Skiing After a Heart Attack

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

freeski
Post Office

Re: Skiing After a Heart Attack

Post by freeski »

PP: Thank you for your thoughtful answer. Some good advice in there. This is all new to me and am overwhelmed by what is a steep long learning curve and I need to get this right. Weight is an important part of getting back to normal and yea I'm taking a beta blocker, ace inhibitor and two diuretics and a low dose aspirin. I'm 51 and never been on any medicine for more than a couple of weeks. Goal is to get the ejection fraction as close to normal as possible.
Glad to hear you have had a strong long lasting recovery. It's encouraging. :-)
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

freeski wrote:PP: Thank you for your thoughtful answer. Some good advice in there. This is all new to me and am overwhelmed by what is a steep long learning curve and I need to get this right. Weight is an important part of getting back to normal and yea I'm taking a beta blocker, ace inhibitor and two diuretics and a low dose aspirin. I'm 51 and never been on any medicine for more than a couple of weeks. Goal is to get the ejection fraction as close to normal as possible.
Glad to hear you have had a strong long lasting recovery. It's encouraging. :-)
Hope you are well on the way to recovery Buddy Roo.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

After I broke my back my surgeon said you cannot ski anymore or you may become paralyzed from the waist down.
So I took up snowboarding. You need to listen to your doctor very carefully!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Not mentioned by anyone yet is a program known as cardiac rehab. Various hospitals run these programs for those who've had heart attacks, stents, etc. and the programs consist of both monitored exercise and education.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Woodsrider wrote:After I broke my back my surgeon said you cannot ski anymore or you may become paralyzed from the waist down.
Why would boarding be better ?

Or did you not tell him you had taken it up?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:After I broke my back my surgeon said you cannot ski anymore or you may become paralyzed from the waist down.
Why would boarding be better ?

Or did you not tell him you had taken it up?
I didn't tell him. I'm an idiot. Don't be like me. I ended up back in surgery after riding an awesome southern storm on Hunter West.
However, snowboarding is better for my back but I have no idea why. It just doesn't hurt as bad. Same with mountain biking. It just hurts less than dirtbike riding.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:Not mentioned by anyone yet is a program known as cardiac rehab. Various hospitals run these programs for those who've had heart attacks, stents, etc. and the programs consist of both monitored exercise and education.
I didn't find it as beneficial to myself as doing it on my own.

But others may have a different/better experience.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Bubba wrote:Not mentioned by anyone yet is a program known as cardiac rehab. Various hospitals run these programs for those who've had heart attacks, stents, etc. and the programs consist of both monitored exercise and education.

I would think that a person who has had a heart attack (as opposed to just having stents put in) would find a monitored and guided program to be beneficial, especially if concerned about how much or how often to exercise following the event.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

I would think that a person who has had a heart attack (as opposed to just having stents put in) would find a monitored and guided program to be beneficial, especially if concerned about how much or how often to exercise following the event.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I skied after a moose attack. No lingering issues...
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Stormchaser wrote:I skied after a moose attack. No lingering issues...
After that moose was discharged I hear her mate is looking for you. :D
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?