What Skills Do Expert Skiers Have?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

freeski
Post Office

What Skills Do Expert Skiers Have?

Post by freeski »

Back when I was skiing 30-35 times a year and getting better each year. I used to wonder what else I needed to be able to do to be an expert all around skier. Here are some qualifications I used to toss around thinking about this.
note: I'm not an expert and have never been.

An expert should be able to:
- Ski well in all conditions.
- Be able to ski gates competitively.
- Be able to ski moguls.
- Should be able to do a helicopter.
- Go 20' off a jump and land comfortably.
- Should be able to drop off of a 10' cliff and land in decent conditions.
- Be able to ski steep trees.
- Be able to ski fast and in control in variable conditions.
- Carve not skid turns.

Some of these make sense others are arbitrary. Wondering how you people look at it. Most skiers who are decent athletes and get enough time on the slopes probably have thought about it.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
steamboat1
Post Office

Re: What Skills Do Expert Skiers Have?

Post by steamboat1 »

#1 only
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

helicopter lol. us younger cats would call that a 3 ;). I would say all of the above is about the criteria I would say to define an expert. However I think the jump/spinning thing isn't mandatory...only for us park rats/those feeling adventurous. I think a true expert will also not bitch and moan about conditions and enjoy every chance they get on the hill... this isn't golf ;)
Ski It If You Can!..
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

freeski wrote:Back when I was skiing 30-35 times a year and getting better each year. I used to wonder what else I needed to be able to do to be an expert all around skier. Here are some qualifications I used to toss around thinking about this.

- Be able to ski moguls.
- Carve not skid turns.

Some of these make sense others are arbitrary. Wondering how you people look at it. Most skiers who are decent athletes and get enough time on the slopes probably have thought about it.
Can do all of the above...as if there was any doubt.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

The bravado to square your shoulders, shift your weight forward and hit the many headwalls of Killington. That’s all it takes.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:
freeski wrote:Back when I was skiing 30-35 times a year and getting better each year. I used to wonder what else I needed to be able to do to be an expert all around skier. Here are some qualifications I used to toss around thinking about this.

- Be able to ski moguls.
- Carve not skid turns.

hahahhahahahha, yer so full of sh!t... skidding on yer tails in a stance that indicates a full diaper is hardly expert skiing....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Killington_Lover wrote:helicopter lol. us younger cats would call that a 3 ;). I would say all of the above is about the criteria I would say to define an expert. However I think the jump/spinning thing isn't mandatory...only for us park rats/those feeling adventurous. I think a true expert will also not bitch and moan about conditions and enjoy every chance they get on the hill... this isn't golf ;)
I think there has to be an air component. Yes, I know helicopter is dated. SO okay an expert should be able to land a 3. The 3 demonstrates the athletic ability to control yourself in the air and have the balance to land.
The other air component, being able to drop off or huck (for you youts) a 10' "cliff" is pretty reasonable for an expert. I only go into parks for jumps, never hit a rail. Should a modern day all around expert be able to ride a rail? I guess they should.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

How many times have you heard a skier say "I can get down (insert double diamond trail of choice)" Or "I can get down anything"...

"Getting down" does not make you an expert skier. I'm pretty sure I can sideslip any marked run at Killington.
My list would be different:

Can ski any terrain at a constant speed
Can ski any terrain with constant turn shapes
Can ski any terrain with varying turn shapes, styles, techniques
Can ski on one foot and that foot only for 20 turns, then the other foot for 20 turns
Can ski down a 15 foot wide trail (Side slipping doesn't count)
Can ski turning only on tops, or only on troughs, or only on backs of moguls, or mix it up at will.
Can ski deep powder at varying speeds, turn shapes and snow densities.
Can tune his own equipment.
Can jump, turn 30 degrees in the air, and land on the skis pointing at a different angle and ski off in the new direction.
Can make turns backwards.
Can skate uphill with glide and speed.
Can carve with zero skid with skis at a high edge angle
Can edge at will with the knees, or hips, or whole body banked.
Can vary the center of pressure along the length of the ski during the turn.

I'm sure there's a few more.

I don't think I buy the 360 air or rail requirement. How about requiring gates? Tele? Skins? Both board and ski? Hard boot board? Cafeteria tray? Nordic 100m jump?
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Guy in Shorts wrote:The bravado to square your shoulders, shift your weight forward and hit the many headwalls of Killington. That’s all it takes.
If you think there are headwalls at Killington, you are clearly not an expert. Just like bragging about double black diamonds at the office on Monday.

In the words of Howard Stern's father; "don't be stupid you moron".
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

madhatter wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

- Be able to ski moguls.
- Carve not skid turns.

hahahhahahahha, yer so full of sh!t... skidding on yer tails in a stance that indicates a full diaper is hardly expert skiing....
Ummm yeah. Tail riding on the steeps, Mr. Homostar, indicates you need some work on your form. Butt keep living in your fantasy world.

Former Division 1 Collegiate Ski Racer, out.
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

That all depends on how you define expert. I doubt big mountain or back country skiers care about the ability to ski gates or land helis, but things like side slipping and hop or kick turns are crucial techniques. Arresting falls and avi skills are pretty high on their list too, carving turns, not so much.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ejrides wrote:That all depends on how you define expert. I doubt big mountain or back country skiers care about the ability to ski gates or land helis, but things like side slipping and hop or kick turns are crucial techniques. Arresting falls and avi skills are pretty high on their list too, carving turns, not so much.
exactly, an expert in one particular discipline may be quite lacking in another, or not..

IMO there is a line of separation between recreational skiers and competitive skiers, and "evaluating" their skills requires a different approach... For the sake of argument here, let's only talk about what the majority of skiers are , recreational skiers...now how do we define 'expert" in that realm? I think very few if any recreational skiers are truly experts... So now we look at level of skill and what skills are "required" to meet the definition of the "highest level"...Unless you ski w someone often and at or about the same speed as to be able to ski with them vs ski the same trail, its really not possible to assess their level of skill accurately, esp when observing a stranger... Even then not everyone can accurately assess skill... first indicator for me is the level of confidence with which one handles the terrain, the overall ability to maintain and regain proper form and the ability to adjust to varying terrain on the fly while maintaining that same level of confidence...

when I refer to someone as a "good skier" I consider them to be exceptionally capable...I also know some truly awesome skiers, but very few of them, as percentage wise, very few of them actually exist...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

madhatter wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

- Be able to ski moguls.
- Carve not skid turns.

The only expert skiers I know on 159cm skis are 100lb women.
Rime & Reason wrote:Now that we all know Madhatter is that little guy gingerly making his way down the bumps with 159cm K2 Extremes, I think a lot of us should stop and say hello.
Last edited by Highway Star on Jul 20th, '15, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Mister Moose wrote:How many times have you heard a skier say "I can get down (insert double diamond trail of choice)" Or "I can get down anything"...

"Getting down" does not make you an expert skier. I'm pretty sure I can sideslip any marked run at Killington.
My list would be different:

Can ski any terrain at a constant speed
Can ski any terrain with constant turn shapes
Can ski any terrain with varying turn shapes, styles, techniques
Can ski on one foot and that foot only for 20 turns, then the other foot for 20 turns
Can ski down a 15 foot wide trail (Side slipping doesn't count)
Can ski turning only on tops, or only on troughs, or only on backs of moguls, or mix it up at will.
Can ski deep powder at varying speeds, turn shapes and snow densities.
Can tune his own equipment.
Can jump, turn 30 degrees in the air, and land on the skis pointing at a different angle and ski off in the new direction.
Can make turns backwards.
Can skate uphill with glide and speed.
Can carve with zero skid with skis at a high edge angle
Can edge at will with the knees, or hips, or whole body banked.
Can vary the center of pressure along the length of the ski during the turn.

I'm sure there's a few more.

I don't think I buy the 360 air or rail requirement. How about requiring gates? Tele? Skins? Both board and ski? Hard boot board? Cafeteria tray? Nordic 100m jump?
Is this who you were envisioning?

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

- Be able to ski moguls.
- Carve not skid turns.

The only expert skiers I know on 159cm skis are 100lb women.
and still you suck...good lord if yer an expert skier I'm god....yer a half@ss hack that no skier even remotely attempts to imitate or emulate...the best possible area of expertise your skiing exudes is a "how NOT to" for instructors to point out to their students...

I showed up this spring and ski'd w a good number of zoners, didn;t see your sorry @ss there nor did I hear a single person refer to you as a good skier, one of the better K zone skiers, someone who knows how to ski or anything similar... In fact about the only mention of you was when when rogman pretended to be you, and when I was out biking and Kzone came up in a conversation, someone said " ya know who really sucks? highway star." no one even mentioned your distinctive penis costume either...

far far far superior skier to highway star -- out...
mach es sehr schnell