Tuesday Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Tuesday Report

Post by Bubba »

Comfortable temps and blue skies. Snowmaking on upper skier's right Snowshed, the learn to ski area just above Snowshed lodge, upper Bitter, lower Dream Maker and the pipe. They were working to fix a pipe on Bear Claw which I assume impacts OL because OL guns were not running as scheduled. I did a couple of hours doing Bear runs off the Express and did a couple of Superstars as well. Still learning new trail names - Northway? - and still have to think about how to give directions to people when they ask. Anyway, it was nice exercise but nothing to write home about with ice marbles and few death cookies mixed in just to keep things interesting. I thought I saw Geoff doing laps on Supe and caught Skidogg there as well. Nice couple of hours, beats working, but we need snow.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Re: Tuesday Report

Post by johnny the jibber »

so, im not really missing anything with this post holiday cold someone dropped off up here?
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

johnny the jibber wrote:so, im not really missing anything with this post holiday cold someone dropped off up here?

Merry xmas to you dude...
Where is Happy Hour ?
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

exactly....

it was cool to see ya the other night...

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

I went skiing today from 9:15am to 1:15pm. Cold, sunny until afternoon then getting cloudy. Light winds, getting colder by afternoon.

Not very many people out and about among the many open mountains.

Snowmaking underway on Snowshed Slope, Yodeler, Lower Dream Maker, Upper Bittersweet, Bear Trax, The Superpipe, and more.

Work continues on that snowmaking pipe on Bear Claw, with two groomers up there working on it too today along with the equipment that was up there yesterday.

Snowshed:

Snowshed Slope - Good conditions skiers left and right. No ice, soft. Skiers right under the guns. Not a lot of cover under the guns just yet, so some areas don’t have the fresh dry manmade snow surfaces on it.

Learn To Ski Trail - Good condition, wall to wall coverage.

Highlander - Good Condition, keep an edge easily.

Ramshead:

Header - Good Condition, a couple small slick patches near the top otherwise no ice, easy to ski down.

Caper - Okay conditions, not quite as good as Header.

Snowdon:

Upper Chute - Very Nice, no slick spots, nice flat smooth edgeable snow.

Lower Chute - Very Nice, even more so than Upper Chute. Uncrowded, some groomer lines right into the afternoon.

Middle Great Northern - Good edgeable snow.

Killington Peak:

Lower East Fall - Waited until after 12 Noon. Smooth, compact, edgeable snow. Uncrowded, no ice, no slick spots. Nice.

Lower Double Dipper - Waited until after 12 Noon as well. Compact edgeable snow, perhaps a small bit of slickness in just a spot or two. Empty. Good.

Bear Trax - Upper most part under the guns, awesome. After that nice smooth surfaces.

Upper Great Northern - Good conditions, especially through early afternoon, then a few slick spots showing up.

Skye Peak:

Upper Skye Lark - Nice grooming, ground up the extensive ice from yesterday. Nice granular surfaces. Uncrowded.

Lower Skye Lark - Tough to see, no direct sunlight at the time that I skied this run. Slick surfaces throughout. Some ice, but mostly just stiff slick surfaces.

Lower High Road - Good condition, empty. No ice or slickness.

Panic Button - A bit slick, overall not too bad.

Lower Needles Eye - Empty, generally good condition, more granular from the chopped up ice.

Upper Great Eastern - Entire length of trail good early, getting scraped off from Bittersweet down to near the lower of the two new sections. The new section very good.

Gateway - Very nice surface conditions. Empty.

Lower Great Eastern - Very good, not completely flat which made it more interesting. Uncrowded down here.

Lower Home Stretch - Good condition for natural terrain, fully groomed. Thin coverage with some dirt and small rocks coming in.

Bear Mountain:

Dream Maker Headwall - Only the small portion from the Skye Peak Express down to the cutover to Skyeburst open. Groomed and in nice condition.

The Northway - Very Nice. Easy carving.

Lower Dream Maker - Snowmaking equipment in operation and producing very light dry awesome manmade snow. Did mostly early on, skiers right had a slight stickyness to it. Once it got skied once I’m sure it was just as awesome as it was towards skiers left half of the trail.

Upper Skyeburst - Good conditions, especially early. By afternoon some icy spots showing up.

Middle Skyeburst - Good throughout the morning into the afternoon.

Lower Skyeburst - Very Good, uncrowded.

Bear Claw - Skiers left still closed due to the work on the snowmaking pipe. Good conditions towards the top, then fairly slick as it got narrow and a fair amount of traffic.

Lower Dream Maker

Upper Skyeburst

Lower Skyeburst

Upper Bittersweet

Lower High Road

Upper Skye Lark

Lower Skye Lark

Bear Trax

Lower Great Eastern

Lower Needles Eye

Snowshed Slope

Yodeler

Header

Caper

Upper Chute

Lower Chute

Lower East Fall

Lower Double Dipper

This is on Lower Double Dipper, from the same location of the above picture. A good compact surface, but not icy, can easily stick your ski pole in it.

The new section of Gateway

The Superpipe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiingsnow wrote:
Lower Skye Lark - Tough to see, no direct sunlight at the time that I skied this run. Slick surfaces throughout. Some ice, but mostly just stiff slick surfaces.
"Stiff slick surfaces" would be..... um..... ice?

skiingsnow wrote:
This is on Lower Double Dipper, from the same location of the above picture. A good compact surface, but not icy, can easily stick your ski pole in it.
Right, not ice here. See, the Mr Moose ski pole test is easy.

Nice detailed report.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Conditions today remained highly variable with slightly reduced noise.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Well, I thought it was a lot better than described . . . so, I guess tellitlikeitis is correct in that we all see trail conditions differently (like we did not all know that :roll:) . . .

In any case, I skied everything I skied yesterday to see the difference and while there were major improvements, I was puzzled why snow was being made on Dreamaker as it was one of my favorites yesterday :?c . . . guess they are getting it ready to build parks there - not that there is anything wrong with that, but snow surely was needed elsewhere . . .

I even got back on the horse and took the "white knuckle death slide" Skylark, and at 1:00 pm and it was much different than yesterday - the K-site listed it as not groomed, but it must have been and, well ss was right, it helped . . .

Upper Wildfire has a two groomer size groomed area which was nice . . . they left it mostly bumps, but they need to soften a bit more . . . the Bearclaw mess was being worked on, but no snowmaking as mentioned. Skyburst to Dreamaker was ROD at Bear, Superstar top-to-bottom on the other side - oh wait, Highline too, well, maybe Chute to Mousetrap . . . oh, it was all good . . . had a great day :wink: :seeya
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I'm with Mrs G.... I thought it was pretty good out there. Everything was groomed out really well and the sun was out. I saw Bubba on Superstar at one point when I was ripping off some runs there. I skied pretty much everything between Highline and Bear other'n Needles Eye. I'd go out of my mind skiing groomers every day but today was pleasant enough.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

What a difference a day makes !!

ROTD - Dream Maker !!
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

johnny the jibber wrote:exactly....

it was cool to see ya the other night...
Just exactly how friendly did the two of you get that you somehow ended up with Rusty's cold? Rusty does D know you are playing around? :D
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

i dont think he was implying he gave me a cold. he was implying that the cold was a gift from all of you flatlanders....

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Geoff wrote:I'm with Mrs G.... I thought it was pretty good out there. Everything was groomed out really well and the sun was out. I saw Bubba on Superstar at one point when I was ripping off some runs there. I skied pretty much everything between Highline and Bear other'n Needles Eye. I'd go out of my mind skiing groomers every day but today was pleasant enough.
I didn't mean to imply things were bad, it was just a nice day with groomed conditions where some areas were more "interesting" than others. Considering what was said about yesterday, today had to be a tremendous improvement.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Bubba wrote: Considering what was said about yesterday, today had to be a tremendous improvement.
Today was nipple deep pow compared to yesterday..

i agree the best runs were guns runs, but the groomers were fun too. Wonder why the three wetest guns on the mountain are in that elbow area of the new bittersweet part, you know, the part that's always is icy?
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Gladiskie
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gladiskie »

Skiingsnow, You have outdone yourself. That is the best report I have ever seen. The snow looks pretty good in your pics - a lot better than the polished ice I will be skiing tonight at Jiminy Peak in MA. I may be coming to K on Thursday, depending on how K fares with the storm tomorrow. I look forward to your Wednesday report, as well as the helpful reports from the others here.