Professor

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Professor

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I haven't found the link yet, but on the radio this morning they were discussing what a professor had said to a student at some university.

The question was "Is it ever right to break foriegn relations to protect our nation" (or something on the lines of this).

The students answer was "Yes"

The professor replied "Looks like you're going to have a lnog semester in this calls".

The same thing happens at my school daily, seems like all our profs (espec in Sociology, Psychology, History, Poli Sci, Econ) have a liberal agenda. I never understood why they can't teach both sides of the situation.

The radio show also mentioned that some thought has went into creating "affirmative action" for univesities to create a "equal" left/right number of profs at universities. IMHO that's not the most effective way to go about fixing the issue.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Ginger? MaryAnn?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Steve
Wanted Poster

Re: Professor

Post by Steve »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I haven't found the link yet, but on the radio this morning they were discussing what a professor had said to a student at some university.

The question was "Is it ever right to break foriegn relations to protect our nation" (or something on the lines of this).

The professor replied "Looks like you're going to have a lnog semester in this calls".

The same thing happens at my school daily, seems like all our profs (espec in Sociology, Psychology, History, Poli Sci, Econ) have a liberal agenda. I never understood why they can't teach both sides of the situation.

The radio show also mentioned that some thought has went into creating "affirmative action" for univesities to create a "equal" left/right number of profs at universities. IMHO that's not the most effective way to go about fixing the issue.
you need to get yerself a blog.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Professor

Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:I haven't found the link yet, but on the radio this morning they were discussing what a professor had said to a student at some university.

you need to get yerself a blog.
Yea I know....eventually someone usually comments on some of my threads...probably 1 out of 5 haha!
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

set yerself up on livejournal.
i'll even add you as a friend.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Steve wrote:set yerself up on livejournal.
i'll even add you as a friend.
haha....I'm already set-up on one of those blog services..just need to use it
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

When you break foreign relations, you've pretty much relagated yourself to not necessarily protecting your nation, rather, you're inviting hostilities...I mean...typically when you break foreign relations the end result is war, right? And war does mean hostilities...and therefore, if you're inviting hostilities, then you're not really protecting your nation, are you?

And oh yeah...what's so bad with studying under a professor with an opposing viewpoint? I found I learned more by arguing with a professor who didn't agree with me than one who shared the same beliefs and merely reaffirmed what I already knew. Remember, if you want your faith and knowledge to grow, it must be challenged.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

ski_adk wrote: And oh yeah...what's so bad with studying under a professor with an opposing viewpoint? I found I learned more by arguing with a professor who didn't agree with me than one who shared the same beliefs and merely reaffirmed what I already knew. Remember, if you want your faith and knowledge to grow, it must be challenged.
That's not the point. Profs (more often than not) will grade conservative/republican students harder than liberal/democrat students because of their viewpoints. It's nice to hear the flip side of things if that flip side is consciously conveyed and I know what the other side is (similar to how Bubba can lay out facts/viewpoints well and clearly). I'm not sure how many college students you know, but very few even know who the vice president is (and they voted!). That being said, many college students leave class reciting what their liberal professor told them and regard it as the holy bible. Similar to what the "un-knowledgeable" people did that saw Michael Moore....for clueless people, he is their media outlet of choice because they know no different.
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: That's not the point. Profs (more often than not) will grade conservative/republican students harder than liberal/democrat students because of their viewpoints. It's nice to hear the flip side of things if that flip side is consciously conveyed and I know what the other side is (similar to how Bubba can lay out facts/viewpoints well and clearly). I'm not sure how many college students you know, but very few even know who the vice president is (and they voted!). That being said, many college students leave class reciting what their liberal professor told them and regard it as the holy bible. Similar to what the "un-knowledgeable" people did that saw Michael Moore....for clueless people, he is their media outlet of choice because they know no different.
generalizations and opinion. nothing more.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

The professor's question, if worded as you say, made no sense. Breaking off diplomatic relations, recalling an ambassador, anything along those lines, is a diplomatic move and has nothing to do with "protecting" the nation. A country would break off relations to "make a statement" or to protest something the other country did, or something along those lines. Yes, it could also be a prelude to hostilities, but that's not necessarily the case and most often is not.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe