Finally, fair elections in New Hampshire

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Finally, fair elections in New Hampshire

Post by f.a.s.t. »

The N.H. Supreme Court ruled last week that it is constitutional to require a person to actually reside in New Hampshire in order to vote in New Hampshire. Isn't this a no brainer, that in order to vote in a state, you should live in that state? Over 6,000 people in N.H. used out of state driver licenses as identification in the 2016 election. Almost all of them were in college towns: Hanover-Durham-Keene-Plymouth. These voters (immature and indoctrinated college students filled with rage and hate) ousted Republican Senator Kelly Ayotte (lost by 2,000 votes) and enabled the filthy, dirty, lying, cheating, crooked, criminal Clinton to take N.H. Finally, New Hampshire has put a stop to this injustice. If you want to vote in N.H., establish residency in N.H. Live free or die.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Finally, fair elections in New Hampshire

Post by boston_e »

If they are living in New Hampshire for the entirety of the school year, why should they be voting in whatever state they are originally from? In my opinion it wouldn’t seem they should be voting in a state that they don’t live in for at least 75% of the year.
Don't Killington Pico
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

boston_e wrote:If they are living in New Hampshire for the entirety of the school year, why should they be voting in whatever state they are originally from? In my opinion it wouldn’t seem they should be voting in a state that they don’t live in for at least 75% of the year.
This is why states have absentee ballots. If you go home every break and for the summer, you are only visiting. If you MOVE there, you get a NH license, and register your car there too. If you maintain your license and registration from your home state you are really only visiting.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I understand the concept, but seems wrong someone can vote in a state that they have left and are “visiting” some other state for 75% of the year.

If you sleep in a state 75% of the year weather it be for school or otherwise, that is where you should be voting. Just my opinion.
Don't Killington Pico
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

boston_e wrote:I understand the concept, but seems wrong someone can vote in a state that they have left and are “visiting” some other state for 75% of the year.

If you sleep in a state 75% of the year weather it be for school or otherwise, that is where you should be voting. Just my opinion.
The US tax code would agree with you and require you pay state taxes in the state you spent 75% of the year in (in most cases and assuming your worked).
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

'issue' had no impact on NH 2016 result .. and sununu's signing of this into law renders this topic hairball until 2019.

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

boston_e wrote:I understand the concept, but seems wrong someone can vote in a state that they have left and are “visiting” some other state for 75% of the year.

So, if an American goes to school in Canada, Mexico or any other country, they can vote in their elections. If a Canadian, Mexican or some other foreigner goes to the school in the U.S., they can vote here too.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

f.a.s.t. wrote:

So, if an American goes to school in Canada, Mexico or any other country, they can vote in their elections. If a Canadian, Mexican or some other foreigner goes to the school in the U.S., they can vote here too.
Completely different situation... but i think you know that.
Don't Killington Pico
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

boston_e wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:

Completely different situation... but i think you know that.
Exact same situation, someone that is from somewhere else is voting for people to represent me where I am from. I don't vote in their elections, they should not vote in my election. If I live in NH and have a vacation home in VT, I vote in NH and not in VT. Even if I spend more time in my vacation home than in NH.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

I don't disagree with the law. The process for ansentee balloting could be better / smoother.

But just to correct you fast, if you spent more time in your vacation home in VT than your home in NH, you would be forced to switch residences and have to vote in VT.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

deadheadskier wrote:I don't disagree with the law. The process for ansentee balloting could be better / smoother.

But just to correct you fast, if you spent more time in your vacation home in VT than your home in NH, you would be forced to switch residences and have to vote in VT.
Not if my business or job is in NH and all my cars are registered and garaged in NH, furthermore, my home in NH is worth more than the vacation home in VT. I vote in NH and not in VT.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Declaring residence used to be a fairly simple function of where you declared. A mailing address was all that was necessary. Then a driver's license. In states with high taxes that wealthy people flee from, extra steps have been taken. Here in CT, people that have winter homes in FL and declare FL residency to avoid CT income tax must show proof of 181 days minimum of residency in FL. Not sure what constitutes adequate proof, airline tickets? Logbook? GPS bracelet?
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Yeah residency is not necessarily an easy question. If you're a college student, and spend 38 weeks of the year at college, but your parents live in a different state and that's where you go when you're not at college, where is your residency? Especially if you have part time jobs in both states, and don't own any real estate?

Conversely, totally different situation but you've got the retiree who used to live and work in one state and had a vacation home in another, but then after retirement spends more time at the vacation home than the other home. What's his residency?

Clarity in the rules becomes necessary to prevent people from gaming the system, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong or unfair to let a college student vote in a place where he/she lives the majority of the time, goes to school, and maybe works, too. There's a good chance that kid is going to stick around the same state they went to college in. But I can also see why it might make more sense to have that college kid's residency remain where his parents live.

Also isn't part of the reason that NH is becoming less a Republican stronghold that a lot of evil liberal Massachusetts residents are moving across the border? I thought that was a recent trend.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Trickier still is verifying residency of all those dead voters that showed up in NH riding that fictitious bus from MA . :lol:
Seriously, NH wasn't the victim of any massive voter fraud in 2016. It's huge 4 electoral votes didn't sway the outcome.

As to fast with multiple cars and a vacation home .. that's pure gold :roll:
more likely he lives in Wisconsin ..
https://www.voteriders.org/news_item/co ... r-to-vote/

:seeya
Last edited by brownman on Jul 16th, '18, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Forever .. Goat Path
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:I don't disagree with the law. The process for ansentee balloting could be better / smoother.

Not if my business or job is in NH and all my cars are registered and garaged in NH, furthermore, my home in NH is worth more than the vacation home in VT. I vote in NH and not in VT.
I'm telling you as someone who has had relatives and friends with second homes in VT, if you are present in VT for 183 days or more and not a student, VT will require you to claim residency there. Ask an accountant if you don't want to take my word for it.