South Ridge Triple coming down?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: South Ridge Triple coming down?

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Mistergiff wrote:Well I hope your are right and we can trust they'll put something back there. It really would be a shame to lose it forever. Just not so sure I can believe what they say at this point. The pessimist in me thinks that "someday" for South Ridge is the same "someday" that the interconnect gets built, they put the Birch Glades chair back at Pico, and blow a glacier on Superstar in March.
One for four...
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Highway Star wrote:
Geoff wrote:For all we know, Killington might be negotiating for a new Snowdon 6-pack now.
Really?
Highway Star wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:I'll take the 6 pack bet, not happening on Snowdon in the next 5 years.
Snowdon is the last gaping hole in their lift and trail system. It has the two worst chair lifts on the mountain (now that SQ and SRT are gone), and has the worst trail routing and intersections (now that snowshed crossover is closed). It's right in the middle of everything and tends to get a bunch of lower intermediate traffic - premium vacation vistors step up to it after rams head and snowshed, only to encounter bad traffic jams and slow lifts - not good. Having a positive intermediate experience on Snowdon is vital to get return visits of premium vacation customers, rentals, and eventually the village expansion.

You will see a 6-pak on snowdon, on the quad line, in the summer/fall of 2013. The poma and triple will be removed. There will be massive trail grading and traffic rerouting on the existing main snowmaking trail zone. Think Spruce peak at Stowe. Think blasting out mousetrap's steep pitch to blend it it with chute and upper bunnybuster.

They won't touch the snowdon trees because they are irrelevant to a large percentage of their revenue stream. The pitch does not at all lend itself to blue cruisers - steep followed by long runout. There is more than enough trail acreage on snowdon to support a 6-pak, and only a small percentage if people riding the lift will be headed to the trees. So don't worry about it.
I'd say Moose is winning so far...
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

skiadikt wrote:scary thing is this thread could go on for another couple years ...
How about four years now with no replacement plan. Ripping out this lift may be my favorite Killington improvement right after the New Peak Lodge.
Pipedream.jpg
Pipedream.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Lower Pipedream on March 3rd with hardly a mogul on it.
Afternoon Trees.jpg
Afternoon Trees.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 801 times
South Ridge Trees on afternoon of April 9th were untracked. They were sooooooo good that I had to pinch myself just to ensure that it wasn't a dream.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
skiadikt wrote:scary thing is this thread could go on for another couple years ...
How about four years now with no replacement plan. Ripping out this lift may be my favorite Killington improvement right after the New Peak Lodge.
Pipedream.jpg
Afternoon Trees.jpg
South Ridge Trees on afternoon of April 9th were untracked. They were sooooooo good that I had to pinch myself just to ensure that it wasn't a dream.
I can go for some of that POW right now! :Toast
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Pipedream.jpg
Afternoon Trees.jpg
Hey GIS, ya know I love Ya.....don't make me kill you....this is almost like giving up a secret stash....:-)
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

shortski wrote:Hey GIS, ya know I love Ya.....don't make me kill you....this is almost like giving up a secret stash....:-)
Why do I remember you telling me you don't ski trees?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Pipedream.jpg
Afternoon Trees.jpg

Gross violation of the secret stash rule - do not post pics - there's no snow making over there so it's not that good. Thin cover - very dangerous - no ski patol

I'm hoping that they take down the OL chair this year - nobody knows how to get to the fiddle without the ol chair......
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Pipedream.jpg
Afternoon Trees.jpg
Southridge never got much use even with the old lift. Currently it is reserved to much for my personal taste. Luckily some are in the club were the reserve restriction doesn't apply to them or they think so.