Killington: A chronic underachiever

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Pushgears
Blue Chatterbox

Killington: A chronic underachiever

Post by Pushgears »

I've skied Killington since 1972, and have had some great days on the mountain. I've also skied other resorts in the US, CAN, and the EU. What I can't understand though, is how Killington Resort has never become the World-Class resort that it deserves to be. On paper, its potential sounds phenomenal-a sprawling multi-peaked resort in a beautiful part of Vermont, with tremendous variety of terrain, and near a large skier and rider population. But that's where it ends.

Anyone who has skied at a well-run resort, such as Vail or Snowbird, has to laugh at the outdated, inadequate lift system we endure. There aren't enough of them, they're old, and they don't go where they need to. The introduction of an "Express Line" confirms their inadequacy. People applauded the construction of the summit stairs? Why? I don't get it. Why should the early season skiing require walking? (Are adaptive skiers and riders accommodated?)

It doesn't end there. Parking, transportation, lodging, the Interconnect, the racing program, Pico,... This is The Most Iconic Mountain on the East Coast, but also the most mis-managed. It's nothing new, it's always been that way. Why can't the Beast be the Best? With all the big money out there, why can't someone come in and make it right? It's the largest, shoddiest operation in the state IMHO.

I know this is a contentious topic and people feel strongly on both sides. So is the mountain a chronic underachiever?
Conversation for for a *ainy day!
I spend a little time on the mountain, spend a little time on the hill.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: Killington: A chronic underachiever

Post by RustyK »

Sounds like you might like to ski at Stratton more in the future.... :roll:
Where is Happy Hour ?
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Pushgears wrote: Oct 26th, '21, 07:22 I've skied Killington since 1972, and have had some great days on the mountain. I've also skied other resorts in the US, CAN, and the EU. What I can't understand though, is how Killington Resort has never become the World-Class resort that it deserves to be. On paper, its potential sounds phenomenal-a sprawling multi-peaked resort in a beautiful part of Vermont, with tremendous variety of terrain, and near a large skier and rider population. But that's where it ends.

Anyone who has skied at a well-run resort, such as Vail or Snowbird, has to laugh at the outdated, inadequate lift system we endure. There aren't enough of them, they're old, and they don't go where they need to. The introduction of an "Express Line" confirms their inadequacy. People applauded the construction of the summit stairs? Why? I don't get it. Why should the early season skiing require walking? (Are adaptive skiers and riders accommodated?)

It doesn't end there. Parking, transportation, lodging, the Interconnect, the racing program, Pico,... This is The Most Iconic Mountain on the East Coast, but also the most mis-managed. It's nothing new, it's always been that way. Why can't the Beast be the Best? With all the big money out there, why can't someone come in and make it right? It's the largest, shoddiest operation in the state IMHO.

I know this is a contentious topic and people feel strongly on both sides. So is the mountain a chronic underachiever?
The short answer is, because New England is not British Columbia or Colorado. How many folks across the world given the choice are going to fly into Rutland over Vancouver or Salt Lake City. Really not much else to add than that, the comparison/expectation is rather silly.

As for the most mis-managed, I don't think you've been around very long. You should see the inside workings of some of the other places...
RedFlash
Beginner On Rentals

Post by RedFlash »

Is Killington really THAT bad? It does alright for itself given the woefully volatile East Coast winters. It can't be that bad if you have been skiing it since the Nixon administration.
Last edited by RedFlash on Oct 26th, '21, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

PushGears, huh? Looks like a big troll post to me. Most of your claims are pretty well off the mark to anyone who's skied Killington in the last ten years or so.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

and NOW?...a few minutes with Andy Rooney....I TOO...have 50 years banked in Big K....pretty sure that "Rye Brook" ...'splains a lot.....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

is the world cup not "world class" enough for for you. how about making more snow than anyone w the longest season. and exactly who in the east is more "world class" - maybe stowe but enjoy those liflines. are 2 8-passenger gondi's and high speed lifts coming out of every base not enough.

guess a base village would make the place feel more "world class" but that comes with a different set of problems. same with the interconnect. we are getting a new state-of-the-art base lodge if that matters. bear rebuild next and some new lifts.

think we're "world class" enough and guess what, whatever "world class" you're talking about - those areas don't have anywhere near the heart, soul and community that K does.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

What is wrong with the parking? I think K has the best parking of anywhere I have skiied. Every lot is just minutes from the snow. Most places you go you have to hop on a shuttle bus or hike for 15 minutes to get to the snow.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Maybe if Killington had chandeliers, and mahogany wood paneled bathroom stalls in their lodges, Pushgears would be happy.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

The parking hoestly is about as good as it gets, almost any day I want I can pull up to almost any base area and walk less then 100 yrds to a lift. If anything a "village" would only make the parking scenario worse. Go to the competitors, you are guaranteed to ride some type of a shuttle from parking to a place that you then walk 100 yards.
RedFlash
Beginner On Rentals

Post by RedFlash »

throbster wrote: Oct 26th, '21, 09:32 Maybe if Killington had chandeliers, and mahogany wood paneled bathroom stalls in their lodges, Pushgears would be happy.
Haha! Right. Just give me decent snow and terrain and all of that other crap you can have.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

The claims about parking are what made me think this is a total troll. As stated, the parking at K is better than almost anywhere else I've been.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Until you see people from Austria or Texas flying to Vermont for their ski vacation, there is no way any resort in New England will be world class. The premise of your question starts out wrong. You have to judge Killington in its arena, which is other Northeastern resorts. In that vein, Killington does fine.

To a large extent you need look no further than Act 250 and the anti development bias in Vermont to see why less capital gets invested. It costs more to develop there, or the risk of return is too great, or gaining approval isn't even possible. Just getting snowmaking water to Pico is a good example of this.

What is Killington lacking?

Enough true ski-in lodging.

Killington was initially developed when nearby house lots were in vogue in the 60's. Even in the late 60's when the Gondola went in, "Killington East" was all single family lots. All of these have a short season, have no central neighborhood, and few are right on the trail. The core of Killington was built before ski condos were a thing, the entire basin was done by the mid 60's. Killington has not added any terrain with planned access to housing since Sunrise, and that too is a short season satellite location. Contrast that with many new housing focused base areas at Okemo - Solitude, Jackson Gore, Sachem, Southface Village.

Killington needs large amounts of true slope-side lodging that is designed to be built incrementally.

More blue square trails.

While Killington looks good on paper, the real blue square terrain is
Rime, Cruise Control, Skyelark, Bittersweet, Bunny/Chute/Lower Chute, Bear Claw. Everything else is a traverse, terrain park, a re-colored green, or doesn't even get snowmaking so isn't open (Header). Skyeburst has a scary entry. 6 trails, 2 runner-ups. Not surprisingly, these core trails are the most crowded. But what about Needles you ask? Show me a blue square entrance that can be skied with blue square skills. Needles has become the blue square terrain for advanced skiers, and it is very popular. Black diamond skiers like blues too.

Killington will never have a true village like Stowe or Ludlow. You can manufacture a small commercial/residential district, but 1) not at the expense of the town property owners, 2) built incrementally, 3) Not at the expense of so much valuable close in parking, 4) After a larger bed base is established.

The Village should be built (if ever) incrementally on a far smaller scale saving the entire upper Snowshed parking lot after you create the demand with more blue square skiing and more beds in close proximity (Ramshead and Snowshed ski-in trailside condos)

There is an intersection of more ski in condos, more blue square terrain, and central location right to the immediate north of Ramshead.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

newpylong1 wrote: Oct 26th, '21, 07:48
Pushgears wrote: Oct 26th, '21, 07:22 I've skied Killington since 1972, and have had some great days on the mountain. I've also skied other resorts in the US, CAN, and the EU. What I can't understand though, is how Killington Resort has never become the World-Class resort that it deserves to be. On paper, its potential sounds phenomenal-a sprawling multi-peaked resort in a beautiful part of Vermont, with tremendous variety of terrain, and near a large skier and rider population. But that's where it ends.

The short answer is, because New England is not British Columbia or Colorado. How many folks across the world given the choice are going to fly into Rutland over Vancouver or Salt Lake City. Really not much else to add than that, the comparison/expectation is rather silly.

As for the most mis-managed, I don't think you've been around very long. You should see the inside workings of some of the other places...
There are plenty of Brits who love to ski Killington rather than cross the channel and ski the alps. baffles me...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Big Bob wrote: Oct 26th, '21, 15:22 There are plenty of Brits who love to ski Killington rather than cross the channel and ski the alps. baffles me...
The ones I've talked to:

Like the easy language difference
Frequently cheaper
Europe is seen as less friendly
They alternate trips and ski both
Like to buy American jeans etc while they're here

They are the exception.