Thursday, Dec 22

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Thursday, Dec 22

Post by MrsG »

Two words - consistently inconsistent …. with flat light!
Big Bob
Postinator

Re: Thursday, Dec 22

Post by Big Bob »

I keep looking for the light switch yesterday, but coiuld not find it when I skied into the shadows.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

My son & I had an awesome day at K. Open Bell 2 great runs off Bubble. Skied with Jane and Gerry. Great corduroy. Then at least 5 in N. Ridge Pod. Fabulous snow surface. Did our first of season journey across Launch Pad to Skylark & Bitter. Delicious snow surface. After 2 hours coffee at new K-1 Lodge for story telling with Gerry. Exciting day.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Good skiing days with your kids are the best.
spanky
Site Admin

Thursday, Dec 22

Post by spanky »

newpylong1 wrote:Good skiing days with your kids are the best.
Agreed. Just wrapped up a week at Stowe with the Fam. Great times!

Edit: Stowe debuted their new six pack today. Not without some hiccups. Lots of stops and slow downs. Also, they have a “weighting” problem with the safety bar as it tends to fall down after passengers offload. They had a lift op at the top making sure the bar didn’t fall down after people unloaded. Supposedly, they’re going to increase the spring tension on the safety bars tonight.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Big Bob wrote: Dec 22nd, '22, 15:45 I keep looking for the light switch yesterday, but coiuld not find it when I skied into the shadows.
hit mohawk for day 1, same issue with light. similar nice surface as you all reported. bending a ski again was beauteous!
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Fantastic day saying "goodbye" to all the nats. Small natural bumps all over the mountain. What's the difference? No ice underneath just grass and rocks so we don;t have the usual powder ice bumps of later in the season. Never seen Cascade and Flume look like this. Downdraft from the summit has been fantastic. Vertigo (from the top) was great and Needles continued to deliver. Reserved Dipper was also filled with fluffiness! Even Conclusion and a groomed middle Great Bear.
Snowing hard now, Net gain from the storm coming and this should lock in many of these fine bump lines.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Were they able to get enough man made down on Downdraft HW a few weeks ago so you're not bottoming out now or is it still pretty bony?
Bumper

Post by 180 »

newpylong1 wrote: Dec 22nd, '22, 21:59 Were they able to get enough man made down on Downdraft HW a few weeks ago so you're not bottoming out now or is it still pretty bony?
They did make snow this year so its set for the season. The entrance is spicy up by the lodge
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

180 wrote: Dec 22nd, '22, 21:52 Fantastic day saying "goodbye" to all the nats. Small natural bumps all over the mountain. What's the difference? No ice underneath just grass and rocks so we don;t have the usual powder ice bumps of later in the season. Never seen Cascade and Flume look like this. Downdraft from the summit has been fantastic. Vertigo (from the top) was great and Needles continued to deliver. Reserved Dipper was also filled with fluffiness! Even Conclusion and a groomed middle Great Bear.
Snowing hard now, Net gain from the storm coming and this should lock in many of these fine bump lines.
absolutely. no ice underneath. while the coverage got thin in spots, this past week was as close to western skiing as we get. bummed i missed the last 2 days, but it was 5 great days. mtn reporting 7" overnight, so yes they'll be a net gain.

right now it's pouring with the change back to snow happening around 2pm, followed by a flash freeze. some snow on the back end. we'll see how it plays ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Had a decent day chasing my girls around. Best snow we found was (as usual) mid SS to High Road (aka the Turbo) 8)
We experienced good visibility and what we saw most was that the nats are pretty skied out.
Needles and Hiline were like mining expeditions. Dolomite galore. Guns blazing over on the Bear pod.
Mucho Gusto late in the afternoon .. whatever snow falls ain’t gonna stay put.

Btw.. the schlep is much improved .. and the Fireplace is progressing nicely :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Pico Report: Not real happy and believe K/Pico really missed an opportunity here.

Why the F wasn't the Outback chair running? Some of the best natural snow trails in the northeast, and probably in better condition than anywhere else what with the low skier traffic at Pico [including closed days]. And, knowing the upcoming storm damage - THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN OPEN AND THE CHAIR RUNNING.

To add to that, all of the upper trails off the Golden Express were also closed, except for the one that takes you to the Summit chair. They had even run a groomer up the main slope wrecking it [intentionally?]; this trail had perfect snow on it and would have been a great intermediate trail to have open.

And, when I got there, the Little Pico chair wasn't running for some reason. So I had to hoof it up to the Golden to get to the Summit chair.

Summit runs were very good. But why was Upper Pike closed [not that folks weren't skiing it. And later, when the Little Pico chair was running, Those slopes were good as well.

ROTD: KA. Not my favorite trail butt, with it's narrow cut, it was more skied in, and the best bumps, of the bunch. Summit glades was also very good.

B-Slope was outstanding! All natural snow, decent bumps on the steeper sections, etc.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 23rd, '22, 11:14 Afternoon Pico Report: Not real happy and believe K/Pico really missed an opportunity here.

Why the F wasn't the Outback chair running? Some of the best natural snow trails in the northeast, and probably in better condition than anywhere else what with the low skier traffic at Pico [including closed days]. And, knowing the upcoming storm damage - THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN OPEN AND THE CHAIR RUNNING.

To add to that, all of the upper trails off the Golden Express were also closed, except for the one that takes you to the Summit chair. They had even run a groomer up the main slope wrecking it [intentionally?]; this trail had perfect snow on it and would have been a great intermediate trail to have open.

And, when I got there, the Little Pico chair wasn't running for some reason. So I had to hoof it up to the Golden to get to the Summit chair.

Summit runs were very good. But why was Upper Pike closed [not that folks weren't skiing it. And later, when the Little Pico chair was running, Those slopes were good as well.

ROTD: KA. Not my favorite trail butt, with it's narrow cut, it was more skied in, and the best bumps, of the bunch. Summit glades was also very good.

B-Slope was outstanding! All natural snow, decent bumps on the steeper sections, etc.
you're my hero cap. skiing and hosting an open mic (bummed i missed that).

i know you lose the upper sections but couldn't you just take that cutover over trail lasso to access some of outpost. and it's worth at least one hike to hit pipeline from the top.

interestingly today, pico says outpost is on wind hold. maybe they run it on fridays. but you're right a missed opportunity when they know those trails will be closed for the duration.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

Captain Hafski wrote: Dec 23rd, '22, 11:14Summit runs were very good. But why was Upper Pike closed [not that folks weren't skiing it.
I heard Pike has been closed because they haven't set up safety features yet, such as the pads on the lift towers... But I haven't been over there since Monday.