I wish I were still in the missile defense biz

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
yeti
Powderhound

I wish I were still in the missile defense biz

Post by yeti »

Exciting times are afoot. Oh well - we are going to see if my code is as good as I think it is in the coming days.

Man I wish I were going to be in Hawaii for this!
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Are you referring to shooting down the failing spy satellite?

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... o_a_friend
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I was hearing about that on the news this morning. The alleged purpose in shooting down the satellite is the hydrazine that's on board as fuel. If the satellite were to crash to earth and the hydrazine were to survive reentry and be spewed around, that could be a problem. Of course, the hydrazine would most probably burn up in the atmosphere and do no harm. And, of course, the satellite shoot would (if successful) cause the same effect by disbursing the hydrazine into the atmosphere. The real reason(s) for taking the shoot more probably are:

1. The satellite is relatively new and, if it were to crash on land and the guts could be recovered, certain secret capabilities might be learned by the recovering country.

2. We just want to test our shoot down capabilities in a real world environment.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I thought they were gonna shoot it down before re-entry...
ImageImageImageImage
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Yes - the ASAT shot is what I am referring to. The term "ASAT" (anti satellite) was officially banned from use while I was on that effort.

Some of my former coworkers bugged out for Kauai or Maui a few days ago. It will be interesting to sit down with them and have a beer when they get back.

Wierdly, much of this is classified above their level, so they will have to sit out the actual shot - when the screens "go orange" they have to leave the room. I am now cleared high enough for the event, but since I am no longer tasked under that project I don't have a need to know and am locked out completely. Go figure. The joys of compartmentalization.

Oh well, well find out if my code works either way.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

yeti wrote:Yes - the ASAT shot is what I am referring to. The term "ASAT" (anti satellite) was officially banned from use while I was on that effort.
Thought it was, this shot has got a lot of countries panties all in a wad. I think the Russian Bombers buzzing a US aircraft carrier last week was a little demo on how pissed they are. Don't know what the big deal is China already shot down one of their satellite, but of course they blew up in orbit and now the derbies is endangering low orbit satellites. That why the US plans to blow it up in the atmosphere, it's all about safety.....and to demonstrate we have the ability to shoot down missiles.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage