Back Behind Saloon For Sale

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Back Behind Saloon For Sale

Post by KingsFourMan »

hillbangin wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 16:55 Seems awful cheap for 14 flat acres considering what folks are paying for land and houses up the road?

What's wrong with it?
It's called flooding. Flood insurance isn't cheap and it's very unlikely that you will get a mortgage or loan on that property without it.
Attachments
image 33.jpg
image 33.jpg (224.6 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
flood31.jpg
flood31.jpg (241.64 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
flood32.jpg
flood32.jpg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

When were those pics taken? Irene?
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

daytripper wrote: Apr 7th, '22, 07:54 When were those pics taken? Irene?
Yes, Irene in 2011 and it wasn't the first time that area saw major flooding. There was severe flooding there in 1973 as well. There used to be pictures of the 73 flood hanging in the BBS before it sold to the current owners.

That used to be our favorite go to restaurant/bar in Killington before it sold to the current owners who worked hard at making it upscale. We ate there once under the new owners a long time ago, the food was good and we didn't have any issues with rudeness or service but upscale dining at the BBS just wasn't what we were looking for. We loved the laid back, out of the way, locals vibe of the old place and haven't been back there in at least 20 years. Hopefully someone can keep it going and turn it back into more of what it used to be under the original owners. Seems like that would be a better business model for that location and building rather than a fine dining restaurant.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

NEChairlifts/Skiing wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 20:51 A neat fun fact is that it looks like there used to be a trail down to the saloon cutting off one of the trails leading down to Sunrise base back when it was still in operation. You can see it on old maps. Anyone ever use that trail and ski to back behind while you still could?
Every Saturday we'd ski right to the door. The tough part was the trudge across the parking lot back to the chair after a good liquid lunch.
There were many days where we had those mid station trails to ourselves while Bear was bumper cars.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Noreaster was one of the best runs on the mountain. I wouldn't put it up there in the Sel Hannah category, but boy did it have character.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

newpylong1 wrote: Apr 7th, '22, 13:32 Noreaster was one of the best runs on the mountain. I wouldn't put it up there in the Sel Hannah category, but boy did it have character.
Noreaster Pics below from back in the day:

Get a load of the snowmaking cranking away on it on December 30th! Now we're lucky if they're making snow on Cascade in December.
Attachments
002 (700x502).jpg
002 (700x502).jpg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
003 (700x476).jpg
003 (700x476).jpg (79.13 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
001 (640x447).jpg
001 (640x447).jpg (73.93 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
05 (700x478).jpg
05 (700x478).jpg (80.33 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Awesome. An honorable mention to The Judge, Thunderball and Gold Dust, shorter but still sweet.
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

I miss Northeast passage so much. It was a great escape during crowds, easy access from rt 4 coming from south and had great skiing from the mid as posted above... One can dream, but I think the fork is deep in this one....
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Anyone know if the Back Behind sold?
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

My neighbor said that they saw some activity at the restaurant and said that he thought it seemed like they are trying to get the kitchen ready. That was just from him driving by, that, and the listing is down, that is all I know.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Whoa, nice pic, #2 KFM! fond memories of dining in front of that fireplace, it was "fine enough" dining back when.
Stopped in once under new ownership - Special of the Day: Chasing People Away. Never did ski that Northeast passage, dammit.
Hope it re-opens.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Wasn’t it part of a swap for trails somewhere else?
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Nikoli wrote: Oct 21st, '22, 21:38 Wasn’t it part of a swap for trails somewhere else?
No, Parkers Gore was swapped for land near the K 1 I believe. I think the lodge was sold to the snowmobile rental company. it was a nice lodge!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Nikoli wrote: Oct 21st, '22, 21:38 Wasn’t it part of a swap for trails somewhere else?
The Northeast Passage is not coming back. Some of the land has been sold, some developed. Accept that it is gone forever. The low elevation and east facing slopes make it poor candidate for expansion anyway. At one time there existed a plan that included all of the Northeast Passage, the Interconnect, and Pico. James Neiheus even drew a trail map. AFAIK, NEP wasn't traded away, it merely became superfluous. What was traded away was the rights to Parker's Gore, a potential water source but also considered bear habitat. The Otten deals that resulted in accessing water from Woodward Reservoir south down Rte 100, made expansion in that direction unnecessary. NEP, rather than being the anticipated gateway to that region, was fixed as the far southern edge of the Killington empire. Future expansion would focus on the Interconnect and Pico, which Otten bought out of bankruptcy in the same period. It seems unlikely that Preston Smith could have made the deals required: creating that empire had earned him a few enemies; there were people who simply would not negotiate with him.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

NEP certainly had some good skiing. definitely a place to get away from crowd. but in truth the "commute" sucked. also between the low elevation and exposure, would be difficult to keep snow on it now.
spoiled South American skiin' whore