Killington Ranked Best Ski Area in Vermont

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Killington Ranked Best Ski Area in Vermont

Post by Bubba »

his season, 2021-22, Vermont Ski + Ride took a page from our sister publication, Vermont Sports, and sent out the Black Diamond Reader Survey. The survey asked readers to rate the best ski areas in Vermont in 14 categories, including Best Overall, Best to Avoid Crowds, Best Snowmaking/Grooming, Toughest Trail, Best Ski Bar, Best Ski Town and more. (Scroll down for links to all categories.)

Here’s what readers said was the: BEST SKI AREA IN VERMONT

The question was quite simple: What’s the best overall ski area in Vermont? Killington Mountain Resort came away the clear winner, with Sugarbush not far behind and Jay Peak, Stowe and Mad River Glen within a few votes of each other.

https://vtskiandride.com/best-ski-area-vermont/
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Killington Ranked Best Ski Area in Vermont

Post by Mister Moose »

Here’s what our readers said were Vermont ski towns’ BEST PIZZAS:

1. American Flatbread, Waitsfield/Middlebury/Burlington. 2. Piecasso, Stowe 3. Ramunto’s, Bridgewater, 4. Domenic’s, Killington. 5. Fireside Flatbread, Bolton Valley Resort.

Ramunto's, Rutland. And what about Hoppin Moose?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I think Killington is the best in the Northeast, not just Vermont.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

"Perhaps the only things that got thumbs down were the new Fast Tracks program (pay $49 per day and you can use a special lift line) and priority reserved parking: elitism doesn’t go over well in a place that has catered to the masses."
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

snoloco wrote: Apr 5th, '22, 19:33 I think Killington is the best in the Northeast, not just Vermont.
Non vacation midweek, yes. Saturdays, hell no!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Big Bob wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 11:41
snoloco wrote: Apr 5th, '22, 19:33 I think Killington is the best in the Northeast, not just Vermont.
what major ski area in the east is not "hell no" on a saturday. at k there are places to get away from the crowds.

while no place is perfect, there's no place in the east like killington.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 11:14 "Perhaps the only things that got thumbs down were the new Fast Tracks program (pay $49 per day and you can use a special lift line) and priority reserved parking: elitism doesn’t go over well in a place that has catered to the masses."
guessing fast tracks could be useful on a saturday but the other 6 days, no one uses it. doesn't effect me one way or another.

that priority parking is a major bust. no one uses it and they waste an entire bay. return it to the people.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 19:11
Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 11:14 "Perhaps the only things that got thumbs down were the new Fast Tracks program (pay $49 per day and you can use a special lift line) and priority reserved parking: elitism doesn’t go over well in a place that has catered to the masses."
guessing fast tracks could be useful on a saturday but the other 6 days, no one uses it. doesn't effect me one way or another.

that priority parking is a major bust. no one uses it and they waste an entire bay. return it to the people.
It was probably empty because people like me that paid for preferred parking might not have been able to ski this winter but since they bought it, the mountain must reserve the spaces for those that might show up.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

tyrolean_skier wrote: Apr 7th, '22, 12:08

It was probably empty because people like me that paid for preferred parking might not have been able to ski this winter but since they bought it, the mountain must reserve the spaces for those that might show up.
I don't think he is talking about the Bay1 season parking, Ty. I think he means the priority parking they set up in Bay 2.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Big thumbs up on Fast Tracks. Let a total of two people in front of us all season. We thanked them for buying the Fast Pass.

Loved having the vendor run the Bay One and Bay Two parking . No need to change a thing. Already bought our pass for next year. Pay the piper or be grateful in Bay 3.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 19:03
Big Bob wrote: Apr 6th, '22, 11:41
what major ski area in the east is not "hell no" on a saturday. at k there are places to get away from the crowds.

while no place is perfect, there's no place in the east like killington.
I would vote for Burke Mnt on a Saturday or maybe Mars Hill up in the county. Far enough from the US urban centers to have a filtering effect. I can't wait for the Balsams to reopen in a few years.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

For the whole November 1-May 1 timeframe, K is best. Give me 3 feet of base with a foot+ in the forecast, Sugarbush is where I want to be. Too bad their snowmaking is awful and before Christmas you're lucky to get 5 ways down the hill. Essentially if I have to buy a season pass, it's Killington hands down every time. If I get one ski week a year and I can time it to however I want, it's going to be Sugarbush.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

iRock wrote: Apr 7th, '22, 21:45 For the whole November 1-May 1 timeframe, K is best. Give me 3 feet of base with a foot+ in the forecast, Sugarbush is where I want to be. Too bad their snowmaking is awful and before Christmas you're lucky to get 5 ways down the hill. Essentially if I have to buy a season pass, it's Killington hands down every time. If I get one ski week a year and I can time it to however I want, it's going to be Sugarbush.
I agree with that about K, but where you wrote Sugarbush, I would also substitute MRG and Jay (both those subs also work in my opinion). I was bored during the crappy weather earlier, found ever since I've kept track, I've skied Killington more than half of my ski days. Overall K is my 5th favorite ski area in NE, but I'm not surprised I've skied K the most.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

How much is a preferred parking season pass?
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

ozzy wrote: Apr 8th, '22, 20:51 How much is a preferred parking season pass?
$459 plus tax for next year.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.