Supreme Court

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Supreme Court

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 13:10
The issue I take with that view we discussed earlier - I don't think the 2nd amendment should be applied to the states, and I don't think it was meant to guarantee a personal right as it was written.
So you're just going to ignore Heller? What do you think "Keep and bear" means? Keep 4 towns away in an armory? Can you both keep and bear if you are not in possession?
easyrider16 wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 13:10As far as the federalism argument, that always seems like a pretext to me. The only time a person seems to care about "state's rights" is when it gets them the outcome they want. But somehow that principle gets discarded whenever it doesn't favor the desired outcome.
You either agree that this is a federation of independent States, bound under the constitution, or you don't. Some folks playing favorites doesn't invalidate that foundational structure.

A good example is health care. We should have 50 versions of health care legislation, and each state can find their own best mix. Some will do better than others, but this allows for better experimentation, evolution and adaption, as opposed to a Federal mandate full of bureaucratic bungling on a national scale. This might even be seen as a possible future decision should Roe V Wade get struck down. If abortion is the province of the states, why isn't all health care?
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Mister Moose wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 13:45 So you're just going to ignore Heller? What do you think "Keep and bear" means? Keep 4 towns away in an armory? Can you both keep and bear if you are not in possession?
I don't ignore it, I just disagree with it. I agree with the previous 200 years of jurisprudence that held the right to bear arms was a collective right of the states rather than an individual one. But Heller is the current law of the land.
Mister Moose wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 13:45You either agree that this is a federation of independent States, bound under the constitution, or you don't. Some folks playing favorites doesn't invalidate that foundational structure

A good example is health care. We should have 50 versions of health care legislation, and each state can find their own best mix. Some will do better than others, but this allows for better experimentation, evolution and adaption, as opposed to a Federal mandate full of bureaucratic bungling on a national scale. This might even be seen as a possible future decision should Roe V Wade get struck down. If abortion is the province of the states, why isn't all health care?
Well, certainly I agree that we are a federation of independent states. That doesn't mean that any particular argument for state's rights is a valid one.

Taking your example of health care, that sounds like a gigantic mess. So if I move from MA to NH, it's going to potentially change how I access health care? And what about companies that want to operate across state borders? They'll have to comply with multiple different regimes. To some degree that's how it works now, and it's tremendously inefficient, and frankly unnecessary. We can look to the rest of the world for lots of different examples of what works and what doesn't with health care. We don't need 50 different experiments here.

Look for example at the Uniform Commercial Code. It's been adopted by most states, and it's a direct attempt to make the laws of different states similar instead of having businesses operate under different rules in different states. Having 50 different sets of rules is inefficient and unnecessary. In many ways, our current system is an anachronism.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Activist Judges
Don't Killington Pico
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Thank you President Trump
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

throbster wrote: Jun 24th, '22, 16:36 Thank you President Trump
Now states can constitutionally pass laws allowing women to have abortions right up to birth.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

It should be noted that one of the six fascists who voted to overturn Roe, the one whose wife was involved in trying to illegally overturn the election; Clarence Thomas opined today that he feels that LGBTQ rights should also be challenged, gay marriage rights should also be challenged and you know what else?

The right to access to contraception

I'm not making this up.

This should be known by all. A vote for a Republican is a vote for fascism and religious fundamentalism. Full stop
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

deadheadskier wrote: Jun 24th, '22, 18:42 It should be noted that one of the six fascists who voted to overturn Roe, the one whose wife was involved in trying to illegally overturn the election; Clarence Thomas opined today that he feels that LGBTQ rights should also be challenged, gay marriage rights should also be challenged and you know what else?

The right to access to contraception

I'm not making this up.

This should be known by all. A vote for a Republican is a vote for fascism and religious fundamentalism. Full stop
ive been screaming this on the top of my lungs for a while now and people call me hysterical, or worse (and more childishly) that im the "fascist" for pointing out fascism.

democrats had the f*** nerve to text me begging for donations and that we need to get out the vote. democrats are in office right now. democrats have been in and out of office for decades making empty promises codifying roe. obama ran on codifying roe during the primaries in 2007. a whole lot of liberals are finally reaching the level of pissed off to be primed for left wing radicalization. its about f*** time. now the question is will the liberals march around in pathetic little pussy hats, silly signs, hold hands and sing kumbayah with police and vote harder, or will they shut sh*t down? freedom isnt free.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

You of all people should be donating more to Democrats. I won't deny that the party has fallen short of what I and you want in protecting rights and governing for a more equitable society.

But they have not had the power to do to everything you think they should have. The true power in governance is the courts, and conservative fascists played that Trump card today. The rules of governance didn't stop that from happening, but it has stopped the legislative branch from ever having enough power to do what the courts did today.

You want to marry your partner right now? Thank a Democrat that you can. That all started in Vermont by the way in the 90s. I was a college student at UVM at the time through it all. "Take Back Vermont" yard signs were like Trump signs today. You know a likely bigoted, racist, fascist lived there. The Democrats won you that right.

If you were straight and ended up in an unwanted pregnancy or heaven forbid became pregnant from assault, thank a Democrat for the right to an abortion

If you are trans or gender questioning, thank a Democrat you can't be discriminated for being you

All of those victories we have fought for so hard for 50+ years have only been supported by ONE political party and that's the Democrats.

Those victories were won by the slimmest of margins.

You know this right?

Like it or not, we live in a two party system. One of them is full of religious fundamentalists and will absolutely never advocate for you. The other has done the above.

It's A or B unfortunately.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Tough to have to say but the country would be better if that corrupt piece of sh*t Thomas dropped dead tomorrow.
Don't Killington Pico
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

boston_e wrote: Jun 24th, '22, 23:06 Tough to have to say but the country would be better if that corrupt piece of sh*t Thomas dropped dead tomorrow.
Notice what Thomas didn't suggest should be challenged: Interracial Marriage

He's fine with f*** over and taking rights away from people just as long as it doesn't impact him personally.

2022 conservatives are radical fascists.

All of them
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

George Carlin was 100% right
Attachments
FB_IMG_1656158938028.jpg
FB_IMG_1656158938028.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 592 times
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

deadheadskier wrote: Jun 24th, '22, 22:02 You of all people should be donating more to Democrats. I won't deny that the party has fallen short of what I and you want in protecting rights and governing for a more equitable society.

But they have not had the power to do to everything you think they should have. The true power in governance is the courts, and conservative fascists played that Trump card today. The rules of governance didn't stop that from happening, but it has stopped the legislative branch from ever having enough power to do what the courts did today.

You want to marry your partner right now? Thank a Democrat that you can. That all started in Vermont by the way in the 90s. I was a college student at UVM at the time through it all. "Take Back Vermont" yard signs were like Trump signs today. You know a likely bigoted, racist, fascist lived there. The Democrats won you that right.

If you were straight and ended up in an unwanted pregnancy or heaven forbid became pregnant from assault, thank a Democrat for the right to an abortion

If you are trans or gender questioning, thank a Democrat you can't be discriminated for being you

All of those victories we have fought for so hard for 50+ years have only been supported by ONE political party and that's the Democrats.

You know this right?

Like it or not, we live in a two party system. One of them is full of religious fundamentalists and will absolutely never advocate for you. The other has done the above.

If you are black and free, thank a republican.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Not a modern one. Learn some history dumbass.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

deadheadskier wrote: Jun 24th, '22, 22:02 You of all people should be donating more to Democrats. I won't deny that the party has fallen short of what I and you want in protecting rights and governing for a more equitable society.

You know this right?

THE DEMOCRATS ARE IN POWER RIGHT NOW. the democrats have had 40+ f*** years to codify roe, but instead used it to generate fundraising donations. now, it can be used to generate violence against the state. they're f*** around and they're about to find out.

there needs to be serious repercussions.

telling me to vote for democrats is like telling me to go shoot up heroin in a safe needle exchange place rather than on the street. sure, its safer, im less likely to get hep C, AIDs, or overdose, but im still shooting up heroin and still addicted. voting for democrats is just barely voting for harm reduction.

THE DEMOCRATS ARE CURRENTLY IN POWER. ROE FELL ANYWAYS. time for f*** violence.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

throbster wrote: Jun 25th, '22, 07:17

You know this right?

If you are black and free, thank a republican.
jesus f*** christ when are you going to open a history book and learn about the southern strategy post 1965 civil rights?