mammoth mtn?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

mammoth mtn?

Post by skiadikt »

since they're one of the few places still skiing, decided to check them out. nobody seems to talk about the place but the place is huge, gets tons of snow, they ski 'til june and looks like there's plenty of steep stuff. i guess they could be prone to LA crowds but how bad can it be during the week. anybody have any experience with the place. wondering if i should put it on my hit list.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

pizza-pizza moose's favorite place ... but then so is any restaurant
Geoff
Whipping Post

Re: mammoth mtn?

Post by Geoff »

skiadikt wrote:since they're one of the few places still skiing, decided to check them out. nobody seems to talk about the place but the place is huge, gets tons of snow, they ski 'til june and looks like there's plenty of steep stuff. i guess they could be prone to LA crowds but how bad can it be during the week. anybody have any experience with the place. wondering if i should put it on my hit list.
At this time of year, Californians don't ski. I've logged a lot of Squaw May days. Midweek, you have it to yourself. It shrinks down to Granite Chief for advanced terrain at this time of year. Squaw is much closer to major metro areas than Mammoth so I'd expect that Mammoth would be even more deserted.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Geoff wrote:
skiadikt wrote:since they're one of the few places still skiing, decided to check them out. nobody seems to talk about the place but the place is huge, gets tons of snow, they ski 'til june and looks like there's plenty of steep stuff. i guess they could be prone to LA crowds but how bad can it be during the week. anybody have any experience with the place. wondering if i should put it on my hit list.
At this time of year, Californians don't ski. I've logged a lot of Squaw May days. Midweek, you have it to yourself. It shrinks down to Granite Chief for advanced terrain at this time of year. Squaw is much closer to major metro areas than Mammoth so I'd expect that Mammoth would be even more deserted.
actually i was thinking about a mid-winter trip. folks go to tahoe, utah, colorado, whistler, jackson but nobody mentions mammoth. does it suck?
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Mammoth, in fact, does NOT suck. That's the first place I ever hit on the West coast and it scared the living sh*t out of me. Granted, I was still an intermediate herb at the time, but it's on a totally different scale than anything I experienced before that. It's not easy to get to, I drove there in December 95' from LA area and it took about 5.5 hours (actually took around 8 since my transmission broke on the way there at 3am in the Mojave desert).

The place is immense(sp) and pucker factor is high from above alpine. It's on par with Squaw without the Hollywood/corporate superstar atmosphere. I still remember my first double black there. Went off the top skiers right and thought I could take a single black. Kept traversing because the wind kept the snow from sticking on those bowls. Finally got to Dragons Back, a wind rippled, 40-50deg double black pitch that literally looked like a dragon's back. I proceeded to do long traverse to hop turns down until I got to the bottom, shaking from the rush. They have a bunch of cool chutes to play in and it looks like a lot of tree shots for us ECers.

I'd go there again, but a week would probably bore you. I would suggest doing half a week there, then drive up to Kirwood and do the rest of the week there.

Nightlife = Nada

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

Mtn Man wrote: I'd go there again, but a week would probably bore you. I would suggest doing half a week there, then drive up to Kirwood and do the rest of the week there.

Nightlife = Nada

B)
I'd be into going there.... perhaps it can be split up next season on the next trip to Tahoe. I would love to do Kirkwood again and especially Squaw since it visibility was nil and the high winds were unbelievable when we were there. I've been making the mistake of going on the Sqaw website from work this week..... depressed me everytime I went to the webcam. :(
I still can't believe that I lived in LA for 5 years and never skied Mammouth or Tahoe.... but then again I didn't know anyone who skied when I lived there. :roll:
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on May 5th, '05, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

snowsprite wrote:Mammoth got a ton of snow, and for those of you who can't or won't quit just yet... it would still have some decent skiing into the next month. Or so say the Mammoth-ites on the TGR board anyway.

Sprite
And of course snowfall they “got” has a huge significance for next winter which is what skiadikt clarified twice :roll:

Mammoth isn’t easily accessible from the east coast…actually almost anywhere other than Yosemite or Fresno…the main reason you don’t hear a lot about it in this 24/7, fast-paced, gimmie convenience and the most bang for the buck world. I spent 7 months out in California and hit Mammoth a couple of times. If you hit it right, it’s like European skiing in California. The proximity of the mountain lends itself to a heavy, wet snowfall that holds bases well into May in even the leanest of snow years. Definitely worth the trip if you have the time and plan it right…meaning head south for a couple of days from Tahoe…
powday
Black Carver

Post by powday »

thankfully Alpine is still open to make up for the lack of lift-serviced advanced terrain at squaw this time of year...
and very true about the lack of crowds...I was at alpine on tuesday, bluebird skies, and not a soul there - it was just incredible. AWESOME skiing, as well. can't believe how much snow they still have, I'm hoping that they'll push their closing date from may 30 into june.

happy cinco de mayo everyone!! :D
Geoff wrote:At this time of year, Californians don't ski. I've logged a lot of Squaw May days. Midweek, you have it to yourself. It shrinks down to Granite Chief for advanced terrain at this time of year. Squaw is much closer to major metro areas than Mammoth so I'd expect that Mammoth would be even more deserted.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

I hope so too powday. Tuesday sounds like a wonderful dream...
8)
Sprite
I like wine.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Powday your luck is holding out. Enjoy the skiing while it lasts. You know I will be skiing as long as there is still a ribbon there to ski on.
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

skiadikt wrote: actually i was thinking about a mid-winter trip. folks go to tahoe, utah, colorado, whistler, jackson but nobody mentions mammoth. does it suck?
yeah. mammoth really sucks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

just got back from there. sooooo much snow. now i have enough miles for a freebie. looks like i'm headingback out june 19-26. :lol: :lol:

fyi...the website says open till the fourth, but everyone we talked to said labor day.