OT Dead thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

junior wrote:
ozzy wrote:What was your favorite show, if you can narrow it down to one show?

the two shows in Hampton '89 or Bobs birthday meadowlands '89
Was that the show Adam Katz's died at? Do you remember that?
i believe that adam katz was killed/died 10-12-89. bob's killer bday show was 10-16-89.
funny thing was that within that run i saw the best and worst, 10-12-89, shows ever
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

junior wrote:
2knees wrote:this started out well enough until.......
anyway, the best show i saw, while most of these things tend to blurr together for me was a knick show in 94 (i think 94) 2nd set was amazing with an awesome row jimmy, music never stopped and a kick ass mighty quinn. never heard them do that one before or after but it was awesome. a great queen jane was in the mix as well as a first set rip of samson and delilah. great stuff. Best single song performance was weir going ballistic on a throwing stones at the boston garden. he was absolutely killing it. i think that was '92 but again dates are not my strong point.
Was the 2nd set closer a "Dew"? (Albany)
couldve been if you're referring to the knick show. I'd have to check my set lists at home. I probably still have them buried with the bootlegs and stubs and stuff.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

ozzy wrote:
junior wrote:
ozzy wrote:What was your favorite show, if you can narrow it down to one show?

the two shows in Hampton '89 or Bobs birthday meadowlands '89
Was that the show Adam Katz's died at? Do you remember that?
i believe that adam katz was killed/died 10-12-89. bob's killer bday show was 10-16-89.
funny thing was that within that run i saw the best and worst, 10-12-89, shows ever
The Murderlands...
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

2knees wrote:
junior wrote:
anyway, the best show i saw, while most of these things tend to blurr together for me was a knick show in 94 (i think 94) 2nd set was amazing with an awesome row jimmy, music never stopped and a kick ass mighty quinn. never heard them do that one before or after but it was awesome. a great queen jane was in the mix as well as a first set rip of samson and delilah. great stuff. Best single song performance was weir going ballistic on a throwing stones at the boston garden. he was absolutely killing it. i think that was '92 but again dates are not my strong point.
couldve been if you're referring to the knick show. I'd have to check my set lists at home. I probably still have them buried with the bootlegs and stubs and stuff.
i believe that the show that you guys are refering to at the knick was 6-12-92. my b day show. when i mail ordered tix i sent GDTS a photo copy of my liscence and they sent me 5th row in front of Jerry. it was super sweet
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

2knees wrote:
junior wrote:
Definately at the Knick. That show was amazing. Bruce's friend from DC had a 20 lb tank of Nitrous, and we stayed up all night at the campground doing monster balloons. Took days to recover from that night.

Man were we where the "Wild Things Were" that night. Great, great times. This thread is bringing back a lot of memories. Thanks guys.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: OT Dead thread

Post by Stormchaser »

2knees wrote:Started pulling out my old bootlegs last night and it got me remeniscing. Best shows i ever went to, best venues, all the good times we had. anyway, i gotta say, i always loved the knickerbocker in albany. i saw 4 of the best shows there and the scene was always a blast. Fun but mellow. Highgate was a trip for sure but it got a little crazy. Worst venue, (not the worst show as in my opinion there were no bad shows, some were just better than others) had to be my own backyard. Hartford. shitty vibe, too many trust fund drunks from fairfield county. (no offense to anyone who lives there). anyway just wondering if anyone else had some particularly favorite venues/shows. The old boston garden was damn good too in my opinion.

Ah, one of the things I miss most. I lost over 1200 hours of live dead and phish and assorted other classics when my house burned to the ground 4 years ago. Its really the only thing I wasn't able to replace.
ImageImageImageImage
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Stormchaser wrote:Ah, one of the things I miss most. I lost over 1200 hours of live dead and phish and assorted other classics when my house burned to the ground 4 years ago. Its really the only thing I wasn't able to replace.
I got gigs and gigs of Dead and Phish on my computer..

I'll forward you a list and make you some replacements...
Maybe pass them off to you when I head up...
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

DMC wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:Ah, one of the things I miss most. I lost over 1200 hours of live dead and phish and assorted other classics when my house burned to the ground 4 years ago. Its really the only thing I wasn't able to replace.

Ahh, the love....gotta love the love.

You rock man!
ImageImageImageImage
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Stormchaser wrote:
DMC wrote:

Ahh, the love....gotta love the love.

You rock man!
Not a problem... I'll catch you next week on PM...
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

[quote="Stormchaser

Ah, one of the things I miss most. I lost over 1200 hours of live dead and phish and assorted other classics when my house burned to the ground 4 years ago. Its really the only thing I wasn't able to replace.[/quote]

When i get some semblance of order as to what i have, i would be happy to send you a list of what i gots and if you want to pick out anything, i'd be happy to copy them for you.

edit: Didnt see dmc's offer.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Venues I liked:
MSG: Walked there from my apt. Always played a great show.

Albany/Knick/Pepsi: Always played good shows. Easy in-and-out. Mellow security.

Vegas: Vegas was fun and hot, though the shows were not the best.

SPAC: Good, as long as you have reserved seats. The lawn tends to get over-sold.

Hated:
Meadowlands: Yo-Vinny!

Rich Stadium Buffalo: Awful Traffic every time

And the worst venue of all time (Fortunately the Dead never played there, but saw Phish there in 1995): Jones Beach. No Alcohol, awful accoustics, terrable lines to get in.
Ron Paul 2012
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

2knees wrote:[quote="Stormchaser

Ah, one of the things I miss most. I lost over 1200 hours of live dead and phish and assorted other classics when my house burned to the ground 4 years ago. Its really the only thing I wasn't able to replace.
When i get some semblance of order as to what i have, i would be happy to send you a list of what i gots and if you want to pick out anything, i'd be happy to copy them for you.

edit: Didnt see dmc's offer.[/quote]

Ah your offer is just as welcome...thanks guys!
ImageImageImageImage
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

St. Jerry wrote:And the worst venue of all time (Fortunately the Dead never played there, but saw Phish there in 1995): Jones Beach. No Alcohol, awful accoustics, terrable lines to get in.
A friend of mine is a cop there... He can get me right up to the front for parking... :)
Says the Dead shows last summer were outta control... Really sketchy..
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

guess i'm bit older than most of you. :)

first saw the boyz opening for janis joplin at the fillmore east 2/11/69 complete with pigpen reading the lyrics for the 'hey jude' encore. must have caught maybe 15-20 fillmore shows. there's was NOTHING like the fillmore east. a few months later caught a free concert in central park that was pretty cool. right up front & very laid back.

probably the most intense & mind blowing show i ever caught was 2/11/70 with love and the allman bros opening. freaks that we were, we made a big deal out of the marque which said 'dead love allman'. closing jam w/dead and duane, dickey and the rest of the allmans with peter green from fleetwood mac was pure madness.

until recently my edit suite at manhattan center overlooked the hall where i caught a run of shows in '71 called the grateful dead dance marathon. very overcrowded, oversold shows.

another fave was the gaelic park bronx show where they started early to beat the r*in. that was the first dead show i taped.

been pretty fortunate to have caught a lot of shows that have been released including the academy of music show in '72 where i was actually afraid the balcony was gonna collapse. the stanley theater jersey city show later that year which opened with a killin morning dew and featured an incredible dark star>cumberland. when they start a show w/ dew you know it's gonna be special. the roosevelt stadium shows that year were the only stadium shows i went to and they reasonably intimate for stadium shows.

quit after '72 and missed 2 of their best years '73 & '74. started up again in '76 and caught a bunch of shows at the palladium & capitol passaic. the acoustic set at radio city was particularly sweet.

out of the 3 local arenas guess i preferred the garden. sad to say, by the mid-80's they had pretty much become parodies of themselves and while they could on occasion turn it up, the shows for me were generally uninspiring. for me the last great run was the september '90 garden run when hornsby first joined the band.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

skiadikt wrote:another fave was the gaelic park bronx show where they started early to beat the r*in. that was the first dead show i taped.
Gaelic Park - highly collectable show...

Other then being older then me - I envy you.. :)