world cup sucks

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: world cup sucks

Post by hillbangin »

Skiing on man made is something you do before you ski on real snow.

It's just exercise until the first big dump in December.

If you want to ski in October - go south on a plane 8 or 9 hours.

If you want exercise on man made - K is the place to be.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Highway Star wrote:
newpylong1 wrote:Each K3000 will use up to 600 CFM / 10 GPM in the most marginal wet bulb, down/up to 200 CFM / 80 GPM in the coldest wet bulb.

They would need to run 120 K3000s on Superstar alone in a 26-28 degree wet bulb to completely exhaust their air supply. They do not come close to hitting water limits this early.
Not exactly. If they're running 600 CFM through a K3000 at 28F web bulb, its also flowing a very significant amount of water. A setting of 600CFM / 10GPM is more applicable to the 32-36F wet bulb range.
HS, I would recommend reviewing any number of publically available wet bulb charts like this: http://www.snowmakers.com/images/snow-k ... charts.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you are confusing wet bulb temperature with raw air temperature. I have hundreds of hours on the K2000 and K3000 and am former ski area General Manager. It is physically impossible to nucleate at a 32 to 36 degree wet bulb. 28 degrees is already deep into additive territory. At 28 degree WB they'll have the K3000 nozzle at its highest air/water ratio.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Oct 26th, '18, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

What's the difference between the K2000 and K3000?

600cfm and 10gpm makes tiny amounts of snow and is likely only done as a way to keep guns running instead of having to shut down and start up again.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

It's 10/26 and I have 4 days in, I will be at almost 10 days before November 1st, quit your bitching is what I say, it could be 55 degrees.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote:What's the difference between the K2000 and K3000?

600cfm and 10gpm makes tiny amounts of snow and is likely only done as a way to keep guns running instead of having to shut down and start up again.
That ratio is roughly what they ran for the first run. Some output is better than none, albeit very expensive. Remember, the Glades has extremely dense hydrant spacing, so that when they run in marginal temps even with the low conversion rate, they can get enough down.

The K2000 and K3000 are roughly the same specs but look very different. The K2000 has a flat head and horizontal orifice and must be adjusted at the water hydrant. The K3000 ie "the fire hose" can be adjusted right at the nozzle quickly with channel locks. Both were developed and produced right at Killington in the 80s.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

With the forecast for more normal temps for the next few weeks I think the decision to build the base up top was correct and not try to run to the bottom. Unfortunately cooler temps may not return to about the third week in November then below normal till March. Good luck paying your heating bill if this pans out. The areas that got a foot of snow a few days back will open on that , but it will melt out soon.

How about those Socks!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I agree it was a good decision to increase the depth of the trails in the North Ridge rather than doing a thin cover expansion to the bottom that would've melted out. Killington has never had to go back to using the stairs after opening ttb.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

newpylong1 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
newpylong1 wrote:Each K3000 will use up to 600 CFM / 10 GPM in the most marginal wet bulb, down/up to 200 CFM / 80 GPM in the coldest wet bulb.

They would need to run 120 K3000s on Superstar alone in a 26-28 degree wet bulb to completely exhaust their air supply. They do not come close to hitting water limits this early.
Not exactly. If they're running 600 CFM through a K3000 at 28F web bulb, its also flowing a very significant amount of water. A setting of 600CFM / 10GPM is more applicable to the 32-36F wet bulb range.
HS, I would recommend reviewing any number of publically available wet bulb charts like this: http://www.snowmakers.com/images/snow-k ... charts.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you are confusing wet bulb temperature with raw air temperature. I have hundreds of hours on the K2000 and K3000 and am former ski area General Manager. It is physically impossible to nucleate at a 32 to 36 degree wet bulb. 28 degrees is already deep into additive territory. At 28 degree WB they'll have the K3000 nozzle at its highest air/water ratio.
Ah yes, you are certainly correct, I was not thinking clearly about how WB vs. ambient temp goes when I posted this earlier today, thanks!

On Superstar, for the world cup build, how far into the "wet snow" range do you think they are pushing, in terms of gallons per acre foot or snowgun settings, vs. normal snowmaking?
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

I think the ultimate solution to early skiing at Killington is to get rid of the stairs and put in a lift from Northridge to the peak. That would solve early skiing access and provide a second way to the peak besides K1. It could even be a surface lift, ie a poma. Or replace the triple with a fixed grip quad and run that to the peak, but I am not sure if they want that many skiers dumped at the peak. Any other ideas?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

heiusa wrote:I think the ultimate solution to early skiing at Killington is to get rid of the stairs and put in a lift from Northridge to the peak. That would solve early skiing access and provide a second way to the peak besides K1. It could even be a surface lift, ie a poma. Or replace the triple with a fixed grip quad and run that to the peak, but I am not sure if they want that many skiers dumped at the peak. Any other ideas?
Handle tow up Downdraft.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Highway star I was shocked that you are 40 years old. I met some guy that knows you. Also I hope you aren't this jerky in person.
If you do not like K then don't ski here and quit your whining.
For the rest of you whiners early skiing is always higher up on the mountain. Also the peakway is on the former heavily traverse trail.
Seeing the best lades in the world ski is an exciting event.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Finn wrote:Highway star I was shocked that you are 40 years old. I met some guy that knows you. Also I hope you aren't this jerky in person.
If you do not like K then don't ski here and quit your whining.
For the rest of you whiners early skiing is always higher up on the mountain. Also the peakway is on the former heavily traverse trail.
Seeing the best lades in the world ski is an exciting event.
This person has to be the worst stalker on K-zone.

I'm 23 and have been posting here since I was 10 years old. I don't know how you could have met someone who knows me since I don't have any friends and I'm much more of a jerk in person, plus I've been skiing at Stowe for the last two years. Sheesh.

:violin

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

newpylong1 wrote:
snoloco wrote:What's the difference between the K2000 and K3000?

That ratio is roughly what they ran for the first run. Some output is better than none, albeit very expensive. Remember, the Glades has extremely dense hydrant spacing, so that when they run in marginal temps even with the low conversion rate, they can get enough down.

The K2000 and K3000 are roughly the same specs but look very different. The K2000 has a flat head and horizontal orifice and must be adjusted at the water hydrant. The K3000 ie "the fire hose" can be adjusted right at the nozzle quickly with channel locks. Both were developed and produced right at Killington in the 80s.
:Toast Slavko Stanchak .. Bethel, VT has the best engineers :cool
Forever .. Goat Path
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

newpylong1 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

HS, I would recommend reviewing any number of publically available wet bulb charts like this:
I'm sorry Newps, but you misspelled publicly. It's pubicly, as in the hair. (not sure if that's a word).

Butt when you use pubic, wet and bulb in the same sentence, it reminds us of female anatomy.

Jergens Lotion, out.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

A handle tow would certainly be the lowest tech solution but I would question how many people would actually be able to make it up it. It would have to one of the handle/platter/poma combos like what Whaleback has to even be remotely plausible. Perhaps using Upper Cascade vs Downdraft Headwall would be a more gradual pitch for it? Guess they could offer it as well as the stairs.

A mid-station on K1 would be the cleanest solution but also cost prohibitive. They would also need to have a way to bypass it during the regular season like they do on the Palmer Express at Mt. Hood. There have a lower and up set of sheaves and in the summer they move the haul rope down to the bottom set and through the midstation.

Replacing North Ridge with something else and extending it may seem plausible but would probably be met with fierce resistance on the permitting front. Also, you would have to do some considerable clearing and earthwork to get people down to both the top of K1/Peak Lodge and current top of North Ridge.

My assumption is after having built the stairs, and all the other projects since then, it's not a problem they see fit to resolve in the near future. Or maybe it's not even considered a problem.