Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

laxxer27
Green Skidder

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by laxxer27 »

mogwai wrote:
daytripper wrote:Refrigerated beer can easily last 3+ years, temperature swings and uv exposure are beer killers, not an issue in the fridge.
Sorry but I completely disagree with you. Well maybe commercially produced beers can but craft beers your lucky to get 3-4 months out of them. The hops break down quickly and will be very off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Totally agree. Try leaving a fresh batch of Treehouse in the frfidge for a month . The IPAs will start to fall off. Burlington Beer Co is famous for this. Drink that sh*t fresh.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

laxxer27 wrote:
mogwai wrote:
daytripper wrote:Refrigerated beer can easily last 3+ years, temperature swings and uv exposure are beer killers, not an issue in the fridge.
Sorry but I completely disagree with you. Well maybe commercially produced beers can but craft beers your lucky to get 3-4 months out of them. The hops break down quickly and will be very off.

Totally agree. Try leaving a fresh batch of Treehouse in the frfidge for a month . The IPAs will start to fall off. Burlington Beer Co is famous for this. Drink that sh*t fresh.
I'm not into bitter beers so maybe ipa and other bitter beers lose there hops, I drink mainly darker malty ales and they can last quite long if stored properly.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:
laxxer27 wrote:
mogwai wrote:

I'm not into bitter beers so maybe ipa and other bitter beers lose there hops, I drink mainly darker malty ales and they can last quite long if stored properly.
yep...IPA hop profile changes pretty quickly, rarely for the better...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

laxxer27 wrote:
mogwai wrote:

This conversation around aging started on the heels of a Barrel Aged Imperial Stout I posted. IPAs should absolutely not be aged and this holds true for most ales and other styles, too.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Cold and rainy calls form more BA Imperial Stout. This one from 2018.
Attachments
345D1A80-7126-4653-A655-9E025899C991.jpeg
345D1A80-7126-4653-A655-9E025899C991.jpeg (168.56 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Heady Topper and Focal Banger spotted and acquired in NJ at $18 per 4 pack. Crazy, right? I was able to buy my limit of 1 of each at two different locations for a total of four 4-packs.

Local liquor store received an allotment of 4 cases for each of their two stores. Sold out in less than a day.

4/27 canning date.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

spanky wrote:Heady Topper and Focal Banger spotted and acquired in NJ at $18 per 4 pack. ...
4/27 canning date.
I noticed that my last 4 pack, Alchemist is now dating their cans!!! Hopefully more will follow.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Mister Moose wrote:
spanky wrote:Heady Topper and Focal Banger spotted and acquired in NJ at $18 per 4 pack. ...
4/27 canning date.
I noticed that my last 4 pack, Alchemist is now dating their cans!!! Hopefully more will follow.
Cans I bought at the Brewery in February were dated... 4 days old. The bottle of Petit Mutant was also dated, but I believe they always dated those.

Cans I bought in Warren were about a week old. I think it’s now standard for all their beers.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

spanky wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
4/27 canning date.
Cans I bought at the Brewery in February were dated... 4 days old. The bottle of Petit Mutant was also dated, but I believe they always dated those.

Cans I bought in Warren were about a week old. I think it’s now standard for all their beers.
They started dating cans this year. I can’t imagine their stuff stays on the shelf long, especially when it makes it out of Vermont. Personally I think all breweries should date their bottles / cans.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Sounds like Bud was spot on with the "born on" date.

A brewery truly ahead of their time.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Captain Hafski wrote:Sounds like Bud was spot on with the "born on" date.

There is a reason they are ''THE KING OF BEERS''
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote:Sounds like Bud was spot on with the "born on" date.

There is a reason they are ''THE KING OF BEERS''

And it has nothing to do with being good beer!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

BB Co did a lot of barrel aged beers this year, and I managed to get this version, Sassamanash. They also did a vanilla and a coconut, both of which I was willing to try, but 3 shots, 1 duck.

This pours an inky tar dark as night with the door closed and the lights off. Light carbonation yields little head, which slides off to the edge fairly soon, but is a nice color of light tan and lighter swirls.

Taste is noticeable less boozy than, say Bourbon County. Very nice layers of flavor, there are supposed to be cranberries, but what it is, is more of a slight tart that takes the edge off the sweet, a nice combo. Not the best, but you can see it from here. Solid. Hides the 10% well, until you finish it. Then it announces it's arrival with lopping 20 points off your IQ. Pricey at 8 buck the can, but barrel aged was never a discount beer. Definite buy.
Sassamanash.jpg
Sassamanash.jpg (146.44 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:BB Co did a lot of barrel aged beers this year, and I managed to get this version, Sassamanash. They also did a vanilla and a coconut, both of which I was willing to try, but 3 shots, 1 duck.

This pours an inky tar dark as night with the door closed and the lights off. Light carbonation yields little head, which slides off to the edge fairly soon, but is a nice color of light tan and lighter swirls.

Taste is noticeable less boozy than, say Bourbon County. Very nice layers of flavor, there are supposed to be cranberries, but what it is, is more of a slight tart that takes the edge off the sweet, a nice combo. Not the best, but you can see it from here. Solid. Hides the 10% well, until you finish it. Then it announces it's arrival with lopping 20 points off your IQ. Pricey at 8 buck the can, but barrel aged was never a discount beer. Definite buy.
Sassamanash.jpg
seems like some people here must drink multiple cans of this daily....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Request for food pairings for all these craft beers I read about here?

For example:

16 oz Bud draft beer.....cheeseburger and fries

12 oz ice cold can of Miller....beer peanuts

12 oz bottle of Heineken....pretzels

12 oz bottle of Bud....pizza

16 oz pounder can of PBR....shelled peanuts

This is making me thirsty and hungry......going to the fridge for a cold one and some potato chips.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!