Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

nice to see the pair respond
nancie2k
Slalom Racer

Post by nancie2k »

:lol: :lol:
it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :)
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

I don't know of they still have helitours of the canyon, but they are incredible. They were quite expensive, but well worth it (I got mine for free courtesy of Uncle Sam).

I do know that some sort of draconian noise abatement rules are in place (for good reason) which impacted the tours.... and I think they may have done away with them all together.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

yeti wrote:I don't know of they still have helitours of the canyon, but they are incredible. They were quite expensive, but well worth it (I got mine for free courtesy of Uncle Sam).

I do know that some sort of draconian noise abatement rules are in place (for good reason) which impacted the tours.... and I think they may have done away with them all together.
I flew the entire length of the grand canyon at near rim height in the 80's while delivering an airplane from Long Beach, CA. I heeded the cautions not to descend below the rim, apparently there are some nasty downdrafts in there that can ruin your day. One thing not usually mentioned is how much the canyon varies over its length. If you only see it from one tourist stop, you've only seen one painting in an entire artist's collection. The variety in shape, vegetation, geology, colors, depths is impressive. I remember thinking about 100 miles east of Vegas, where there were many 'islands' of flat plateaus that end in a cliff hundreds of feet high, "I could land it there if I have to" followed by "How would they find me/get to me?" Desolation doesn't begin to describe it. Definately glad I took that trip, and glad nothing broke while doing it. The real Rutvegas.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Went last Nov

Did a bunch of day trips by bus, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Grand Canyon, Helicopter ride into the canyon on the Indian Reservation, River rafting, one of the best trips ever, stayed in Vegas at Circus Circus, would do it again but would stay at a different hotel, too many kids at Circus Circus.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on May 15th, '05, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

yeti wrote:I don't know of they still have helitours of the canyon,
They do, but only on the Indian Reservation.

Big file, right click , then save as

http://www.killingtonzone.com/albums/al ... n_trip.wmv
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage
Pocono Brit
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Pocono Brit »

I've been to the north and south rim, both equally stunning. The north is less crowded and touristy, but I found the south ok also.

If time is important, go the north, then you'll have time to go to Zion and Bryce without having to drive al the way round (about 250 miles). I loved Bryce. It's obviously not on the scale of the GC, but is still as beautiful and breathtaking.

One other thing, all of the parks I mentioned are prone to fog. Don't panic if you get there and can't see anything!. Generally it will clear. You'll also find it very difficult to pull yourself away when it's time to leave. Make sure you go after Labor Day to avoid crowds and higher lodging costs.
Dr Z
Powderhound

Post by Dr Z »

Does it count if I say I flew down through the canyon once? :shock:

I am - entertainment for the lift line!
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Dr Z wrote:Does it count if I say I flew down through the canyon once? :shock:
Hey, you're a REAL Doc, you should be able to count ot one...I've seen you holding at least............................................
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Wrong forum
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage