Economy is doing real well?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Like DMC said, he's a jack of all trades. That's something I feel most tech companies want...he's good at every task that the tech shop needs him to do, but he's certainly not a professional in one of those technologies.

If we look at DMC, he does a little bit of everything. That means if he's fired, laid off, etc he has several career paths he can take because of the plethora of skills he possesses. Sure he doesn't know one of those skills 100%, but who nowadays does? People that engage in one technology and one alone are due at some point to be jobless.
Acutally I'm a professional at everything i do...
What I'm becoming is a solutions architect.......
I knew if I wrote it the way it wouldn't be read the way I wanted. Sorry, but you know what I mean :D
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Like DMC said, he's a jack of all trades. That's something I feel most tech companies want...he's good at every task that the tech shop needs him to do, but he's certainly not a professional in one of those technologies.

If we look at DMC, he does a little bit of everything. That means if he's fired, laid off, etc he has several career paths he can take because of the plethora of skills he possesses. Sure he doesn't know one of those skills 100%, but who nowadays does? People that engage in one technology and one alone are due at some point to be jobless.
I knew if I wrote it the way it wouldn't be read the way I wanted. Sorry, but you know what I mean :D
I'm cool... :)

So - I just spent an hour talking about SAP.... And the single signon to databases... bleeeach...
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

So - I just spent an hour talking about SAP.... And the single signon to databases... bleeeach...
Got you beat man. I'm about to spend the next hour reviewing a DR Test Script with 40 other people.

I........DON'T......................WANNA...................GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............................................
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

Got you beat man. I'm about to spend the next hour reviewing a DR Test Script with 40 other people.

I........DON'T......................WANNA...................GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............................................
wow... that sound pretty dry... Def got me beat...
I was going to say I'm preparing a doc on rotating encryption keys and thats boring... But an hour reviewing scripts... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

>> In tech you have to stay on top of the game. You have to be familiar with new technology, watch the markets, read blogs, be an activist. At least those are my thoughts when it comes to being successful in tech and in the general job market.

Screw that. So you can read about your job going bye bye?

Nope.

In this biz the ones who are safe and making more than most lawyers are the ones who know their hardware. If you can pluck a card out of a bin, plug it on to a PCI bus, hook up a bus anayzer, identify the card architecture and be able to dump out the contents of the card registers then you are sitting pretty. This type of stuff you won't be doing while sipping a latte in Starbucks while pecking at your laptop.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

DMC Freeride wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote: Acutally I'm a professional at everything i do...

wow... that sound pretty dry... Def got me beat...
I was going to say I'm preparing a doc on rotating encryption keys and thats boring... But an hour reviewing scripts... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
zzzzzzzz is exactly what I did. Too bad it was right when they asked me
the one question I was there to answer. Embarassing.........
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:

Meh...less then a month and I won't be at SAP anymore. The new shop has Oracle ERP...should be interesting...out of all the people I interviewed with, only the manager liked Oracle, everyone else liked SAP.

SSO is nice...at least in the SAP environment :D
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

yeti wrote: >> In tech you have to stay on top of the game. You have to be familiar with new technology, watch the markets, read blogs, be an activist. At least those are my thoughts when it comes to being successful in tech and in the general job market.

Screw that. So you can read about your job going bye bye?
No, not so you can watch your job going bye-bye. So you can be aware of new market trends, identify software that is being released that may or may not impact you or your organization, perhaps be knowledgable to a degree that you may be fired ... allowing you to find other options or make career moves. I could go on, but you shouldn't simply work in tech in a dark closest and not be aware of what's going on around you. Tech is a dynamic environment, if you fall behind the fold, your easily dismissed.
yeti wrote: In this biz the ones who are safe and making more than most lawyers are the ones who know their hardware. If you can pluck a card out of a bin, plug it on to a PCI bus, hook up a bus anayzer, identify the card architecture and be able to dump out the contents of the card registers then you are sitting pretty. This type of stuff you won't be doing while sipping a latte in Starbucks while pecking at your laptop.
"This biz"? Is this what you do for a living? I don't know many jobs around that pay you that much doing something that seems so simple on the surface.