Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by boston_e »

Bubba wrote: Apr 4th, '21, 16:14
Guy in Shorts wrote: Apr 4th, '21, 14:24 I'm with Bubba and Daytripper. Having an ID is a reasonable request. A secure election process is paramount.
I still think it’s a solution in search of a problem but it’s a relatively harmless way to shut the Republican outrage machine up.
Wouldn't that be kind of like rewarding a petulant child for throwing a tantrum?

And the thing is, they won't shut up, they will just move onto the next phase of their voter suppression efforts.
Don't Killington Pico
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

boston_e wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 08:19
Guy in Shorts wrote: Apr 4th, '21, 14:24 I'm with Bubba and Daytripper. Having an ID is a reasonable request. A secure election process is paramount.
I still think it’s a solution in search of a problem but it’s a relatively harmless way to shut the Republican outrage machine up.
Wouldn't that be kind of like rewarding a petulant child for throwing a tantrum?

And the thing is, they won't shut up, they will just move onto the next phase of their voter suppression efforts.
The fight for DC Statehood will be ugly and without reason other than GOP fear of losing Senate power. They don't want to do the hard work of converting voters.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

There's your problem right there. Whether or not you desire to safeguard against ballot box abuse, the last election ended with large claims of it. Elections should be both secure and believed to be secure. Confidence in the fairness of elections is also foundational.

As for Lois, nice story, but you don't legislate for the exceptions. There will always be exceptions. In Lois's case, ID doesn't matter as she doesn't leave the nursing home. It's a case of tweaking absentee ballot rules, not in person ballot rules. Living in a nursing home could be an automatic right to have a requested absentee ballot mailed to you upon request.

Voting should be easy, but it should first be be secure. When easy conflicts with secure, secure should prevail. Voting should never be solicited on a person to person basis. Pandemics aside, ballots should never be mailed out to the entire voting population. If you don't care enough to vote on your own, I don't want you deciding what is best for the country/state/town. Having an acceptable form of ID is akin to being a recognized citizen. The laws on obtaining ID should maybe be tweaked or expanded, not lowering the security of an election.

The last time I renewed my driver's license, I needed something like 5 forms of documentation, everything from utility bills to a birth certificate. There was no driving test. The state doesn't care if I drive safely, it cares that I am who I say I am, as the state knows the drivers license is the most common form of legally recognized ID. It would be child's play to simply add a non driver's ID to the offering for those citizens that don't drive, and make it eligible for use as voting ID, liquor ID, Notary Public ID, etc.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 10:16 The fight for DC Statehood will be ugly and without reason other than GOP fear of losing Senate power. They don't want to do the hard work of converting voters.
The lack of statehood for DC was on purpose, not by omission. Those feeding at the public trough should not vote on their allowance. It was true then and it is still true now.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 10:49
There's your problem right there. Whether or not you desire to safeguard against ballot box abuse, the last election ended with large claims of it. Elections should be both secure and believed to be secure. Confidence in the fairness of elections is also foundational.
Say we issue voter ID and there are large claims of fraudulent voter IDs ... then what? Should we respond to all claims with action even if the claims are without merit?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 10:53
deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 10:16 The fight for DC Statehood will be ugly and without reason other than GOP fear of losing Senate power. They don't want to do the hard work of converting voters.
The lack of statehood for DC was on purpose, not by omission. Those feeding at the public trough should not vote on their allowance. It was true then and it is still true now.

BS

It's taxation without representation. DC has a larger population than VT or WY. They should receive the same representation at the federal level.

You're only against it because of the Democrat leanings of its residents.
Last edited by deadheadskier on Apr 5th, '21, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 10:53

BS

It's taxation without representation. DC has a larger population than VT or WY. They should receive the same representation at the federal level.

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 10:49

As for Lois, nice story, but you don't legislate for the exceptions. There will always be exceptions. In Lois's case, ID doesn't matter as she doesn't leave the nursing home. It's a case of tweaking absentee ballot rules, not in person ballot rules. Living in a nursing home could be an automatic right to have a requested absentee ballot mailed to you upon request.

Voting should be easy, but it should first be be secure. When easy conflicts with secure, secure should prevail. Voting should never be solicited on a person to person basis. Pandemics aside, ballots should never be mailed out to the entire voting population. If you don't care enough to vote on your own, I don't want you deciding what is best for the country/state/town. Having an acceptable form of ID is akin to being a recognized citizen. The laws on obtaining ID should maybe be tweaked or expanded, not lowering the security of an election.

The last time I renewed my driver's license, I needed something like 5 forms of documentation, everything from utility bills to a birth certificate. There was no driving test. The state doesn't care if I drive safely, it cares that I am who I say I am, as the state knows the drivers license is the most common form of legally recognized ID. It would be child's play to simply add a non driver's ID to the offering for those citizens that don't drive, and make it eligible for use as voting ID, liquor ID, Notary Public ID, etc.
Large unproven claims. Admitted lies by Powell. That woman should rot in a cell for life for the damage done.

Just because you want to go to polls doesn't mean your vote is any more important than those who would prefer to vote by mail. Get over yourself you disingenuous partisan hack.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:05 Say we issue voter ID and there are large claims of fraudulent voter IDs ... then what? Should we respond to all claims with action even if the claims are without merit?
Why issue driver licenses then?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:15 It's taxation without representation. DC has a larger population than VT or WY. They should receive the same representation at the federal level.

Not true, you're just spewing. And you fail to recognize the difference between the Federal Government and a State. Just because they both have a McDonalds and a Post Office doesn't make them the same.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:28
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:05 Say we issue voter ID and there are large claims of fraudulent voter IDs ... then what? Should we respond to all claims with action even if the claims are without merit?
If POTUS says driver's licenses are wrought with fraud, should they be replaced? Or should we assess the claims first to determine if action is necessary? You seem to be proposing we move forward with voter ID because POTUS and his lawyer made fraud claims without merit.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:33
deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:15 It's taxation without representation. DC has a larger population than VT or WY. They should receive the same representation at the federal level.

Not true, you're just spewing. And you fail to recognize the difference between the Federal Government and a State. Just because they both have a McDonalds and a Post Office doesn't make them the same.
For the hundreds of thousands of people who live in DC and have nothing to do with government and live there for the same reason you live where you do, it's you who is spewing BS. They deserve the exact same representation as you or I. You just don't like who they vote for.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:36
If POTUS says driver's licenses are wrought with fraud, should they be replaced? Or should we assess the claims first to determine if action is necessary? You seem to be proposing we move forward with voter ID because POTUS and his lawyer made fraud claims without merit.
I think voter security has merit, period. Are you saying there were no claims of voter fraud problems pre Trump? Because I suggest you are mistaken.

And by the way, procedures in my State for verifying identity for drivers licenses have evolved and improved over time.

*Edit: I live in one of the most liberal Democrat states in the US, and I have to show ID every time I vote, from presidential elections to town budgets. Liberals here seem fine with Voter ID.
Last edited by Mister Moose on Apr 5th, '21, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:42
Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:33

For the hundreds of thousands of people who live in DC and have nothing to do with government and live there for the same reason you live where you do, it's you who is spewing BS. They deserve the exact same representation as you or I. You just don't like who they vote for.

When you put unqualified words in my mouth, or call me a partisan hack, you are spewing. I don't care what party DC votes for, and I doubt on all matters DC would vote as a unified bloc. What I do support is the idea that the seat of government should not vote on governmental affairs. I would also support that Congress should not set its own salary or healthcare. Yes there are bar owners and taxi drivers in DC. But if you choose to live in DC, where the entire economy flows from taxpayers, I support the idea that you don't get to vote in federal elections. You can disagree, but you don't have to be combative or insulting.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:43
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 11:36
I think voter security has merit, period. Are you saying there were no claims of voter fraud problems pre Trump? Because I suggest you are mistaken.

And by the way, procedures in my State for verifying identity for drivers licenses have evolved and improved over time.
Anyone can make claims :D. People make claims about the Second Amendment daily - should we action these claims, too? Some might argue secure gun sales have merit and should evolve and improve over time. :lol:

As long as folks can easily get a free ID to vote .... I'm okay with it.