Fall afternoon at Smugglers Notch & Stowe

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Fall afternoon at Smugglers Notch & Stowe

Post by Bubba »

We took a drive this afternoon over to Smugglers Notch, then through the notch to Stowe. Colors were not as good as the colors at Killington right now for some reason but it was a beautiful drive nonetheless. I'd never been to Smuggs and had never driven through the notch over to Stowe. I understand why it's generally closed in the winter, that's for sure. Seeing the village at Smuggs and the continuing development at Stowe reminds me immediately what Killington is missing and comparing the quality of the new base lodge at Stowe with what we have at Killington really shows how antiquated things are here. Anyway, enjoy the photos and do your own comparisons.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/574825979TwXodG
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
biged
Slalom Racer

Re: Fall afternoon at Smugglers Notch & Stowe

Post by biged »

Pictures reminded me of Pico with the big buildings before the parking.
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

base lodge is nice, as is the Smuggs village

but does anyone else think the huge Stowe lodge ruins one of the iconic views on the EC?
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
skiladi
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by skiladi »

You guys look great! Especially Jazz. ; }
Now , maybe I haven't skied Sugarbush enough to know the character well enough...HS 4/17/2007
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

laseranimal wrote:base lodge is nice, as is the Smuggs village

but does anyone else think the huge Stowe lodge ruins one of the iconic views on the EC?
I agree - the Stowe Lodge is huge and the size of that building was actually discussed in one of the Killington Planning Commission workshops last fall as a point of comparison to what is planned here. It does cut the view if you're in the parking areas at Spruce but, if you're a little higher up the hill (i.e. as close as the lowest trailside home shown in one of the photos) you're not blocked at all. Also, the lodge has great views of Mansfield and adds to the ambiance there. If you walk into the Stowe Lodge you can take in the views from many different angles. Compare that to the Killington Grand where one wing of the building blocks views of Ramshead and you can't see the peak from the main lobby until you're close to the glass on the back side of the hotel.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

skiladi wrote:You guys look great! Especially Jazz. ; }
It's all about the dog. :lol:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

moneygripp
Green Skidder

Post by moneygripp »

Bubba wrote:We took a drive this afternoon over to Smugglers Notch, then through the notch to Stowe. Colors were not as good as the colors at Killington right now for some reason but it was a beautiful drive nonetheless. I'd never been to Smuggs and had never driven through the notch over to Stowe. I understand why it's generally closed in the winter, that's for sure. Seeing the village at Smuggs and the continuing development at Stowe reminds me immediately what Killington is missing and comparing the quality of the new base lodge at Stowe with what we have at Killington really shows how antiquated things are here. Anyway, enjoy the photos and do your own comparisons.

What you don't see in those pictures is Smuggs being a sh*t show run by shitty mtn. managers. Example: They thought this was an effective marketing Idea for their cam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvsEEPiVzIk
And do you really want slopeside condos and mega/exclusive hotels that increase your daily rates like Stowe??
Oh, and skiing f'ing sucks!
EDIT: I can say shitty but not sh*t?
skiladi
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by skiladi »

Bubba wrote:
skiladi wrote:You guys look great! Especially Jazz. ; }
It's all about the dog. :lol:
You know me too well. ; }
Now , maybe I haven't skied Sugarbush enough to know the character well enough...HS 4/17/2007
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

moneygripp wrote:
Bubba wrote:
What you don't see in those pictures is Smuggs being a sh*t show run by shitty mtn. managers. Example: They thought this was an effective marketing Idea for their cam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvsEEPiVzIk
And do you really want slopeside condos and mega/exclusive hotels that increase your daily rates like Stowe??
Oh, and skiing f'ing sucks!
EDIT: I can say shitty but not sh*t?

yep

smuggs sucks, there's never good snow and the terrain is awful stay the hell away from there its a family area only
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Bubba wrote:We took a drive this afternoon over to Smugglers Notch, then through the notch to Stowe. Colors were not as good as the colors at Killington right now for some reason but it was a beautiful drive nonetheless. I'd never been to Smuggs and had never driven through the notch over to Stowe. I understand why it's generally closed in the winter, that's for sure. Seeing the village at Smuggs and the continuing development at Stowe reminds me immediately what Killington is missing and comparing the quality of the new base lodge at Stowe with what we have at Killington really shows how antiquated things are here. Anyway, enjoy the photos and do your own comparisons.

If only Killington had some of that AIG money before they went down the toilet! :lol:

Love Smugglers Notch. Lots of good hiking in that area. I remember when some idiot in a tractor trailer :shock: tried going through there a few years ago coming from the Smuggs direction towards Stowe during peak foliage time first week in October. Got wedged between the boulders. I think it took a couple days to get him out.
Jim
Slalom Racer

Post by Jim »

went up to stowe last year for the first time since the 90s...man how that place has changed. it's so modern now compared to what it was...i love the new lodge and gondola. the terrain is still epic too.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

moneygripp wrote: What you don't see in those pictures is Smuggs being a sh*t show run by shitty mtn. managers. Example: They thought this was an effective marketing Idea for their cam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvsEEPiVzIk
Holy cow. And to think Geoff complained about my post of a Glenn Beck health care video in the Political Forum.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

bubba, which one is your girl, H or J? J looks more your age....
shortski
:dis
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:bubba, which one is your girl, H or J? J looks more your age....
Jazzy's prematurely grey like me. She's going on 6 y/o/

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald