Killington is Woke

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: Killington is Woke

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Sooner or later, the cops will be fed up, then THEY will start suing departments/cities/e.c.t for being criminally charged for doing their jobs, in a way they were "responding according to the training received". Just an endless circle of lawsuits.

Already departments are starting to bleed personnel with early retirements and lack of faith in leadership.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote:Nice googling. I'll highlight the part that clearly indicates this use of force was unjustified:
that there is no other way to make the arrest or subdue the
criminal but to use such force. An officer is not justified in killing a
felon if the arrest could have been made without the use of such extreme
force.
The guy had a tazer. There were multiple cops on scene. There was no other way to subdue him except deadly force? Really?
You're skipping over the rapid turn in close proximity and taking aim with a weapon in his hand. I don't know the percentage of lethality or serious injury of a tazer, do you? I don't know what police training is for split second weapon identification, do you? I don't know in how many cases the suspect had a second weapon on him that was missed in the first frisk, do you?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I wasn't witness to what occurred in Atlanta. Speculation on either side is wholly inappropriate without knowing the whole story, and though a picture may say a thousand words, there are other words left to hear.

What I will say, in my opinion, is that I personally would expect to be shot at by a police officer, if during an attempted arrest I fought with the officers, stole one of their weapons, and fled the scene. I think to expect otherwise is foolish, and contrary to self preservation. Would anyone here really take that same risk?
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

what happened to the "math" lesson?

what part was misinterpreted?

2/3rds of the people killed were not black...80+ % of those people were armed...

we still haven't talked about the "basic fact" that nearly 100% of the people killed white/black/purple whatever, committed a crime that led to their interactions with that cop... how many resisted arrest, fought with police,aimed or fired a weapon, pointed something that looked like a weapon etc?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I would look at it from a slightly different perspective, and that is this: what do we want out of our police? How do we want them to conduct themselves? Do we want them to react by pulling their service weapon and firing it as quickly as this officer did when his life and safety was clearly not in danger?

It may very well be that these officers are acquitted of any charges, or even that they are not charged. That is sort of besides the point. The real question is, did these officers act appropriately as police officers? I contend they did not, and they should no longer be police. I also contend that police departments around the country need to address how officers are exercising the use of force, and perhaps adjust or add training to prevent things like this from happening.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Jun 15th, '20, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:I wasn't witness to what occurred in Atlanta. Speculation on either side is wholly inappropriate without knowing the whole story, and though a picture may say a thousand words, there are other words left to hear.

What I will say, in my opinion, is that I personally would expect to be shot at by a police officer, if during an attempted arrest I fought with the officers, stole one of their weapons, and fled the scene. I think to expect otherwise is foolish, and contrary to self preservation. Would anyone here really take that same risk?
basic facts...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

easyrider16 wrote:I would look at it from a slightly different perspective, and that is this: what do we want out of our police? How do we want them to conduct themselves? Do we want them to react by pulling their service weapon and firing it as quickly as this officer did when his life and safety was clearly not in danger?
that's a long way removed from "killed for having the wrong color skin"
basic fact:
no one is saying that the cop couldn't have done things differently...
mach es sehr schnell

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: I concur that the officers have a right to trial by jury. But we as the public also have a duty to review what police are doing, how they are exercising the use of force, and make decisions about how our government should address these issues. This is something we should all be talking about. It's uncomfortable, but necessary.
Completely agree. Police need to be more transparent and accountable, and the populace needs to not throw, drive or point weapons at police.

Mandatory body cameras are likely coming.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

madhatter wrote:what happened to the "math" lesson?

what part was misinterpreted?

2/3rds of the people killed were not black...80+ % of those people were armed...

we still haven't talked about the "basic fact" that nearly 100% of the people killed white/black/purple whatever, committed a crime that led to their interactions with that cop... how many resisted arrest, fought with police,aimed or fired a weapon, pointed something that looked like a weapon etc?
that math didn't say what you thought it did, did it? so you deleted it...

but that didn't have ANY effect on your "interpretation" of your "basic facts"...

now you are no longer interested in "dialog"...

you are only interested in a narrative...how do you expect to further your narrative by posting data that you know doesn't support your assertions? do you really think that just by ignoring your own conclusion that no one else will notice or come to that same conclusion?

and
so do you really care about "basic facts" and saving lives? doesn't really seem like it...
mach es sehr schnell

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

easyrider16 wrote:I would look at it from a slightly different perspective, and that is this: what do we want out of our police? How do we want them to conduct themselves? Do we want them to react by pulling their service weapon and firing it as quickly as this officer did when his life and safety was clearly not in danger?
How about looking at it from this perspective -

Cops can't fix a drunk guy that falls asleep at a drive in.

They can't fix a repeat offender who is passing fake $20s high on drugs.

Cops can't fix/stop bad behavior.

I'm amazed this stuff doesn't happen a hundred times a day with 350M loonies running around.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

hillbangin wrote:Cops can't fix/stop bad behavior.
Maybe not, but they can address their own response to it.

None of us can change the fact that there are bad individuals who do bad things. But we can certainly change how our police are chosen, trained, and disciplined.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

easyrider16 wrote:

None of us can change the fact that there are bad individuals who do bad things. But we can certainly change how our police are chosen, trained, and disciplined.
Not a million out of a million times.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

The guy could of tased the cops, and while they were incapacitated, stolen their guns and murdered both.

Here is another stat: while representing 13% of the population, blacks account for 40% of violent crimes.

This thread demonstrates that Killington picking a side is unwise.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

It may very well be that these officers are acquitted of any charges, or even that they are not charged. That is sort of besides the point. The real question is, did these officers act appropriately as police officers? I contend they did not, and they should no longer be police. I also contend that police departments around the country need to address how officers are exercising the use of force, and perhaps adjust or add training to prevent things like this from happening.
How was his safety not in danger? Getting tazed certainly puts your safety in danger, and although rare can also put your life in danger.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

easyrider16 wrote:

how can you fail to see that police are "individuals" and that some will be "bad individuals" and that "none of us can change the fact"?

answer: because you don't want to...

you aren't interested in "basic facts" you are interested in a narrative that you are unable to support...
mach es sehr schnell