Tariff man strikes again

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Tariff man strikes again

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:Prepare for a big drop in the stock market today thanks to Trump ratcheting up the rhetoric against China and China responding with a middle finger. Like I said above, the man is clueless on how to make these kinds of deals.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/05/traders ... hreat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW I do think no, you do not thinkthat CNBC article is a bit alarmist again that would be you mr sky is falling daily......, because ultimately I think Trump will back down. He needs a deal with China more than China needs it with him. He's just being the usual bluffing bully that he is, and China will call his bluff. At least that's what I'm hoping.
god yer fvcking stupid....seriously...a fvcking imbecile...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

The rural areas of this country are where Trump has the greatest support. These tariffs are already reducing quality and availability of healthcare in a major way in these areas. Now farmer Brown not only can't sell his soy to his former largest customer, but he has to travel 100+ miles into the city for basic procedures he used to be able to get at the local hospital.

This isn't just about the cost of trinkets at Walmart. Healthcare is taking a huge hit. About 60% of everything you see inside a hospital originates from China. Tariffs won't bring that manufacturing back stateside not would a sane person want it to. The 1300+ critical access hospitals in the country are the ones getting hit the hardest. Idiot Trump supporters in those areas are literally voting against their own health.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:Prepare for a big drop in the stock market today thanks to Trump ratcheting up the rhetoric against China and China responding with a middle finger. Like I said above, the man is clueless on how to make these kinds of deals.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/05/traders ... hreat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW I do think that CNBC article is a bit alarmist, because ultimately I think Trump will back down. He needs a deal with China more than China needs it with him. He's just being the usual bluffing bully that he is, and China will call his bluff. At least that's what I'm hoping.
yuge... :roll:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:

BTW I do think that CNBC article is a bit alarmist, because ultimately I think Trump will back down. He needs a deal with China more than China needs it with him. He's just being the usual bluffing bully that he is, and China will call his bluff. At least that's what I'm hoping.
The Dow was down close to 500 early then recovered over the course of the day as the market concluded Trump was bluffing.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:

The Dow was down close to 500 early then recovered over the course of the day as the market concluded Trump was bluffing.
yeah that was it... :roll:
mach es sehr schnell

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Trade has been his #1 issue going back to June of 89 with China the Biggest target.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

If we launch a firecracker off a destroyer in the straight at Iran there goes 20% of the DOW.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:

And today it's down 630 points and heading lower. But facts should never get in the way of a good argument! :banana:
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:
Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Kpdemello wrote:Prepare for a big drop in the stock market today thanks to Trump ratcheting up the rhetoric against China and China responding with a middle finger. Like I said above, the man is clueless on how to make these kinds of deals.chinese delegation is still coming...

And today it's down 630 points and heading lower. But facts should never get in the way of a good argument! :banana:
yeah cuz timing is irrelevant...did the market re-conclude today that he wasn't bluffing?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd=premium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lighthizer and Mnuchin told reporters on Monday that the Chinese backsliding became apparent during their visit to Beijing last week, but that they had been reassured by their Chinese interlocutors that everything would turn out.

That changed over the weekend when China sent through a new draft of an agreement that included them pulling back on language in the text on a number of issues, which had the “potential to change the deal very dramatically,” Mnuchin said. At that stage about 90 percent of the pact had been finalized, he said, and the Chinese wanted to reopen areas that had already been negotiated.

“We are not willing to go back on documents that have been negotiated in the past,” he said.

According to two people familiar with the U.S.’s position, China backtracked on committing to legal changes that American officials saw as key to selling the deal domestically as the biggest concession any U.S. administration has ever gotten from China.

Such perceived foot-dragging has emboldened the trade hawks who advise Trump to keep the pressure on China.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/us/p ... e=Homepage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But Mr. Mnuchin said it became “particularly clear over the weekend” that the Chinese had moved negotiations “substantially backwards.”

China, which depends on the United States economy for trade, said on Monday that it still planned to send a delegation to the United States this week for talks. On Tuesday in China, Chinese officials said it would include Vice Premier Liu He, who has led the talks for the Chinese. Previously, Chinese officials had been reconsidering whether Mr. Liu should go.

The threat of additional tariffs poses a major problem for Mr. Xi, who had been counting on a trade deal to keep China’s growth engine humming.

China’s economic growth began to slow last year as Beijing tried to tame the country’s overreliance on lending. Mr. Trump’s initial tariffs last year hurt Chinese manufacturers and consumer confidence, worsening the slowdown. China’s economic slowdown limited Mr. Xi’s options to retaliate against American tariffs and put pressure on him to reach a deal.

In recent months, thanks in part to new lending, China’s slowdown appeared to stabilize. The prospect of a trade deal also increased consumer and investor confidence and led many economists to project that China’s growth would improve.

New tariffs could derail that progress.

“If tariffs are hiked this Friday and new tariffs come soon after that, the biggest negative impact will likely occur in the next few months,” Tao Wang, an economist specializing in China at UBS, said in a research note.

She estimated that a full-blown trade war with the United States could cut China’s economic growth rate by 1.6 to 2 percentage points over the next 12 months. That would be a considerable cut: Last year, China’s economy grew 6.6 percent, according to official figures, and the government has set an official target of 6 to 6.5 percent this year.

On Monday, Mr. Trump repeated his insistence that China rebalance its economic relationship with the United States and end its role as a net exporter of goods.
so do you want him to cave or stand tall? either way yer gonna b!tch...

I say continue to stand up to china and try to hold their feet to the fire cuz contrary to your rationale china needs the US a lot more than we need them..

FYI dow closed down 472 today...but down days are never good ...your criteria to ( inaccurately) predict them was based purely on your hatred for trump and a news...investors don't necessarily share your emotion based druthers...I know it was a stellar day for you but try to contain your excitement at "almost" being right...I mean jeez all ya did was parrot the may 5th cnbc article that you called "alarmist" then proceeded to sound the alarm anyway with your ( cnbc's)"prediction" of a big market drop...not exactly prescient...

funnier yet the article is also updated to read

Dow makes stunning comeback, recovering nearly all of 471-point plunge on hope trade deal not dead
PUBLISHED SUN, MAY 5 2019 5:09 PM EDT UPDATED MON, MAY 6 2019 9:33 PM EDT

mach es sehr schnell

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Can anyone actually articulate what Trump's trade plan actually is? As it stands, all he's done is play on people's emotions and offered zero substance to why he has taken "national security" powers to launch a trade war. It's all been "China bad, we lose billions of dollars"

So for those that support his actions:

What are the terms of the deal he wants?

How does America benefit?

What do you predict the trade deficit will be two years after Trump signs his big deal?

How many jobs come back to the US because of that deal?

Do we have the workforce to support those jobs?

What will those jobs pay?

What will CPI look like two years from the deal signing?

Thus far all he seems to be doing is asking for blind faith. His supporters are happy to oblige. Why?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:Can anyone actually articulate what Trump's trade plan actually is? As it stands, all he's done is play on people's emotions and offered zero substance to why he has taken "national security" powers to launch a trade war. It's all been "China bad, we lose billions of dollars"

So for those that support his actions:

What are the terms of the deal he wants?

How does America benefit?

What do you predict the trade deficit will be two years after Trump signs his big deal?

How many jobs come back to the US because of that deal?

Do we have the workforce to support those jobs?

What will those jobs pay?

What will CPI look like two years from the deal signing?

Thus far all he seems to be doing is asking for blind faith. His supporters are happy to oblige. Why?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-m ... m_OsYGcB4g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

deadheadskier wrote:Can anyone actually articulate what Trump's trade plan actually is? As it stands, all he's done is play on people's emotions and offered zero substance to why he has taken "national security" powers to launch a trade war. It's all been "China bad, we lose billions of dollars"
Here's my take. Trump thinks our trade relationship with China is problematic for a number of reasons, and he wants to address it. (I don't necessarily disagree with that part).

The problem for Trump, though, is he has no experience in government and doesn't know how to work with others to forge policy, domestically or diplomatically. He's used to being the chief executive - he orders something, and it gets done, or he fires people. That doesn't work in government. You can't fire Congress. But Trump can't get Congress to do anything, even when it was majority Republican. So he needed another way to accomplish his goal.

So he cites to this rarely used statute to unilaterally impose tariffs and bully China into an agreement. He doesn't need approval from anyone and can just do what he wants without opposition.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

So Trump is dropping steel and aluminium tariffs with Canada and Mexico. From my reading it looks like he did it because of pressure from Congress and is getting nothing in return except the removal of retaliatory tariffs. So.. is this the first crack before total capitulation in the trade war?

Also, wtf with this?
Mr. Trump has repeatedly criticized Europe for flooding the American market with cars while limiting imports of United States vehicles, and has called for revised trade terms that make the relationship more fair. But he also previously rejecteda more straightforward proposal from Europe to simply scrap automotive tariffs on both sides
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEF ... id=US%3Aen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So we can scrap tariffs on both sides and he says no? Why? Because they won't buy more farm products? Frankly, that makes little sense to me. I imagine auto is far more important to our economy than farm products.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Kpdemello wrote:So Trump is dropping steel and aluminium tariffs with Canada and Mexico. From my reading it looks like he did it because of pressure from Congress and is getting nothing in return except the removal of retaliatory tariffs. So.. is this the first crack before total capitulation in the trade war?

Also, wtf with this?
Mr. Trump has repeatedly criticized Europe for flooding the American market with cars while limiting imports of United States vehicles, and has called for revised trade terms that make the relationship more fair. But he also previously rejecteda more straightforward proposal from Europe to simply scrap automotive tariffs on both sides
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEF ... id=US%3Aen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So we can scrap tariffs on both sides and he says no? Why? Because they won't buy more farm products? Frankly, that makes little sense to me. I imagine auto is far more important to our economy than farm products.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I don’t understand why scrapping the tariffs isn’t received well, but auto is a major export ... not as big as farming (soybeans alone account for $22B).
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

According to what I just googled, you seem to be incorrect. Auto exports exceed agriculture.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united- ... 0-exports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-imports- ... cs-3306270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just don't understand it. It seems like an easy win - tariffs come off both sides, you get to declare victory, etc. I suspect it's partly about pandering to certain parts of his base, like auto workers and agriculture. But Trump also seems to lack a basic understanding of trade dynamics. He keeps trying to get foreign governments to agree to increase purchases of various products (e.g. soybeans). But that's not how this works. Governments don't do the buying. What does he expect them to do, force their people to buy U.S. products?