Lodge Closing Areas

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

firsttime
Beginner On Rentals

Lodge Closing Areas

Post by firsttime »

If planning a trip with some of those newer to skiing. Generally when do operations start to shut down in the Ramshead and Snowshed areas for the season? I know that this can be weather dependent just trying to get a feel.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: Lodge Closing Areas

Post by snoloco »

Skyeship is usually the first to go along with Pico. Usually first Sunday in April. Ramshead closes after that. Snowshed tends to stay open pretty late as they get lots of British groups in the spring, and they are not good skiers. But it's dependent on how much snow was made there as it's low elevation.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Will skyship even be able to open this weekend?
Don't Killington Pico
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Where will the BMMC be this year?
Where is Happy Hour ?
firsttime
Beginner On Rentals

Post by firsttime »

We've only ever really done Killington in the North East. Any of the other resorts that may offer beginner (even if limited) terrain around end of March. Some were saying Mt Snow may? or Okemo?

Thanks for the advice as always from those of us in the flat land.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Skyeship has been open all week. Why wouldn't it open this weekend?
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

snoloco wrote:Skyeship has been open all week. Why wouldn't it open this weekend?
I haven’t been looking at the trail report but I just knew it’s been warm all week and things look pretty dire In the area in general when I skied Pico on Sunday. I wasn’t sure if the snow was holding up at the lower elevation.
Don't Killington Pico
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

snoloco wrote:Skyeship is usually the first to go along with Pico. Usually first Sunday in April. Ramshead closes after that. Snowshed tends to stay open pretty late as they get lots of British groups in the spring, and they are not good skiers. But it's dependent on how much snow was made there as it's low elevation.
Not quite. Everything usually stays open until BMMC, this year is April 7, so expect Bear to close the 8th. Skyeship is usually the weekend after, but with it being March and low base they might cut it loose early. Pico hasn't seen April in a while, expect March 25th with the 18th a possibility if it stays warm. Ramshead will close early April, Snowshed mid April, and then K1, Needles and Snowdon as snow allows. I'm going to pick May 20 as closing day, doubt we'll see June this year.

firsttime wrote:We've only ever really done Killington in the North East. Any of the other resorts that may offer beginner (even if limited) terrain around end of March. Some were saying Mt Snow may? or Okemo? Thanks for the advice as always from those of us in the flat land.
Everything north of Mt Snow should be open then, except Magic and Pico. Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromely*, Okemo are all options.

*Bromely had a pump house fire, so coverage might be light this spring.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Skyeship base has not made it to BMMC in a few years.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Pico was open the first weekend in April last year. I think the only year in the past handful that they have not been open that first weekend in April was that terrible winter 2 (or was it 3) where they closed mid March.
Don't Killington Pico
Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Snowboardgod »

Skyeship and great eastern holding up fine as of today. Snow in the forecast if it holds... killington actually on the map for 8-12” on weather channel this afternoon, we shall see.
XKillerEliteX
Beginner On Rentals

Post by XKillerEliteX »

I hope Skyeship and Great Eastern stay open I’m comming up March 4th and leaving the 7th the Great Eastern is my favorite warm up run I always do first
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

XKillerEliteX wrote:I hope Skyeship and Great Eastern stay open I’m comming up March 4th and leaving the 7th the Great Eastern is my favorite warm up run I always do first
You'll be fine. Have fun!

GE usually makes it through till they close Stage 1 at the end of March. Usually demand is very low by then anyway.

GE gets really slushy and sketchy by the end of a warmer mid March day. You'll think it is almost done. But they'll groom it out and it survives.

After Stage 1, closings usually are followed by Sunrise and Bear after BMMC, Stage 2, Needles Chair, Ramshead, Snowdon, Snowshed, K1, and nothin but Supe after May 1.

North Ridge also closes fairly early in April.

Throughout this time, condition dependent, in recent years they often do "bonus reopenings" of closed lifts on weekends (particularly Bear, Needles, and Canyon). But not usually the lodges.

As for late March throughout Vermont, usually most hills are still open with a lot of terrain. Even Jiminy in Mass doesnt usually close till early April.

March is an awesome ski month. Warmer, daylight late, and even Mets spring training game audio playing on my mlb app while i ski!
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Pretty much exactly what happens every year. Sometimes they run Stage 1 into the first weekend of April. Usually Ramshead closes pretty early as well as the demand for the family terrain drops off significantly when you get into April. Snow conditions permitting, Bear is usually BMMC Weekend or a week after if it's happening early that year. Then they'll open it the following weekend snow conditions permitting.

Needle's, Snowdon, and K1 are all snow conditions permitting but they will probably close the Snowdon Quad early this year so they can pull it to prepare it for relocation to South Ridge and get started on the new 6-pack. They're replacing the K1 cabins in the fall, but the haulrope and electrical upgrades take longer and may be done in the spring, which would mean it would be S3 to Canyon or NR3 for access to the upper mountain.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Skier visits down 15% versus last season. Don't expect them to keep lots of areas open longer than necessary unless things pick up quickly.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe