Saturday 2/4

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Low Rider
Black Carver

Saturday 2/4

Post by Low Rider »

Forecast is looking bitter cold.

Low of -20 and High of -3 with winds 22-29 mph and gusts up to 45 per NOAA at the peak.

Anyone remember what the temps / wind was that day they just totally closed a few years back? Are we flirting with that?
Eddytheyetti
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Saturday 2/4

Post by Eddytheyetti »

I don’t remember them closing for cold. But I doubt they would close on a Saturday unless it’s something a lot worse than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

It was so freaking cold. Though they did open the lower trails at Pico that day. My goggles froze over so I could not see out of them at the top of the knomes knoll triple and I tried to ski with them off just to make it down. My eyeballs were crusting over. Kind of scary
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Skivt2 wrote: Jan 30th, '23, 21:00 It was so freaking cold. Though they did open the lower trails at Pico that day. My goggles froze over so I could not see out of them at the top of the knomes knoll triple and I tried to ski with them off just to make it down. My eyeballs were crusting over. Kind of scary
This is correct. I think Gmomes Knoll was the only lift across both resorts that was running.

Maybe 4 years ago? Was that a weekend day? It would have been either a weekend day or vacation weekday as I would not have been there midweek for that.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

I believe it was 4 years ago wash b day.

20 below during the day.

Stuck at the pool all day ; )

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I did some detective work - Jan 6, 2018 and per the report 3 lower lifts were running at Pico.

Here is the thread:

viewtopic.php?t=43494

Edit:
And a report from TY viewtopic.php?t=43497
Don't Killington Pico
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

That's about right. I remember at the time I was surprised they closed the resort that had covered lifts, yet kept Pico open.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Ancient history: Christmas 1968. This was my 1st time driving to Vt. We hit Mt Snow, Stowe, and ended up at K. It was freezing cold and windy and we started at Ram's Head double. We were the only ones on the lift and it was so cold old we tucked it down Timberline just to get out of the cold. We found out that we were the last ones on the lift before they closed the entire resort for the day. No enclosed lifts or high speed quads in those days.

I hope the only time I spend outside Sat will be the stairway up to the K1 lodge. Somebody save me a seat at the bar please.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Captain Hafski wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 09:07 That's about right. I remember at the time I was surprised they closed the resort that had covered lifts, yet kept Pico open.
I wonder if it was windy? The lower lifts at Pico are pretty wind protected for the most part…. And maybe they figured it was a pretty small ace race they would have to patrol if the needed to snowmobile up to help someone? Not sure of the rationale of those vs the 2 gondolas. (I don’t think the bubble chair existed at that point did it?)
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Conditions were surprisingly good despite the cold. At the open skied Skyeburst T2B and it was great, skis squeaking in the cold… An early bathroom break in the K1 delivered an unwelcome surprise, though… Getting kicked out of “lost and found” was also a first. But other than that, a great day on the mountain.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

G-smashed wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 18:06 Ancient history: Christmas 1968. This was my 1st time driving to Vt. We hit Mt Snow, Stowe, and ended up at K. It was freezing cold and windy and we started at Ram's Head double. We were the only ones on the lift and it was so cold old we tucked it down Timberline just to get out of the cold. We found out that we were the last ones on the lift before they closed the entire resort for the day. No enclosed lifts or high speed quads in those days.

I hope the only time I spend outside Sat will be the stairway up to the K1 lodge. Somebody save me a seat at the bar please.
Wow, 1968, you really are the official Kzone historian. Great story. Glad to hear that you will be at the K1 bar this weekend, If I was going to be there, I'd buy you a beer. You must remember when the original gondola was shiny and new. And when the access road was complete and total lawlessness. It was lawlessness when i first showed up in 1980. Remember Bilbos? That was the first bar I was ever served in. I was 17.

That old Rams Head double to the peak was a serious dog of a lift but i miss those runs from the peak. I hated it when Rams head was decapitated.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

KingsFourMan wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 21:01
G-smashed wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 18:06 Ancient history: Christmas 1968. This was my 1st time driving to Vt. We hit Mt Snow, Stowe, and ended up at K. It was freezing cold and windy and we started at Ram's Head double. We were the only ones on the lift and it was so cold old we tucked it down Timberline just to get out of the cold. We found out that we were the last ones on the lift before they closed the entire resort for the day. No enclosed lifts or high speed quads in those days.

Wow, 1968, you really are the official Kzone historian. Great story. Glad to hear that you will be at the K1 bar this weekend, If I was going to be there, I'd buy you a beer. You must remember when the original gondola was shiny and new. And when the access road was complete and total lawlessness. It was lawlessness when i first showed up in 1980. Remember Bilbos? That was the first bar I was ever served in. I was 17.

That old Rams Head double to the peak was a serious dog of a lift but i miss those runs from the peak. I hated it when Rams head was decapitated.
December 1968 was also my first time at Killington. A group of us stayed at my friend’s uncle’s house near Glen Ellen and came down to Killington for one day. Too hazy in the car to remember the drive north but I do remember the cold once we got to Vermont.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

Bubba wrote: Feb 1st, '23, 10:02
KingsFourMan wrote: Jan 31st, '23, 21:01

December 1968 was also my first time at Killington. A group of us stayed at my friend’s uncle’s house near Glen Ellen and came down to Killington for one day. Too hazy in the car to remember the drive north but I do remember the cold once we got to Vermont.
While not necessarily a youngster but rather a transplant from the ski hills of Minnesota, my first Killington visit was 1977 - still remember that old Killington and Ramshead double as well as the now grown in section of lower Cascade
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Downdraft
Black Carver

Post by Downdraft »

Great snowmaking temps. Air off. Save money. Let them eat.

Fiddle and valley plunge. Light them up
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Downdraft wrote: Feb 1st, '23, 11:13 Great snowmaking temps. Air off. Save money. Let them eat.

Fiddle and valley plunge. Light them up
How are they supposed to make snow on fiddle? Only mother nature can currently do that.