Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by Kpdemello »

Look I know we'll never agree on this, but as to the FISA stuff, you very well know we linked to and debated the redacted FISA warrant on these forums. There was enough in the redacted version to merit an investigation and a warrant, let alone what was redacted. A federal judge agreed not once but multiple times that there was sufficient evidence to establish probable cause. You might dispute that evidence, and you might not like it. But it exists.

Your insistence that the DOJ is corrupt is strange. These are Trump appointees, including the ones investigating Cohen and the inaugural committee. Unlike the FBI, the President typically replaces the entire senior staff of the DOJ upon taking office. This President was no different (other than he was slow to make appointments). If the DOJ is corrupt, frankly, it's Trump's fault.

The ends do not justify the means, but there's nothing wrong with the means, here. The FBI and DOJ are operating as they should under the law. You just don't like it because you happen to be a yuuuge fan of the administration they are investigating. Personally, I hate that we are in this situation, but I put the blame where it belongs - on Trump's corrupt and inept administration of the executive branch.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Kpdemello wrote:Look I know we'll never agree on this, but as to the FISA stuff, you very well know we linked to and debated the redacted FISA warrant on these forums. There was enough in the redacted version to merit an investigation and a warrant, let alone what was redacted. A federal judge agreed not once but multiple times that there was sufficient evidence to establish probable cause. a federal judge signed the warrant...we saw allegations we never saw any evidence...You might dispute that evidence, and you might not like it. But it exists. just like that pee tape right?

Your insistence that the DOJ is corrupt is strange. These are Trump appointees, you act as if trump appts someone they must be on his side or one of his lackies...no way they could be corrupt career people...ya know the pool from which he has to choose? unfortunately he has no idea who he can trust and who is out to get him he's not a political insider...including the ones investigating Cohen and the inaugural committee. Unlike the FBI, the President typically replaces the entire senior staff of the DOJ upon taking office. This President was no different (other than he was slow to make appointments). If the DOJ is corrupt, frankly, it's Trump's fault. actually sessions was supposed to be the AG but he was neutered on day one...since then he's had no AG...he now has an acting AG that the D congress et al insist must also be recused...

The ends do not justify the means, but there's nothing wrong with the means, here. The FBI and DOJ are operating as they should under the law. no not at all....You just don't like it because you happen to be a yuuuge fan of the administration they are investigating. I happen to be a huge fan of the fair and equal application of the law...Personally, I hate that we are in this situation, but I put the blame where it belongs - on Trump's corrupt and inept administration of the executive branch.
thats' where you and the FBI started before there even was a trump administration...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 068771001/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Oh so I'm supposed to believe that Trump appointed all these career Republican DOJ employees unwittingly not realizing they were all in league against him? Frankly, that sounds preposterous.

There's a much simpler explanation. These appointees are good people, have looked at the evidence, and found that there are crimes that need to be investigated. Judging from the seemingly daily reports of new immunity deals, guilty pleas, and indictments, I'd say the facts back that up.

I'll end by coming back full circle. Trump's appointees are firmly in control of the DOJ. If this were truly a witch hunt, and there was no evidence of wrongdoing, they could stop it by saying so. Not only have they not done that, they have pressed forward with new investigations. It does not bode well for your hero.

And I'm out, you get the last word. :seeya
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/4 ... improperly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ipretty much see it the same way....show on the other foot kind of thing....

FYI I have been on record here many times saying the clinton/lewinsky thing was ridiculous...I supported clinton in that one though I did not vote for him in either election that he ran....

Hillary clinton the evidence was enough for charges to be brought and they should have been....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

madhatter wrote:https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/4 ... improperly

Ipretty much see it the same way....show on the other foot kind of thing....

FYI I have been on record here many times saying the clinton/lewinsky thing was ridiculous...I supported clinton in that one though I did not vote for him in either election that he ran....

Hillary clinton the evidence was enough for charges to be brought and they should have been....
As a liberal leaning independent I’ll extend the olive branch and say I agree. Also I did not vote for her in 16 out of protest (as if it matters here in MA, in) to the sham and how the DNC snuffed Bernie. Unfortunately justice isn’t blind and we have a ways to go until criminals at all levels get what they deserve.
Ski It If You Can!..
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Corporate America celebrated the first full year under the new tax law by rolling out a record-setting $1 trillion of stock buybacks.

US companies, led by Lowe's (LOW) and AbbVie (ABBV), rewarded shareholders by unveiling $34.4 billion in buybacks last week, according to TrimTabs Investment Research. That lifted repurchase announcements above $1 trillion for the first time ever, TrimTabs said, exceeding the prior record of $781 billion set in 2015.

And the trend continued on Monday. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), mired in a controversy over its iconic baby powder product, announced a $5 billion buyback. Boeing (BA) also ramped up its buyback program.

The buyback boom has been fueled by strong economic growth and the corporate tax overhaul that was signed into law a year ago.

"It's no coincidence," said David Santschi, TrimTabs' director of liquidity research. "A lot of the buybacks are because of the tax law. Companies have more cash to pump up the stock price."

Not only did the tax law reduce the corporate rate, but it gave a big break to companies returning foreign profits.

Companies have used a sizable chunk of that windfall to reward shareholders. Buyback announcements have spiked 64% so far this year, TrimTabs said.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

White House has an attack of political reality.

White House says it wants to avoid government shutdown, will find other ways to fund border wall - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AERH2MOELRcyFFGy0E3teXA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

The Donald J. Trump Foundation has agreed to dissolve under judicial supervision amid an ongoing lawsuit concerning its finances, according to a document filed Tuesday in Manhattan Supreme Court by the New York state Attorney General's office.

The dissolution of President Donald Trump's charity resolves one element of the attorney general's civil lawsuit against the foundation, which includes claims that the President and his children violated campaign finance laws and abused its tax-exempt status. The lawsuit will continue in court because it also seeks two other outcomes: $2.8 million in restitution, plus penalties, and a ban on Trump and his three eldest children serving on the board of any other New York nonprofit.

The agreement to dissolve, signed by both the foundation and Attorney General Barbara Underwood's office, also allows the attorney general's office to review the recipients of the charity's assets. The most recent tax return filed by the foundation listed its net assets at slightly more than $1.7 million.

"Our petition detailed a shocking pattern of illegality involving the Trump Foundation -- including unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more. This amounted to the Trump Foundation functioning as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump's business and political interests," Underwood said in a statement Tuesday.

"This is an important victory for the rule of law, making clear that there is one set of rules for everyone," Underwood said. "We'll continue to move our suit forward to ensure that the Trump Foundation and its directors are held to account for their clear and repeated violations of state and federal law."

The Trump Foundation did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Frankly none of what emerges from any of these investigations is likely to surprise anyone.
Overt disregard for the rule of law and exhibiting no common decency eventually catches up.

If not here .. just wait til pearly gate time :lol:

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

This Flynn business is ugly. It looks like Flynn, prior to joining the Trump admin, was doing some really bad things. This Fethullah Gulen guy that he was lobbying to have extradited to Turkey? Turns out he's a Muslim cleric that advocates for peace, religious tolerance, and education. He also condemned Islamic terrorism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fethullah_G%C3%BClen1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flynn was illegally working for Turkey to convince the U.S. government to extradite this guy to Turkey where he would be prosecuted and imprisoned for effectively being a political enemy of the ruling government there. How bad do you have to sell out to advocate for something like this?

I agree with the judge. Flynn's lucky if he doesn't get prison time. At this point it would not surprise me if Flynn was somehow working with the Russians, too. We'll have to see what the deal is when Mueller finishes his business. Still, remember back when people were saying that Flynn wasn't really guilty of anything and that lying to the FBI wasn't a real crime, etc? Bullsh!t. This guy is bad news and I don't think he's going to garner any sympathy regarding alleged heavy-handed FBI tactics. Once again, looks like the FBI was doing its job, and a good job at that.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Michael Flynn's Rough Day in Court Showed Political Arguments Aren't Working With Judges

http://time.com/5483049/michael-flynn-s ... a%22%22%7d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Looks like Trump was lying about having nothing to do with Russia because he personally signed a letter of intent for the Russia Trump Tower deal:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/18/poli ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Btw, the supposedly unreliable Steele dossier on its first page talks about Trump being offered lucrative real estate deals by the Russians yet for reasons unknown turning them down. Maybe not so unreliable, huh?

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So here's the scenario as I see it. The FBI gets allegations that the Trump campaign is working with the Russians via this Steele Dossier and other info. They apply for a FISA warrant to wiretap campaign people and their contacts with foreign agents. A federal judge finds probable cause and allows the FBI to wiretap Flynn and others. They listen to Flynn's phone calls and find out he's been illegally representing Turkey and has improper contacts with Russians. They go ask him about it, and he lies to them. They then charge him with lying to them to get him to flip on his associates, resulting in indictments. Not only is that not an abuse of power, it's damn good police work.

The only question is, what else did Flynn tell them? I have a feeling we'll find out eventually.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

And to balance things out, a rare positive CNN story about Trump endorsing the criminal reform bill:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Looks like Drumph's boss .. Vlad, told him to get the heck out of Syria.
Anyone thinking ISIS is done is mistaken :roll:
The poor 'next guy' is gonna have lots of work to do.
May have to revive that sure-fire WMD strategy :oops:

The FED .. unlike the sissy Republicans .. wont genuflect.
Nice Market .. little left to stand on :sad:

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

It certainly looks bad, doesn't it? But I highly doubt there's a connection there. Instead, it looks more like an attempt at distraction from this Flynn business.