2020 Election

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: 2020 Election

Post by easyrider16 »

Not much Congress can do without a constitutional amendment. In theory they could impeach and remove a judge, but we all know that neither side will be able to get a 2/3 majority in the Senate because each side would protect their judges regardless of indiscretions or crimes committed.

What I would love to see happen is an amendment for term limits staggered so that each president gets to appoint at least one judge during a four-year term. There's also an argument to be made that judges should be selected in a different way that allows for more accountability to the public (elections? chosen by congress instead of president? idk).
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: May 23rd, '24, 07:46
It's pretty clear that the Republican goal is to legislate from the bench because their views are losing popular appeal and elections are becoming more difficult for them.
That had been the Democrats’ playbook for many years as they couldn’t get much of their agenda through Congress. The shoe is on the other foot at the moment but apparently some judges think it’s ok to flaunt the foot’s smell.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The Democrats may have had that agenda, but I don't think the Court was complicit. Since 1981 when O'Connor was appointed, SCOTUS had a balance of 4 conservatives, 4 liberals, and one moderate until 2005. That's when Roberts was appointed after O'Connor retired. I believe he tried to fill the moderate role, although he was slightly more right leaning.

Most of the decisions that conservatives like to complain about (Roe v. Wade for example) came out of a very balanced court. That's no longer the case.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: May 23rd, '24, 06:46Imagine if it were one of the liberal justices making overtly political gestures?
Seeing how MAGA wanted the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff hung for treason …. I can only imagine the reaction if someone like KBJ put up a BLM flag out front her home.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

All the election fraud claims from the GOP and posters here saying 'we'll see' and sure enough it was the GOP the whole time!

Regretful Wisconsin fake elector says he was tricked into signing phony document claiming Trump won in 2020
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wisconsin- ... =450016123
Special Counsel Jack Smith alleges the multistate scheme was designed to position VP Mike Pence to replace legitimate electors’ votes for Biden with fake elector votes for Trump and certify Trump as president.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

More election fraud ...

Trump allies Chesebro, Troupis, Roman charged in Wisconsin over fake electors scheme
https://baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2024 ... e-electors
Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul has filed charges against Kenneth Chesebro, James Troupis and Michael Roman, three allies of former President Donald Trump, in relation to the fake elector scheme aiming to overturn his 2020 election loss in the state to Joe Biden.

Each person was charged with a felony count of forgery. The charges were filed in Dane County Circuit Court.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Hopefully forgery isn't the only felony charge. These people deserve a very harsh penalty that deters people in the future from doing the same. I'm thinking ten years and a $500k fine for the followers of the plan and even more for those that orchestrated it. They are straight up traitors.

What I want to know is how did they possibly think they'd get away with it? It's the equivalent of someone walking into a bank without a disguise to try and rob it, getting laughed at and failing at the crime. These are some of the dumbest criminals ever.

This is classic by the WI governor

https://x.com/GovEvers/status/1798003138848502228
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: May 23rd, '24, 06:46 Blamed the first one on his wife. Classic. Imagine if it were one of the liberal justices making overtly political gestures?
Here's the neighbor on CNN sharing her side of the story. Did Alito lie in his letter to congress?

https://x.com/rgoodlaw/status/1798517646075544013
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I dunno, Alito could have just remembered it wrong. His wife sounds like a real piece of work, though. That's based on both sides of the story, because Alito's side doesn't exactly paint his wife in a good light, either.

I have plenty enough to criticize about Alito from his work product, most notably his opinion in Dobbs, which strikes me as one of the least well-reasoned and most overtly political SCOTUS decisions I've ever read.