Snowmaking - It's Not The Same

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: Snowmaking - It's Not The Same

Post by newpylong1 »

I am sure there is a rough max number but "# of guns" is pretty much just a marketing phrase. The actual number is highly dependent on what trails are charged, what equipment is being used, and what the wet bulb is.

That said, I'd say they are at that number (whatever it is) given how much they have out running. You would not see the hours still piling up on Snowdon resurfacing if they weren't about to get kicked in the nuts again.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Lot of guns today, in what was marginal conditions. Looked to be lousy 24 hour production on Snowshed. That’s a massive amount of acreage to cover at low elevation. They need a way to incrementally open it.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 15:30 Looked to be lousy 24 hour production on Snowshed. That’s a massive amount of acreage to cover at low elevation. They need a way to incrementally open it.
They usually do that in halves, right first then left. As opposed to Header, which is lower first, and then ...
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 15:44
rogman wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 15:30 Looked to be lousy 24 hour production on Snowshed. That’s a massive amount of acreage to cover at low elevation. They need a way to incrementally open it.
They usually do that in halves, right first then left. As opposed to Header, which is lower first, and then ...
People at the top of Header...
were_waiting.png
were_waiting.png (198.62 KiB) Viewed 650 times
I'll take sh*t that ain't gonna happen for $200, Alex...

Actually, what they've done with Ramshead is ridiculous. Skiers left they gave to KMS, Skier right they turned into a terrain park. Down the middle, they don't blow any snow. Seriously? This is the family friendly area?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

It's basically just Caper and Easy Street that they left as normal trails. I agree that it's ridiculous to omit Upper Header.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

That's a run you just gotta cover T2B (ideally after Caper). Based on the resourcefulness I've seen this year so far I'm cautiously optimistic if it ever gets cold we'll see it. You would think Ski School would be riding them harder than anyone to get it done.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Things to not care about: No snow making on Upper Header. :violin
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

throbster wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 20:44 Things to not care about: No snow making on Upper Header. :violin
Ok bro. Maybe if you were skiing with kids, you would have a different outlook.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

rogman wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 18:44
Mister Moose wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 15:44
People at the top of Header...
were_waiting.png
I'll take sh*t that ain't gonna happen for $200, Alex...

Actually, what they've done with Ramshead is ridiculous. Skiers left they gave to KMS, Skier right they turned into a terrain park. Down the middle, they don't blow any snow. Seriously? This is the family friendly area?
It is pretty odd what they have done (even without making snow on upper header but forever delaying snowmaking there just magnifies it). In the family friendly area they have a big mix of Race Kids, Lessons, uphill routes and lower-intermediate-level park rat types.
Don't Killington Pico
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

rogman wrote: Dec 5th, '22, 18:44

This can be wholly blamed on Woodward's partnership with Powder and the former ski school director who implemented and designed these changes . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Rebecca says the pattern change is comming soon. Snowmaking weather and possibly some of the real stuff. Read all about it.

https://www.facebook.com/rebeccanortheastweather
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Initially they could skip a few of the "hits" in the terrain park to cover Header. Its relatively flat and not rocky so it doesn't need 3 feet of snow to cover it.

Also disagree with taking Ramshead and mixing all of the "non family" skiers and riders over there. While we're bitching lets mention the damn MTB course through squeeze play...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Regarding Header, anyone who has younger kids (myself) or is trying to teach someone how to ride cares about it. I heard there's quite a few of those at K and not just those that want to slay the Fiddle all day. It's really hard to beat Header T2B to give novices more confidence to go elsewhere. It's just ideal.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Dec 6th, '22, 08:48, edited 3 times in total.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Be thankful for small things ..
The 'session' peeps at Sugarbush have barely anything to bonk .. maybe 200' with a couple pipe and flat hits.

The blue collar language from knuckleheads at the top of these parks is disgusting. Earbuds are crucial. That's not something most folks want their kids listening to.

Need a big pig pen at these venues ..

:shock:
Forever .. Goat Path
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Where is this family ski zone that you are all referring to?

The ramshead lifeline is full of park rats who curse every other word.

Does K still refer to ramhead as a family zone?