new lodge or lifts that run??

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

bruceol
Green Skidder

new lodge or lifts that run??

Post by bruceol »

would rather have lifts that run instead of a new fancy lodge that i will never use.....a new lodge does nothing to improve skiing....lifts that run improve skiing....what do you think???
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: new lodge or lifts that run??

Post by Guy in Shorts »

We need a Gondola like Stowe. That lift always runs no matter what. Except for this past week where it was closed for three days.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

bruceol wrote:would rather have lifts that run instead of a new fancy lodge that i will never use.....a new lodge does nothing to improve skiing....lifts that run improve skiing....what do you think???
Kinda moot at this point wouldn't you agree.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

bruceol wrote:would rather have lifts that run instead of a new fancy lodge that i will never use.....a new lodge does nothing to improve skiing....lifts that run improve skiing....what do you think???
I think you’re confusing capital expenditures with maintenance dollars.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

both please and some snack mix
thanks
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Since when are they mutually exclusive?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Blame a mouse for Snowsheds issues yesterday and a transformer for the Bear Chair.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

When it comes to the hard core Killington skiers, they want lifts that run and snow making that carries us into Spring. They boot up in the parking lot and catch 1st chair. Some even risk accidents by driving with their boots on.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Lifts and lodges are not mutually exclusive. The premise of the post is nonsense. However it does highlight an issue I have with REIT's owning ski resorts. Sugarloaf was owned by a REIT, Boyne resorts didn't own it, they were merely the operator. Yet they put out this bogus 2020 plan about development at Bracket Basin (There was supposed to be a lift there, still hasn't happened). Boyne had no Cap-Ex, all that was all through the REIT, which just wanted to keep the dividends flowing to the shareholders. So Sugarloaf diverted maintenance dollars to fund the cutting of the glades, and we know how that turned out. The only way Sunday River and Sugarloaf have been getting new lifts is by destroying them. Fortunately, Boyne has since purchased the infrastructure back from the REIT, so eventually those resorts should see a more reasonable capital equipment plan.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

POWDR looks at the customer feedback and tries to fix/improve those aspects that are rated negative. Although we do not get to see what those feedback numbers are, I can easily see how the K1 lodge was a big detractor for the customer experience, maybe number one. And since it is a big revenue generator (maybe the biggest margin center after rental management fees) I can see how the lodge project got its capital.

Yes the lift system is a big detractor too but someone probably sits there and says something like "we can fix those negatives, we can manage it without big capital" so of course top brass likes to hear that. Except that THEY CANNOT FIX THINGS. So the lift system becomes a bigger and bigger negative. Its not just regulars or die hards on this board, its the general public who are commenting. People on chairs, people sitting in the lodges, people you run into at night - I have never heard a positive comment or compliment about Killington lifts in a long time. Yet everyone has a story about what chair they got stuck on that day. That's terrible publicity to have your customers taking home with them - "Wow, got stuck on a chair....blah blah blah"".

Will anything get done about this problem that affects all customers and holds back their growth? Based on the objective evidence and silence from management, nothing will be done except make more band-aids and fresh excuses. The competition experiences bad weather, power company issues, labor issues but manages to run their lifts way better than Killington.

There should be such a positive buzz about the place from the recent chair and lodge investments, but so far its either mismanagement or failure to commit by POWDR. I tend to trust local management, so guess where we need to look for help. Well, forget about that.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Good news is the tourons don't know the difference.

They take a few runs. Stand in line. Eat lunch. Take another run and go to HH.

Ikon is going to keep the hill jammed on Saturday no matter what.

Nice manageable crowd yesterday. No lines anywhere. Chairs were full till 3pm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Sunday was pretty nice, no real noticeable lift issues that I saw between 8am and 11:30 hitting Superstar, Bear Chair, Skye Peak quad, Needles quad, 6 pack. Just a few short stoppages.

Saturday had big lines on Superstar, Bubble for example at the peak times mid morning, then they went away after 11:30 or 12:00. Friends told me of half hour waits in the singles line for the bubble, observed a lot of stoppages there. Even the canyon quad had a nice line forming for a short while 10-11am. Probably because of the Bear lift problems pushing people to the other side, plus recent snowmaking and new acreage available there.

Saw a liftie pushing chairs manually around at the bottom of Superstar for a while in the morning. Seemed to be a good thing, it kept running. Hats off to ops for making the extra effort. Weather was nice, no ice, no winds. Hope they fix whatever was requiring constant manual labor.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

da Pimp wrote:Sunday was pretty nice, no real noticeable lift issues that I saw between 8am and 11:30 hitting Superstar, Bear Chair, Skye Peak quad, Needles quad, 6 pack. Just a few short stoppages.

Saturday had big lines on Superstar, Bubble for example at the peak times mid morning, then they went away after 11:30 or 12:00. Friends told me of half hour waits in the singles line for the bubble, observed a lot of stoppages there. Even the canyon quad had a nice line forming for a short while 10-11am. Probably because of the Bear lift problems pushing people to the other side, plus recent snowmaking and new acreage available there.

Saw a liftie pushing chairs manually around at the bottom of Superstar for a while in the morning. Seemed to be a good thing, it kept running. Hats off to ops for making the extra effort. Weather was nice, no ice, no winds. Hope they fix whatever was requiring constant manual labor.
I saw that on superstar too, had me hesitant to get on the lift, but I did and made it to the top without any stoppage.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

The new lodge will be 157% the size of the old one with better "Farm to Table" food options, a bigger bar and sweeping views from 2 story walls of glass. That means more people can sit down, warm up, eat, drink, and carry on. It's not a new lodge, it's an enhanced people collection device. Less people on the slopes and lift lines. Win Win.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:The new lodge will be 157% the size of the old one with better "Farm to Table" food options, a bigger bar and sweeping views from 2 story walls of glass. That means more people can sit down, warm up, eat, drink, and carry on. It's not a new lodge, it's an enhanced people collection device. Less people on the slopes and lift lines. Win Win.
They should only let you in on saturdays if you have a lift ticket.

But then again all those people who pay 25 bucks to go to the top will stay down below.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk