Memorial Day Weekend - 2020

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Memorial Day Weekend - 2020

Post by tyrolean_skier »

jimmywilson69 wrote:I can confirm FL is doing checkpoints. all cars on I-95 had to pull off at first weigh station. We were from PA they said. have a nice day if you were NY tagged you would have to pull off and fill out the information BoozeTan mentioned.

we had to drive to move my son out of his dorm room in Tampa. the only people passing me pre-dawn on I-95 were tagged NY and NJ. So obviously there are a lot of people heading down there that FL is concerned.
I wonder how many of those with NY and NJ plates were down there to move their kids out of dorm rooms just like you.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

good question. My Son goes to the University of Tampa which is 95% out of state students (its private so FL students go to the much cheaper state schools) and they were limiting how many folks could come each day. The place was a ghost town when we were there. there was only 1 other family on his floor and they were from CT. His 2 suitemates from Long Island had not moved their stuff out yet.

I didn't take notice to the demographic of the people in the cars passing me because it was dark. It just seemed odd to me that there were so many people traveling from those areas when they had a stay at home order and its basically the epicenter in the US.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

jimmywilson69 wrote: It just seemed odd to me that there were so many people traveling from those areas when they had a stay at home order and its basically the epicenter in the US.
Why does any able bodied 19-22 year old adult need help moving out of a dorm room? 1) Adult. 2) Local storage vs 1,000 miles round trip driving

And why would it further warrant traveling from an epicenter of infection?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Huh ?
Thankfully .. most parents support their children in times of need. Times like this qualify.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

brownman wrote:Huh ?
Thankfully .. most parents support their children in times of need. Times like this qualify.
What is the need?
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

:Toast
I'm with you, when it comes to your kid, that trumps all in my book. When Madhatter posted the 5/23/13 picture on the other thread and I looked up my skiing history, I stopped my ski season on 4/15/13 as my daughter lived in Boston (and worked right at the finish line) when the Marathon bombing happened. I wasn't going to be in a different state skiing in case there was some other incident, like I had been when the bombing happened.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
What is the need?
19-22 yrs old is an ADULT...of course many here are twice that age or more and are still children...

by that age I had a couple cars, a couple motorcycles, a job, a wife and my own place...

times have changed and many "children" are still parental dependent into their 30's... or longer...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Mister Moose wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote: It just seemed odd to me that there were so many people traveling from those areas when they had a stay at home order and its basically the epicenter in the US.
Why does any able bodied 19-22 year old adult need help moving out of a dorm room? 1) Adult. 2) Local storage vs 1,000 miles round trip driving

And why would it further warrant traveling from an epicenter of infection?
Most kids at all colleges left at the start of this without fully moving out (It happened over spring break for many), so a return trip is required to pack up their stuff. Not like they have all still been living quarantined in their dorms for the past 8 weeks.
Don't Killington Pico
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

thread took a weird turn...

as Boston_e says my son was home on Spring Break when this all went down. Thankfully

He has no car in Tampa, as this was his first year and living on campus. So at some point he was going to need our assistance with packing up his stuff and moving it to a storage unit. Not sure why this seems so foreign to some of you... Instead of flying down and renting a car we drove our car (which I had insisted i would never drive that far). Spent the night at my sisters in Charlotte and drove to Tampa moved him out in 2 hours and drove back to Charlotte in a 20 hour span. Kind of odd anyone would think helping their kid move out of college is an unnecessary activity.

Also PA is hardly the epicenter of the infection. at least where I'm at.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

jimmywilson69 wrote:thread took a weird turn...

as Boston_e says my son was home on Spring Break when this all went down. Thankfully

He has no car in Tampa, as this was his first year and living on campus. So at some point he was going to need our assistance with packing up his stuff and moving it to a storage unit. Not sure why this seems so foreign to some of you... Instead of flying down and renting a car we drove our car (which I had insisted i would never drive that far). Spent the night at my sisters in Charlotte and drove to Tampa moved him out in 2 hours and drove back to Charlotte in a 20 hour span. Kind of odd anyone would think helping their kid move out of college is an unnecessary activity.

Also PA is hardly the epicenter of the infection. at least where I'm at.
I think moose was commenting on this:
jimmywilson69 wrote:
It just seemed odd to me that there were so many people traveling from those areas when they had a stay at home order and its basically the epicenter in the US.
lots of questions as to what would be the most covid safe and cost effective means to accomplish what you ( and presumably many others from a variety of places, some no doubt hot spots...) did...

personally I think most "kids" are so parental dependent they have no desire whatsoever to have independence from them...at least as far as finance and logistics is concerned...

keep em on insurance an going to college well into their 20's ( grad school, co-op years etc) and you have people who have lived a third or more of their life expectancy totally supported by their often well-off parents...

there is almost no way any of them can possibly afford the lifestyle their parents have afforded them for the first 25 years of their life...even less so for the poetry and basket-weaving majors...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

I assumed most of those passing me on 95 were second home owners but who knows. it was just a weird site on a trip of weird sites. Like the gas station in northeast Tampa that had a Lamborghini, 2 of those bat mobile thingys that short ski has, and a slew of people just hanging around listening to Latin music. Me thinks there was more than just the selling of gas going on at this locale...

I think it depends on the parent but I do agree that a lot of parents aren't letting their kids grow up and especially aren't letting them fail. A good example, especially from the better to well off sect, would be the parents Facebook group for my sons college my wife is in. Holy sh*t some of those kids are F U C K E D.

I only have 1 kid. I've provided quite well for him. I also let him know that he has to work hard and that this life he has didn't come from a magic genie (although there are many times I wish it did!). He saved a bunch of money last summer to use during the school year for "expenditures". He was rather frugal to be honest and didn't even blow through all of what he saved. Sure I bought him some stuff he needed, but never once did he ask us for money for normal sh*t. He is taking a little bit of college loans each semester so that he has some skin in the game. Its not a ton, and hopefully he successfully become a Physicians Assistant (his current major) or something else successful that he won't be saddled with insurmountable debt. Wife and I even talked about potentially helping him pay them off later on, but for now its his debt and he is aware that poor grades equals more undergrad and more debt.

I also suspect that at once he moves off campus, he may or may not need me to help him move out. Even if he doesn't want the help I'll sure offer. Just like my parents did when I moved houses twice as an adult.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

jimmywilson69 wrote:I assumed most of those passing me on 95 were second home owners but who knows. it was just a weird site on a trip of weird sites. Like the gas station in northeast Tampa that had a Lamborghini, 2 of those bat mobile thingys that short ski has, and a slew of people just hanging around listening to Latin music. Me thinks there was more than just the selling of gas going on at this locale...

I think it depends on the parent but I do agree that a lot of parents aren't letting their kids grow up and especially aren't letting them fail. A good example, especially from the better to well off sect, would be the parents Facebook group for my sons college my wife is in. Holy sh*t some of those kids are F U C K E D.

I only have 1 kid. I've provided quite well for him. I also let him know that he has to work hard and that this life he has didn't come from a magic genie (although there are many times I wish it did!). He saved a bunch of money last summer to use during the school year for "expenditures". He was rather frugal to be honest and didn't even blow through all of what he saved. Sure I bought him some stuff he needed, but never once did he ask us for money for normal sh*t. He is taking a little bit of college loans each semester so that he has some skin in the game. Its not a ton, and hopefully he successfully become a Physicians Assistant (his current major) or something else successful that he won't be saddled with insurmountable debt. Wife and I even talked about potentially helping him pay them off later on, but for now its his debt and he is aware that poor grades equals more undergrad and more debt.

I also suspect that at once he moves off campus, he may or may not need me to help him move out. Even if he doesn't want the help I'll sure offer. Just like my parents did when I moved houses twice as an adult.
the eventual problem for most of these kids is that it's tough to have a nice house or apt in a safe neighborhood, a nice car, a nice cellphone and service, wifi/internet, pay the electric bill the heat bill the grocery bill, go skiing every weekend, take nice vacations, have expensive toys etc on what most of them make straight outta college...

in a nutshell they want what took you most of your life up til now to achieve...and they want that as a base or starting point...for many there will be a lifetime of disappointment....
mach es sehr schnell

DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I guess I should clarify what I wrote, my daughter didn't ask me not to ski, I felt that being available was more important, I doubt we even discussed it. But I'll always be her Dad until I die. And as a side note, she made a lot more money than me in her first year working fulltime than I ever earned per year.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

It's perfectly acceptable to move heaven and earth for your children. I wouldn't want to truck down to FL right now. But that's what a good parent does. We all want more for our kids. Nice work. :like :Toast
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

ANGUS wrote:It's perfectly acceptable to move heaven and earth for your children. I wouldn't want to truck down to FL right now. But that's what a good parent does. We all want more for our kids. Nice work. :like :Toast
+1