Where to stay? Young/Fun/Close/Hot Tub/Nice/Cozy

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

TobyWonder
Beginner On Rentals

Where to stay? Young/Fun/Close/Hot Tub/Nice/Cozy

Post by TobyWonder »

Hoping to make my first stop to Killington on Presidents day, to surprise my GF. Will be going with another couple. This is only my 2nd time skiing so I apologize for any botched vernacular:

We had stayed at Green Mountain Inn last year in Stowe, which was great. I would like to recreate the experience in Killington -- but am finding it tough.

Trying to find a place that's reasonably priced (at most $250/night), is a good value at that price, has a hot tub, is not too small/intimate, better suited for young couples/singles -- and here is a catch.. something that is still close to the mountain/access road. I showed the other couple the Vermont Inn website and was told that it was too intimate/far away from the mountain for their liking. We are also in our mid/late 20s.

Is there a "go-to" place that fits this criteria? I'm finding that reviews of places like Contina etc. are very very mixed. I'm additionally finding some other places, but they are smaller and not very close to the mountaintop.

I did read in another message posted to TripAdvisor that Killington may not be the place to get accomodations close to the mountain.. and that Stowe/Sugarbush are much better for that. I'm not sure if that is true etc. (since I don't know anything) but perhaps one of you agree and so this is a fools errand?

Thanks for any help!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Where to stay? Young/Fun/Close/Hot Tub/Nice/Cozy

Post by Bubba »

North Star
Summit Lodge
Mountain Inn
Cascades Lodge

Condos might give you an affordable option as well.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

The Cortina is closed. They had a Legionnaires Disease problem and I imagine the bank owns it now with no prospects for unloading it.

The nicest hotel on the upper part of the Access Road is the Inn of the Six Mountains. It was built in the late-1980's which, believe it or not, makes it the newest hotel structure on the Access Road. Their room rate is $264 for Standard-King for a holiday weekend. It's the only steel frame and poured concrete hotel so the rooms are quiet. ~100 rooms. Full service. Indoor & outdoor pools. Hot tubs. Spa.
KMartman
Slalom Racer

Post by KMartman »

The Inn at Long Trail!!!!!!

Fun. Good bar, nice hot tub, B&B "feel". quaint. Across from Pico. Not too spendy and youll get breakfast and dinner (both exceptional) included (least it was that way a couple years back).

Good luck!

M
thejet61
Blue Chatterbox

Post by thejet61 »

All that have been mentioned are great, just stay away from chalet killington. water is bad there and the creatures in the walls keep you up at night. :P
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

Geoff wrote: It was built in the late-1980's which, believe it or not, makes it the newest hotel structure on the Access Road. .... It's the only steel frame and poured concrete hotel ...

Wouldn't that be the Red Roof Inn on the access road - which used to Green Mountain College campus ?
people with the snobords smokes the funystuffs
thejet61
Blue Chatterbox

Post by thejet61 »

MTN .GREEN RESORT
ask for jake /joe and tell them i sent you ask for a discount! :-)
TobyWonder
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TobyWonder »

what I've found is a lot of the good places/rooms are sold out, and ALL the remaining ones want $300/night..even for places with pretty negative reviews. For $300/night its tough to digest even a mediocore place..

Vermont Inn: sold out
Birch Ridge: sold out
North Star Inn: soldout
Inn at Long Trail: $300/night
Cascades: tbd, but only double-double rooms left

Inn of Six Mountains, availability but real bad TripAdvisor reviews (generally of the theme facilities are great like you mentioned, but hotel management is bad)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... rmont.html

Mountain Inn, pretty poor reviews as well
$300/night
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... rmont.html

Summit Lodge
$300/night
Mixed reviews
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... .html#TOPC
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

what about edelweis? pico killington motor inn?? mendon mt. orchards?? turn of the river lodge?

or just try rutland. holiday inn is a pretty good deal.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Pres weekend is gonna be tough. Might have to go with Rutland.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
richm20
Bumper

Post by richm20 »

Best Wastern in Mendon. 1 or 2 bedroom condos that are great! Its a hike to K (5-10 min to the access rd) 2 min to Pico.
Great Place!
KMartman
Slalom Racer

Post by KMartman »

TobyWonder wrote:what I've found is a lot of the good places/rooms are sold out, and ALL the remaining ones want $300/night..even for places with pretty negative reviews. For $300/night its tough to digest even a mediocore place..

Vermont Inn: sold out
Birch Ridge: sold out
North Star Inn: soldout
Inn at Long Trail: $300/night
Cascades: tbd, but only double-double rooms left

Inn of Six Mountains, availability but real bad TripAdvisor reviews (generally of the theme facilities are great like you mentioned, but hotel management is bad)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... rmont.html

Mountain Inn, pretty poor reviews as well
$300/night
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... rmont.html

Summit Lodge
$300/night
Mixed reviews
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... .html#TOPC
The $300/night at the Inn at Long Trail will get you a top notch breakfast and dinner....truly its great food, great atmosphere and centrally located.
Clutch
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Clutch »

For two rooms you are looking at $600 a night and for that you could probably find a nice condo to rent. (They'll all have three night minimum stays for that weekend though)

Vacation Rentals By Owner
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/vermont#4558

http://www.vrbo.com/214868#rates
Ahatala25
Green Skidder

Post by Ahatala25 »

Mountain Sports inn
Max
wasupersoaker
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wasupersoaker »

inn of the six mountains is a great place to stay. i got married there 6 years ago. the majority of our guests stayed there and had no complaints. lots of us partied the night before and the night of our wedding. its close enough to the bars and restaurants to just walk. i would stay there if you want to go out for dinner and then party.