Someday Bigger?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

throbster
Postaholic

Someday Bigger?

Post by throbster »

https://www.sundayriver.com/jordan-8

Killington might not be the Beast of the East much longer unless they do the interconnect.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Someday Bigger?

Post by Mister Moose »

throbster wrote: Aug 15th, '22, 16:02 https://www.sundayriver.com/jordan-8

Killington might not be the Beast of the East much longer unless they do the interconnect.
Unpossible, they're not even proposing an in the parking lot Village. All they've got on tap is lift served mountain top home sites and ski in-off the trail sites. Who's gonna want that?
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

60 chairs on that new 8 seater...what's it going to service, 700 vertical feet? (maybe I missed something, but they list facts about it and leave out the only two important stats)
ifixu
Green Skidder

Post by ifixu »

DES wrote: Aug 16th, '22, 06:52 60 chairs on that new 8 seater...what's it going to service, 700 vertical feet? (maybe I missed something, but they list facts about it and leave out the only two important stats)
Nice catch, and heated seats for a little over 4 minute ride? WTF
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

DES wrote: Aug 16th, '22, 06:52 60 chairs on that new 8 seater...what's it going to service, 700 vertical feet? (maybe I missed something, but they list facts about it and leave out the only two important stats)
1460 Vertical feet directly served (may be a few less vertical as they basically blasted the top of Jordan off to regrade the entire summit). They went big to minimize wind hold issues out there. The Reserve terrain is a decade out at minimum.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

There's pre-EPIC Stowe, and post-EPIC. The experience has changed, even if the terrain has not. Okemo, Mt. Snow, and others have suffered the same fate.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Its clear Boyne got a deal on these 8 seat D-Line lifts. Hell they are even puting one in at Boyne Highlands!

A 6 or an 8 at Ramshead should be Killington's next Lift
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

And it will be.

As Machski said, expansion beyond Jordan is a decade plus out. Then they will need the visits to warrant it (a la Killington Interconnect). There's a lot of ducks to get in a row on the existing hill first for Boyne. One thing they have done is make monumental improvements in the snowmaking system, specifically in water distribution. Killington should be taking notes on that progress.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

That is a very impressive lift. And yes, would love to see one of those on Rams Head.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Boyne installed one at Loon in NH last season. I was there for the opening ceremony. They loaded 3 chairs, and it broke down for 3 minutes... It is a nice ride, serves about 1200 vertical feet. Th building you enter to load is larger than the base lodge. The chair seats do feel a little warm. The biggest issue is line management, which they were not really doing well. I ski midweek, so filling all the seats is not as important as on a Saturday. in order to get full capacity, you have to fill every seat. The reason for the low chair count is the number of seats.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

machski wrote: Aug 16th, '22, 07:36
1460 Vertical feet directly served (may be a few less vertical as they basically blasted the top of Jordan off to regrade the entire summit). They went big to minimize wind hold issues out there. The Reserve terrain is a decade out at minimum.
Oh, ok, thanks. The large spacing btw chairs to accommodate the higher speed makes sense (I didn't bother to read that it was a replacement as I don't frequent Sunday River anymore- though I did in the 80's when they were one of the first with a detach quad).
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

That lift would be an abomination at K. All you have to do is look at Bear on any Saturday to see what happens when you have too much uphill capacity for the downhill capacity of the existing trails.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

G-smashed wrote: Aug 17th, '22, 08:05 That lift would be an abomination at K. All you have to do is look at Bear on any Saturday to see what happens when you have too much uphill capacity for the downhill capacity of the existing trails.
That is a valid point as far as the 8 seater goes but a I think Rams Head could support a 6 seater.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

KingsFourMan wrote: Aug 17th, '22, 10:45
G-smashed wrote: Aug 17th, '22, 08:05 That lift would be an abomination at K. All you have to do is look at Bear on any Saturday to see what happens when you have too much uphill capacity for the downhill capacity of the existing trails.
That is a valid point as far as the 8 seater goes but a I think Rams Head could support a 6 seater.
Timberline is for park rats; Skiers left is for KMS; and they can’t blow snow on Upper Header after it opens because the lift runs down the middle of the trail. Until/unless they address that installing a new lift there is a waste.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Park rats are people, who pay as much as anyone else and take as much room up both on the lift and the line as anyone else.

There is sufficient downhill capacity on Ram's Head for a 6 and they have the data to support it. It is a fairly easy and industry standard calculation to determine up/down capacity.

Swirl is not often closed during peak periods. You have Easy Street, Header, Timberline, and Caper. If you ran numbers that's a similar if not more downhill capacity than the Jordan Bowl which is getting an 8. The Upper Header snowmaking explanation makes no sense as there are similar lift profiles all over the country and they are covered. If they can cover Superstar with 2 feet of man made in November they can figure out how not to cover the chair. It was done for 20 years up until recently. However, with a new lift would come a storage barn. The chairs would be parked there and you can keep the rope moving during snowmaking operations.

From what little I have been told, Killington is not looking to install an 8 anywhere.