Poaching

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: Poaching

Post by snoloco »

As I said earlier it's common for passes to be taken for poaching. Killington was an outlier before. However, the use of hidden cameras, if that is what is happening, is totally uncalled for. The bigger problem is that I see a growing divide between the people who have supported the mountain for years, and the people who management wants to attract. Fast tracks, expanded paid parking, and now the new safety patrol, are all part of this. No one asked for the first two. I do believe there was a legitimate issue with reckless skiers, but it could've been fixed with a minor increase in patrol presence. Now every indication is that they'll go too far and pull a lot of passes where it's really not justified. I'm getting to a point where I would not be surprised if they try to shut down the tailgate party at the BMMC again, or at Superstar in the spring, if they don't just shorten the season altogether.

I'm all for ski resorts broadening their appeal to more demographics, but attract new customers, and keep the old ones. In my opinion, aggressively pulling passes, taking away the closest parking, and allowing people to pay to cut the lift lines have the effect of pushing out the old customers. I hate that it has to turn into a class war like this. I used to support the village because I felt it would lead to a lot of on-mountain improvements, and provide better lodging options, but I feel like I need to reconsider whether I'm in favor of the project or not, as well as whether I should continue being a passholder. So far this year, I've been disappointed more than anything.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

wtf021 wrote: Dec 8th, '23, 20:37 I find it hard to believe that K management went from almost not caring at all about poaching to setting up cameras and using AI to bag people. There has to be something else at play here. One thing I haven’t heard anyone mention is K’s image/reputation. Is there any chance they are looking to change it as we get closer to the construction of the village?
I hate to say it but this has always been the logical outcome of the village. A bunch of people who can afford million dollar ski condos are not going to be comfortable with the rif raf that skis Killington historically. With so much high end property at the mountain there will need to be more over sight and Shanagains can not be tolerated. The minute the village proposal happened in earnest a couple years ago, the first thing my SO said was “Oh boy, there goes our way of life”. We had hoped it would not not happen before the village was built so we thought we had a few more years. The crack down on poaching can be taken in isolation and we don’t yet know what the anti reckless skiing patrol looks like. So this may not be the beginning of the end. But it may be the start of the end of the special place we all love. It did always seem too good to be true.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

I wonder if Great Gulf will end up buying Killington...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

And 16 dollar beers got the riff raff out of the bars
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Love how this discussion has now morphed into a conspiracy theory by management to change the composition of the people who visit K.

You people are buying way too far into the rumor mill. I'm still pretty skeptical that there are trail cams, but I'm fairly certain there's no AI involved. That technology is still in its infancy and very expensive.

I think some people at K just got pissed that a bunch of people poached some lines they really shouldn't have early season, possibly putting in danger their workers, and K has decided to make a statement here. That's what this looks like to me.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

From what I've heard, not sure "A-I" is being used. Its pretty simple to just have someone review camera footage, especially if time/date stamped, to match the poacher with their pass info.

Regardless - I know of at least one "false positive" pass pull that happened to a friend of mine, a local, the other day. Might be the same one SkiVT mentioned. I was skiing with him a couple of days ago and know that we didn't poach any trails; it was one of the few times the canyon was open. We had a great time and then about a day later he told me his pass was pulled. A day after that he let me know that K apologized for their mistake.

Pretty embarassing if you ask me.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 08:04 Love how this discussion has now morphed into a conspiracy theory by management to change the composition of the people who visit K.

You people are buying way too far into the rumor mill. I'm still pretty skeptical that there are trail cams, but I'm fairly certain there's no AI involved. That technology is still in its infancy and very expensive.

I think some people at K just got pissed that a bunch of people poached some lines they really shouldn't have early season, possibly putting in danger their workers, and K has decided to make a statement here. That's what this looks like to me.
Nobody at Jackson Hole or Aspen, or Alta, or Big Sky has ever poached or skied to fast.........

Rich People who can't ski don't care if people are poaching a trail - they care if your going 50 down Great Eastern.........
whymoo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by whymoo »

If your pass does get pulled for the entire season make sure to file a chargeback on the pass purchase with your credit/debit card and claim that you never poached, even if you did. Chargebacks are really bad for businesses and it will teach Killington a lesson
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Bayfive wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 07:17 And 16 dollar beers got the riff raff out of the bars
Except for employees drinking at a discount. I’m sure them fancy pants rich folk just love hanging out with the likes of you. :roll:
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Bayfive wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 07:17 And 16 dollar beers got the riff raff out of the bars
Time to find out who this douche is and get him fired from K. I'm sure management does not want a low level employee bad mouthing customers.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Sheesh. If I could afford to drink I’d have less time to poach.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

as ive been saying to much ridicule since ive been posting here, they're trying to remove the riff raff and make this a WEALTHY SKIER MOUNTAIN. period. im laughing my ass off because now the 'comfortable' who at best detest the working class who make their skiing possible, are now being pushed out by the even wealthier. LOL. class warfare is fine and dandy until it comes after you. the working class should of made "better decisions" right? now whats the excuse?

dont believe me about the cameras? go ask patrol, theyll tell you. cant comment on AI (wouldnt be surprised), but there were definitely cameras set up on spillway when the canyon was closed.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

hillbangin wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 09:42
easyrider16 wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 08:04 Love how this discussion has now morphed into a conspiracy theory by management to change the composition of the people who visit K.

Nobody at Jackson Hole or Aspen, or Alta, or Big Sky has ever poached or skied to fast.........

Rich People who can't ski don't care if people are poaching a trail - they care if your going 50 down Great Eastern.........
theyre trying to sell some condos to wealthy people, what part of this are you not understanding?
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

G - smashed , happy holidays to you and yours , lighten up Frances
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

asher2789 wrote: Dec 9th, '23, 18:16 they're trying to remove the riff raff and make this a WEALTHY SKIER MOUNTAIN.
Is it too much to ask for credible conspiracy theories? Whatever happened to Occam’s Razor? Is there a shark jumping contest I’m unaware of?