U.S. Women's Soccer Team

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: U.S. Women's Soccer Team

Post by Mister Moose »

Kaepernick was free to kneel during the anthem, viewers were free to change channels, fans were free to not buy tickets, and the 49ers were free to not renew his contract.

I'm betting sports contracts now have quietly added a clause regarding forms of political protest while at work.

As for Ripinoe, sure, she's free to kneel, wave, or give the finger. I'm sure the US Soccer organization is free to play her as they see fit.

Why doesn't every team member kneel, I mean doesn't every team member on every team in every sport have at least one cause they are interested in? Think of it, everyone kneeling for their own personal cause. It could be gay rights, cancer research, or even Bicknell's Thrush preservation. Then we could all be united in saying the country isn't perfect, and has faults, and we certainly can't celebrate what unifies us and our common heritage until there are no faults.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

I pretty much agree with Moose on all points above.

But I would add that the irrational anger that some people seem to harbor over this peaceful protest is unhealthy. One could argue that it is more disrespectful to be offended by a peaceful protest than it is to actually engage in the protest by kneeling during the anthem. If our troops fought and died for such rights, we should respect their peaceful exercise.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:I pretty much agree with Moose on all points above. you have no clue wtf he even said...

But I would add that the irrational anger that some people seem to harbor over this peaceful protest is unhealthy. One could argue that it is more disrespectful to be offended by a peaceful protest than it is to actually engage in the protest by kneeling during the anthem. If our troops fought and died for such rights, we should respect their peaceful exercise.
^^OBLIVIOUS^^
Why doesn't every team member kneel, I mean doesn't every team member on every team in every sport have at least one cause they are interested in? Think of it, everyone kneeling for their own personal cause.
but I would add :roll:

why not protest at funerals? weddings? religious ceremonies? graduation ceremonies? anywhere people are gathered for some reason other than to bear witness to your protest?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

madhatter wrote:
Kpdemello wrote:I pretty much agree with Moose on all points above. you have no clue wtf he even said...

^^OBLIVIOUS^^
Why doesn't every team member kneel, I mean doesn't every team member on every team in every sport have at least one cause they are interested in? Think of it, everyone kneeling for their own personal cause.
but I would add :roll:

why not protest at funerals? weddings? religious ceremonies? graduation ceremonies? anywhere people are gathered for some reason other than to bear witness to your protest?
Because, they think they get to choose where you can and can't protest. One set of rules and laws for them, another set of rules and laws for their political opponents.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Speaking of Kap ....

“Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after former NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn’t sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive, according to people familiar with the matter.

The sneaker giant created the Air Max 1 USA in celebration of the July Fourth holiday, and it was slated to go on sale this week. The heel of the shoe featured a U.S. flag with 13 white stars in a circle, a design created during the American Revolution and commonly referred to as the Betsy Ross flag.”
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Because, they think they get to choose where you can and can't protest. One set of rules and laws for them, another set of rules and laws for their political opponents.
I'm unclear on what exactly you mean here. You're the one who's saying people shouldn't protest in a particular location? (ie during the anthem at sporting events). No one else said anything about restricting your right to protest where ever you like. What is the different set of rules and laws you're talking about?
Speaking of Kap ....

“Nike Inc. is yanking a U.S.A.-themed sneaker featuring an early American flag after former NFL star-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick told the company it shouldn’t sell a shoe with a symbol that he and others consider offensive, according to people familiar with the matter.

The sneaker giant created the Air Max 1 USA in celebration of the July Fourth holiday, and it was slated to go on sale this week. The heel of the shoe featured a U.S. flag with 13 white stars in a circle, a design created during the American Revolution and commonly referred to as the Betsy Ross flag.”
Technically, wearing the flag as an article of clothing is considered disrespectful. But I don't think that's what Kap was referring to. Apparently he thinks the Betsy Ross flag was a symbol of slavery.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nike- ... 2019-07-01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's most funny about this is how conservatives will likely criticize Kap for the notion that the revolutionary flag stood for slavery (which I agree is a little over the top), but won't bat an eye over the disrespect shown to the flag by using it as an article of clothing.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Kpdemello wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:Because, they think they get to choose where you can and can't protest. One set of rules and laws for them, another set of rules and laws for their political opponents.
I'm unclear on what exactly you mean here. You're the one who's saying people shouldn't protest in a particular location? (ie during the anthem at sporting events). No one else said anything about restricting your right to protest where ever you like. What is the different set of rules and laws you're talking about?
Speaking of Kap ....

Technically, wearing the flag as an article of clothing is considered disrespectful. But I don't think that's what Kap was referring to. Apparently he thinks the Betsy Ross flag was a symbol of slavery.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nike- ... 2019-07-01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
College campuses are a good example, where conservatives are denied access, or beaten up. The way the cesspool swamp deep state/police state let the filthy, dirty, lying, cheating, criminal, crooked Clinton get away with dozens of felonies, but the same cesspool swamp deep state/police state wrongfully accused their political opponents of the same or similar crimes and put them in jail. Even worse, put them in jail when they were innocent. They used their position of power for political gain, which is criminal. The cesspool swamp politicians taking away health insurance from tens of millions and taxing them and fining them, while they get to keep their tax payer funded Cadillac plans. The cesspool swamp having armed guards, but trying to take away and restrict our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The cesspool swamp building walls around their mansions, but denying a wall to protect it's own citizens. Finally, if you own or buy anything from Nike, you should burn it. If you wear it, every time you put it on remember that child labor in sweat shops in China was used to make it.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Kpdemello wrote:
Speaking of Kap ....

What's most funny about this is how conservatives will likely criticize Kap for the notion that the revolutionary flag stood for slavery (which I agree is a little over the top), but won't bat an eye over the disrespect shown to the flag by using it as an article of clothing.
Wearing AN ACTUAL flag as an article of clothing is a breach of flag etiquette. The Betsy Ross flag does not, in my opinion, symbolize slavery any more than today's flag which maintains many/most of the same characteristics.

It's not inconceivable to imagine a day where, in the name of social justice, we will start removing symbols of George Washington.

Anyway ... good opportunity to buy some nice Brooks ...
Attachments
D-eE75QXkAUTdnD.jpg
D-eE75QXkAUTdnD.jpg (189.81 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

f.a.s.t. wrote:College campuses are a good example, where conservatives are denied access, or beaten up. The way the cesspool swamp deep state/police state let the filthy, dirty, lying, cheating, criminal, crooked Clinton get away with dozens of felonies, but the same cesspool swamp deep state/police state wrongfully accused their political opponents of the same or similar crimes and put them in jail. Even worse, put them in jail when they were innocent. They used their position of power for political gain, which is criminal. The cesspool swamp politicians taking away health insurance from tens of millions and taxing them and fining them, while they get to keep their tax payer funded Cadillac plans. The cesspool swamp having armed guards, but trying to take away and restrict our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The cesspool swamp building walls around their mansions, but denying a wall to protect it's own citizens. Finally, if you own or buy anything from Nike, you should burn it. If you wear it, every time you put it on remember that child labor in sweat shops in China was used to make it.
All of these things may be valid issues for discussion but none of them were brought up in the context of this thread. I don't know what any of them have to do with protests during the national anthem, and how anything anyone said in this thread somehow creates a different set of rules for you versus them.
Last edited by Kpdemello on Jul 2nd, '19, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Wearing AN ACTUAL flag as an article of clothing is a breach of flag etiquette.
Not quite. See 4 U.S. Code § 8
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.
Seems pretty clear to me that printing the flag on a shoe is a violation of this provision.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Kpdemello wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Wearing AN ACTUAL flag as an article of clothing is a breach of flag etiquette.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Seems pretty clear to me that printing the flag on a shoe is a violation of this provision.
The code is referencing an ACTUAL FLAG.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Kpdemello wrote:

The code is referencing an ACTUAL FLAG.
That's a reach. It specifically says you can't embroider the the flag on cushions or print it on napkins. Those aren't actual flags but representations of the flag, which is clearly what the statute means.

But if you want to tell me that it's kind of a dumb rule, I would agree, and it isn't enforceable due to free speech protections. I'm just trying to point out how people get really selective on what they consider "disrespect" and it's usually not rationally based.
Last edited by Kpdemello on Jul 2nd, '19, 09:20, edited 2 times in total.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Kpdemello wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:College campuses are a good example, where conservatives are denied access, or beaten up. The way the cesspool swamp deep state/police state let the filthy, dirty, lying, cheating, criminal, crooked Clinton get away with dozens of felonies, but the same cesspool swamp deep state/police state wrongfully accused their political opponents of the same or similar crimes and put them in jail. Even worse, put them in jail when they were innocent. They used their position of power for political gain, which is criminal. The cesspool swamp politicians taking away health insurance from tens of millions and taxing them and fining them, while they get to keep their tax payer funded Cadillac plans. The cesspool swamp having armed guards, but trying to take away and restrict our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The cesspool swamp building walls around their mansions, but denying a wall to protect it's own citizens. Finally, if you own or buy anything from Nike, you should burn it. If you wear it, every time you put it on remember that child labor in sweat shops in China was used to make it.
All of these things may be valid issues for discussion but none of them were brought up in the context of this thread. I don't know what any of them have to do with protests during the national anthem, and how anything anyone said in this thread somehow creates a different set of rules for you versus them.
Do you have a reading and writing comprehension problem? I was answering your own damn question??????????????????????????
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Do you have a reading and writing comprehension problem? I was answering your own damn question??????????????????????????
Apparently you do. You made the claim that I somehow was establishing a different set of rules for me versus you when I posted about the anthem protests in this thread. I asked for clarification and you completely changed the subject to issues that I never referenced or took a position on.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Kpdemello wrote:

Isn't "The flag" the current version with square grid of fifty stars? The flag with a circle of 13 stars is a historical item, and is not the official flag of the US.

Is this offensive?

How about this?

Or this?

Oh no, it's a Nike Sneaker with a flag on it!!!