Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

New Jersey man dies on Killington mountain

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

New Jersey man dies on Killington mountain

January 30, 2007

By Sarah Hinckley Herald Staff

A 21-year-old man from New Jersey died after colliding with a tree while skiing at Killington Mountain Resort a little before noon Monday.

Pat Pallotta of Fairfield, N.J., was skiing on the Skyeburst Trail and making a turn onto the Great Eastern Trail. He is believed to have been traveling at a high rate of speed, according to a report from Vermont State Police.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and all those affected by this tragic incident," said Allen Wilson, president and managing director of Killington Resort, in a written statement.

Pallotta was not wearing a helmet and appeared to lose control, going off the side of the trail and hitting several trees, according to the police report.

Killington Ski Patrol responded to the accident. When they arrived on the scene, Pallotta was able to respond to questions with accurate, one-word answers. He then lost consciousness and did not recover, according to the police report.

Conditions on the trails were packed powder and machine-groomed earlier Monday morning, according to Tom Horrocks, communications director for Killington Mountain. Weather conditions Monday were clear and sunny.

The trails Pallotta were traveling on are a "more difficult" rating, a second-tier rating on a four-tier scale, with extremely difficult being the highest level.

Pallotta was pronounced dead while Regional Ambulance Service transported him to Rutland Regional Medical Center.

It is the first ski-related fatality since 2004 at Killington, Horrocks said.

Rutland Herald
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Sad.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Re: New Jersey man dies on Killington mountain

Post by HelmetCam »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote: It is the first ski-related fatality since 2004 at Killington, Horrocks said.
Didn't somebody die sliding off Double Dipper into some snowmaking equipment last year? Or maybe it was the year before. But 2004? I guess I'm getting old.

Very sad news...
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

I was driving from K to Pico yesterday at about 11:30 and saw an ambulance coming up the hill. I wonder if that was for this kid..

sad.

-steve
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

HelmetCam wrote:
Vinny Vincenzo wrote: It is the first ski-related fatality since 2004 at Killington, Horrocks said.
Didn't somebody die sliding off Double Dipper into some snowmaking equipment last year? Or maybe it was the year before. But 2004? I guess I'm getting old.

Very sad news...
I thought that was 2005 too. Sad.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
HelmetCam wrote:

Very sad news...
I thought that was 2005 too. Sad.
That was 2004/2005 season, right around New Years
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Sad . . . we saw the aftermath of the accident and was hoping all was OK . . . :(
Clutch
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Clutch »

andyzee wrote:
That was 2004/2005 season, right around New Years
January 2nd 2005

+++ vibes to Pat's family and friends
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

There was a Dartmouth Hitchcock medivac chopper here along with the ambulance but, from the story, I guess it didn't matter. Sad.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

Saw somebody in the woods with ski patrol on Saturday at nearly the same spot -
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bummer, that sucks.....where exactly did this happen?

Always watch out for putting yourself in a "manditory turn" situation....stay safe out there...
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Highway Star wrote:Bummer, that sucks.....where exactly did this happen?

Always watch out for putting yourself in a "manditory turn" situation....stay safe out there...
Sounds like he was making a left onto the snowshed crossover from Skyeburst, didn't make the turn (maybe because there were people in the way) and slammed into the woods
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

SkiDork wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Bummer, that sucks.....where exactly did this happen?

Sounds like he was making a left onto the snowshed crossover from Skyeburst, didn't make the turn (maybe because there were people in the way) and slammed into the woods
Indeed....that's a very dangerous turn:

- Easy to gain high speed down skyeburst without noticing
- Regularly poorly groomed in the left side corner of skyeburst above the crossover
- Down dip to the crossover, with a bit of ditch, then the crossover, then a lip going into the woods
- High traffic
- Icy/hardpacked due to high traffic

With or without traffic, I'd say it would be very easy for a low-advanced skier to get up to 35-40 mph on skyeburst, then lose it while trying to make a turn on the variable/(relatively) rough terrain of the intersection........and we see the result here. :(
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

Very sad. Helmets save lives.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Keithus wrote:Very sad. Helmets save lives.
I am a big advocate of helmets, would never go out without one. Unfortunetly that statement is not always true. :cry:
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com