world cup returns in 2024

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

world cup returns in 2024

Post by skiadikt »

you can the start the groaning now and begin complaining about the rollout ...

pending final calendar confirmation from FIS, the WC is scheduled for nov. 29 - dec. 1, 2024. the good news is that thanksgiving is as late as it can possibly be this year, giving them a little more breathing room in terms of snowmaking. this past year it was a week earlier which coupled with the fickle weather really put them under the gun.

the one thing we have to hope for is that they DON'T rent out the venue for the week after the race. that would potentially push back the opening of the supe pod until dec 12 which is absolutely unacceptable.

whatever problems the lift has had this spring, you can bet they'll be addressed this summer so the event runs as smoothly as possible.

https://mountaintimes.info/2024/05/15/k ... pW2cgYDsDq
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Big Bob
Postinator

Re: world cup returns in 2024

Post by Big Bob »

IE, the lift. How much do you spend fixing an old car knowing that you will be junking it within a year? It has to be safe and reliable, butt, there is a limit. Plus, how available are parts for this lift?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Big Bob wrote: May 15th, '24, 17:50 IE, the lift. How much do you spend fixing an old car knowing that you will be junking it within a year? It has to be safe and reliable, butt, there is a limit. Plus, how available are parts for this lift?
with the tv cameras rolling, do you think they're gonna allow a lift breakdown happen. they'll do everything "within reason" to prevent that.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

If I remember correctly, the trail rollout was pretty good in 2019, which had the same late Thanksgiving as this year. But their snowmaking was way better back then. I'm sure they'll still rent out the venue again. They couldn't care less about their regular customers.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

There's quite a bit of snowmaking pipe just below Superstar, and a fair bit of digging. Some new drainage pipes as well. Anyone know if it's replacement, or is there any capacity increase??
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Until you see new pumps being lowered into the Snowshed pumphouse any pipe replacement is not capacity related.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

skiadikt wrote: May 15th, '24, 17:29 the one thing we have to hope for is that they DON'T rent out the venue for the week after the race. that would potentially push back the opening of the supe pod until dec 12 which is absolutely unacceptable.

whatever problems the lift has had this spring, you can bet they'll be addressed this summer so the event runs as smoothly as possible.
Rental: Wanna bet? POWDR has no shame about monetizing anything.
Lift: Good luck finding a Rut-Vegas virgin to sacrifice, because that's what it'll take.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Bay Five?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Bayfive
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Bayfive »

Bay five was into the beers pretty good yesterday when he responded and was censored by the admins , probably a good thing
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Awwwwwwwwe
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Cool, I guess, and not surprising... seems as if it is here to stay. I'll probably end up going, although it is starting to get a little 'long in the tooth" (at least for me). Kind of the same every year.

I still would prefer it move to some sort of every other year type of schedule, but I don't know (doubt) that is possible from the perspective of the world cup organizers.
Don't Killington Pico
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

boston_e wrote: May 23rd, '24, 06:24 Cool, I guess, and not surprising... seems as if it is here to stay. I'll probably end up going, although it is starting to get a little 'long in the tooth" (at least for me). Kind of the same every year.

I still would prefer it move to some sort of every other year type of schedule, but I don't know (doubt) that is possible from the perspective of the world cup organizers.
feeling the same way. will continue to attend. but the alternating years probably isn't gonna happen.

the FIS likes doing it here and clearly the mtn feels there's value in it, so as long as that's the case, it'll keep going. my sense is that "when" the mikaela years are over, perhaps then interest will wane a bit. but (K's noted shortcomings aside) between the event and the coming village, it can and will be used as an important marketing tool moving forward.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

World cup returns in 2024

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Alternating years presumes some things that are not likely to happen.

Killington got this race when Aspen gave it up. If Killington gives it up to another mountain (who knows what mountain that would be), it won't get to dictate taking it back a year later. The likelihood that another resort would agree to an every other year deal is low.

This race is a good fit for Killington. It is a slot that few resorts want, given the challenging time of year. Killington has shown it has the snowmaking chops to make it happen. It is close to NYC Metro, making It the highest attended regular season event on the tour. I have no doubt that K, FIS and the athletes are very pleased with the arrangement. But if Killington gives up the race, FIS will focus their support on the next mountain that takes it. K will have no leverage to say they want it back every other year.

It may come to pass that Killington gives up this race. That may be for the best for a bunch of reasons. But when that happens, don't expect the race to be back again anytime soon, if ever.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: World cup returns in 2024

Post by hillbangin »

Southside_Bobby wrote:Alternating years presumes some things that are not likely to happen.

Killington got this race when Aspen gave it up. If Killington gives it up to another mountain (who knows what mountain that would be), it won't get to dictate taking it back a year later. The likelihood that another resort would agree to an every other year deal is low.

This race is a good fit for Killington. It is a slot that few resorts want, given the challenging time of year. Killington has shown it has the snowmaking chops to make it happen. It is close to NYC Metro, making It the highest attended regular season event on the tour. I have no doubt that K, FIS and the athletes are very pleased with the arrangement. But if Killington gives up the race, FIS will focus their support on the next mountain that takes it. K will have no leverage to say they want it back every other year.

It may come to pass that Killington gives up this race. That may be for the best for a bunch of reasons. But when that happens, don't expect the race to be back again anytime soon, if ever.
I'd give it up when Shiff retires....

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

skiadikt wrote: May 23rd, '24, 08:34
boston_e wrote: May 23rd, '24, 06:24 Cool, I guess, and not surprising... seems as if it is here to stay. I'll probably end up going, although it is starting to get a little 'long in the tooth" (at least for me). Kind of the same every year.

feeling the same way. will continue to attend. but the alternating years probably isn't gonna happen.

the FIS likes doing it here and clearly the mtn feels there's value in it, so as long as that's the case, it'll keep going. my sense is that "when" the mikaela years are over, perhaps then interest will wane a bit. but (K's noted shortcomings aside) between the event and the coming village, it can and will be used as an important marketing tool moving forward.
Ditto for us. We have enjoyed the experience but it’s lost its luster for the most part. But will likely go unless something else big comes up for us that weekend… sure we will have fun if we go - at the same time wouldn’t be crushed at all if it went away for a while.

I get why every other year wouldn’t work in the eyes of the World Cup circuit.