Dedicated Express Access Lanes

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Seacoaster
Bumper

Re: Dedicated Express Access Lanes

Post by Seacoaster »

I have a feeling with the mandate coming down the pipe, this is the least of their problems. Lots of staff will be leaving and they already cant find enough for fall, let alone winter.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

You mean vaccine mandate? Are there that many staffers that are anti-vax?
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

Doesn't have to be a "lot" of those against vaccination. If 1 in 20 are against the shot then that's a lot of departments that will be down 3-5 people. That's a whole lift crew on a weekend.

In reality I'm sure it's more than 1/20 who are against the vaccine.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Yeesh. You're probably right, though. My wife told me something like 15% of MGH employees still are not vaccinated. And those folks work at a hospital and see this thing up close. The power of stupid is awesome.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 14:36 Yeesh. You're probably right, though. My wife told me something like 15% of MGH employees still are not vaccinated. And those folks work at a hospital and see this thing up close. The power of stupid is awesome.
Could it be, Sherlock, that those opposed to getting the shot have had the China virus and now have natural immunity?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 15:43 Could it be, Sherlock, that those opposed to getting the shot have had the China virus and now have natural immunity?
So, you're suggesting that these people would prefer to lose their job rather than get a free vaccine just because they think it's unnecessary? And even though the prevailing medical opinion is that people who had Covid should still get the vaccine because they may still be vulnerable to other variants like Delta?
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 15:56
throbster wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 15:43 Could it be, Sherlock, that those opposed to getting the shot have had the China virus and now have natural immunity?
So, you're suggesting that these people would prefer to lose their job rather than get a free vaccine just because they think it's unnecessary? And even though the prevailing medical opinion is that people who had Covid should still get the vaccine because they may still be vulnerable to other variants like Delta?
I find it interesting that many say " you are not a Doctor or a Nurse, you don't see Covid up close and are not trained in medicine, what could you know", yet when Doctors or Nurses come out against the treatment(it is not a vaccine as we all know a vaccine to be) then they are no longer front line saviors and their intellectual knowledge is deemed no longer relevant, isn't that then really just a politically convenient cop out?
I believe if you look at the studies coming out of Israel where data is far more easily mined due to privacy laws, natural immunity from previous exposure is far greater than that provided by the treatment(vaccine).
As it relates to the mountain, I don't know you, your friends or where you live. I do know they are already understaffed, are challenged to get staff and they are not even in their busy period which requires more staff. I do know department heads who have openly stated they are going to lose half of their departments if/when mandates are applied, which apparently is coming right down the pipeline.
I would not call these people the convenient term of "anti-vaxxers" I would say they are independent thinkers most of which have natural immunity do to previous infection which is stronger than that provided by the treatment, with a lack of long term data(as it relates to side affects), most of these being young people with long lifes ahead of them, they are not finding logic in the upside of this treatment. I think most who are questioning this treatment would likely accept it if they were in high risk categories with no previous infection.

"The Power of stupid" is an interesting point perhaps only to be answered over time. 15% of those MGH employees who clearly got there from being stupid in the first place :bang
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Seacoaster wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 09:07 I would not call these people the convenient term of "anti-vaxxers" I would say they are independent thinkers most of which have natural immunity do to previous infection which is stronger than that provided by the treatment, with a lack of long term data(as it relates to side affects), most of these being young people with long lifes ahead of them, they are not finding logic in the upside of this treatment. I think most who are questioning this treatment would likely accept it if they were in high risk categories with no previous infection.
There is almost zero risk to taking the vaccine. There is a much higher risk of dying from Covid than experiencing a complication from the vaccine. Many otherwise healthy young people have died from Covid, and others get the dreaded long-haul symptoms. Balanced against that risk, the decision not to take the vaccine is pretty stupid, especially if it means losing your job over it.

I suspect these same folks who refuse the vaccine will happily drink, smoke and ingest substances to get high. Not that I am against that sort of thing, but if some fool thinks taking a highly tested vaccine is more dangerous than ingesting alcohol or something a friend handed them at a bar, they're not exercising critical thinking skills.

I sympathize with any business that has trouble staffing because of a vaccine mandate. But frankly I'd rather not have people at a resort like Killington who are not vaccinated as they could potentially turn the mountain into a Covid hot spot and get it shut down.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

throbster wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 15:43
easyrider16 wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 14:36 Yeesh. You're probably right, though. My wife told me something like 15% of MGH employees still are not vaccinated. And those folks work at a hospital and see this thing up close. The power of stupid is awesome.
Could it be, Sherlock, that those opposed to getting the shot have had the China virus and now have natural immunity?
Could it be that the majority of those 15% are not front line staff, rather they are office workers and the like?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 11:28 Could it be that the majority of those 15% are not front line staff, rather they are office workers and the like?
Not sure what the makeup is exactly, but the numbers include all staff, from janitors to office staff to medical professionals. Still, you would think people who work with medical professionals every day would bother to talk to them about this vaccine and get professional advice when it's so readily available. It's also very visible if you work at the hospital in any capacity as covid protocols are in place everywhere and it's very stringent.

I have heard of some medical professionals who are anti-vax. It seems rare, but I've got a friend of a friend who's a nurse and refuses it. Her fellow medical professionals think she's bonkers. Goes to show you that there are kooks in any group, no matter how well educated.

Let's get one thing straight, though. The prevailing opinion in the medical community is that everyone should be vaccinated even if you've had Covid. That hasn't changed regardless of recent studies that may have come out of Israel. If you claim we should listen to medical professionals and rely on their advice, they're overwhelmingly saying you should get the vaccine.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Does she think it has a microchip in it?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Maybe she saw that Youtube video with the magnet?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Central Maine Medical Center (third largest hospital in Maine) is diverting patients due to staffing shortages because of the vaccine mandate.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/maine-hosp ... s/37933208
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Please take the vaccine/covid discussion to one of the many other threads on this topic. Alternatively, we can split this topic.

Getting this thread back on topic...

Any indication on when the express lane passes go on sale? Presuming prices will increase with demand, it is best to purchase as early as possible!

signed,
your fellow 1%er*

*1% of what? who knows?!?!?!?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

This product is really only going to have value on mid-season Saturdays, xmas weekend, new years weekend, and maybe Presidents weekend but probably not so much . . .

Still pretty much lame elitist BS . It would be interesting to get some actual tracking data of non-fastlane vs fastlane to see how many more runs or vertical feet one gets . .

Oh, and BTW, on a powder day . . all bets are off :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"