day, with a lot more actual skiing than I usually do in the North Ridge. Like Skiadikt said, the run is way longer. And you didn't have to leave any energy in reserve for the hike back up.

The first day vibe was certainly nothing like at K, however. I got there at 7:30 and was one of the first cars in the parking lot. People didn't really start streaming in until well after 8. The main lot never completely filled up - it was probably the equivalent of half of Bay 2 filling. I got in line at the lift at 8:30 and was on one of the first chairs. Most of the day, I had the lifts to myself.

No first day lunch, but the free cider donuts were excellent.
sorry i missed you. i know of others who were there but because the run was so long and doesn't really run over the route, never saw them.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Mount Snow opens Thursday.

"Monday, November 20, 10:35 AM

Good morning skiers and riders! We are excited to share that we will be opening for the season this Thursday, November 23 at 9:00 a.m.!

Snowmaking has been cranking on Cascade, Canyon, River Run, Free Fall, and Launch Pad, all of which we plan to open this Thursday along with Bluebird Express, Challenger, and Discovery Shuttle scheduled to spin from 9 to 4.

You'll also see snowmaking going strong on Long John and The Gulch, which won't be ready to open just yet but we'll share updates when we have them."
2024 - Killington lied.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Nov 20th, '23, 11:32 Mount Snow opens Thursday.

Good morning skiers and riders! We are excited to share that we will be opening for the season this Thursday, November 23 at 9:00 a.m.!

Snowmaking has been cranking on Cascade, Canyon, River Run, Free Fall, and Launch Pad, all of which we plan to open this Thursday along with Bluebird Express, Challenger, and Discovery Shuttle scheduled to spin from 9 to 4.

You'll also see snowmaking going strong on Long John and The Gulch, which won't be ready to open just yet but we'll share updates when we have them."
Meanwhile up the road at "The Beast"

"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

ski wrote: Nov 20th, '23, 15:37

Gonna have to change your name to "Squish"
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

ski wrote: Nov 20th, '23, 15:37
Southside_Bobby wrote: Nov 20th, '23, 11:32 Mount Snow opens Thursday.

Looks like it needs some fresh mulch.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22