Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madvillain
Bumper
Location: The middle of nowhere - VT Tech; Randolph Center, VT

More Hiking - Friday Afternoon TR w/ Pics

Post by madvillain »

Last day of college was yesterday = more skiing. :mrgreen:

Snow is still awesome out there. From Launch Pad down to the base there is top-to-bottom coverage. There's one short 20ft section on L SuperS about 1.5ft wide, as long as you don't turn, you're fine...

Both me and John hiked up to Launch Pad. There were several other hikers besides us out there this afternoon (about 8 ). The sun come out of the clouds occasionally and for a minute I felt some drizzle.

BTW, John collected some cans under the lift today.

And, if anyone's hiking tomorrow...hope u have an awesome time.

John hiking up

Me in my Hawaiian shirt...

The sun could be seen occasionally...the rest of the hike up/ski down was cloudy

John having an awesome time...

My turn to ski... :mrgreen:

Plenty of coverage on SuperS L :D :D
"The sun is bright and the powder bitchin'!"
-Unknown Dude
:
::
:::
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: More Hiking - Friday Afternoon TR w/ Pics

Post by Mister Moose »

madvillain wrote:Last day of college was yesterday = more skiing. :mrgreen:

Snow is still awesome out there.
Take down those obviously fake and doctored photos immediately. Skiing Snow has already told us it is not possible to ski Superstar.

Nice job.
madvillain
Bumper

Post by madvillain »

Mister Moose wrote:

Take down those obviously fake and doctored photos immediately. Skiing Snow has already told us it is not possible to ski Superstar.

Nice job.
Thanks man...

Photoshop is the best invention ever!... :wink: :lol:
-Unknown Dude
:
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

skiingsnow in 3..2..1..
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

madvillain wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

Nice job.
Thanks man...

I think you should challenge skippee to a dual on the deck of KBL that could be broadcast via the webcam.
madvillain
Bumper

Post by madvillain »

Nevada West wrote:
madvillain wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

Nice job.
Thanks man...

I think you should challenge skippee to a dual on the deck of KBL that could be broadcast via the webcam.
Swordfight? :wink:
-Unknown Dude
:
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

madvillain wrote:
Nevada West wrote:
madvillain wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

Nice job.
Thanks man...

Swordfight? :wink:
I'll leave it up to you.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Mister Moose wrote:

Skiingsnow who??? I certainly never said you couldn't ski Superstar. I did say, however, that there is not top to bottom coverage.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

You and your Dad have some mighty fine memories going on there :banana: :banana: :cool
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

skiingsnow wrote:I did say, however, that there is not top to bottom coverage.
Superstar photoshopped late in the day on 5/8/2009.

Looking up to the SS headwall with a photoshopped pooch.

Another view looking uphill.

I came down around 7:00 pm and there were at least 3 others still on the hill (not including dogs). Despite the nearly non-stop r*in during the week, the snow has held up quite well – worth the walk this weekend.
madvillain
Bumper

Post by madvillain »

MrsG wrote:You and your Dad have some mighty fine memories going on there :banana: :banana: :cool
Yep, we're gonna be out hiking tomorrow, hopefully 1 run in the morning and 1 during the afternoon. I need a few more ski days under my belt this season (69 so far) before the snow melts.
-Unknown Dude
:
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiingsnow wrote:
Skiingsnow who??? I certainly never said you couldn't ski Superstar. I did say, however, that there is not top to bottom coverage.
Wrong. You said there isn't enough snow to open for another weekend. You said there wasn't enough snow to provide for top to bottom coverage. If this was Sugarbush, the lift would be spinning tomorrow.

There is top to bottom coverage in that only one hour in a groomer would be more than enough to connect those dots with one groomer wide paths and give you top to bottom skiing with likely some walking required to and from the lift.
skiingsnow wrote: I am talking about them not having the snow to open another weekend, as others have said they do.
skiingsnow wrote:There's not enough snow to provide top to bottom coverage on Superstar
You have no skiing soul.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Mister Moose wrote:
skiingsnow wrote:
Wrong. you said there isn't enough snow to open for another weekend. If this was Sugarbush, the lift would be spinning tomorrow.

There is top to bottom coverage in that only one hour in a groomer would be more than enough to connect those dots with one groomer wide paths and give you top to bottom skiing with likely some walking required to and from the lift.
skiingsnow wrote: I am talking about them not having the snow to open another weekend, as others have said they do.
skiingsnow wrote:There's not enough snow to provide top to bottom coverage on Superstar
You have no skiing soul.
Huh??

Another huh, Sugarbush keeps their more southen facing terrain open into May rather than their more northern facing terrain. Sugarbush closed a ton of terrain with wall to wall coverage this season, and that stuff may still be skiable today. . . . Sugarbush does not do what it takes to stay open as long as possible. . . If it's not skiable today southern or northern facing terrain, well then, THEY DIDN'T MAKE ENOUGH SNOW. Killington doesn't even try and they still have tons of snow northern and southern facing terrain. And Sugarbush is even further north and gets more snow.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Good job skiing that snow!!!! Thanks for the pics!

Just had a thunderstorm go through, heavy downpours and I believe small hail as well, and there's more on the way.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiingsnow wrote:
Huh??

Another huh, Sugarbush keeps their more southen facing terrain open into May rather than their more northern facing terrain. Sugarbush closed a ton of terrain with wall to wall coverage this season, and that stuff may still be skiable today. . . . Sugarbush does not do what it takes to stay open as long as possible. . . If it's not skiable today southern or northern facing terrain, well then, THEY DIDN'T MAKE ENOUGH SNOW. Killington doesn't even try and they still have tons of snow northern and southern facing terrain. And Sugarbush is even further north and gets more snow.
You never addressed your own inaccuracies, only ranted on Sugarbush.

Sugarbush had nothing left on parts of Steins, and certainly no runout (Coffee Run) after last Sunday. What it sounds like you are addressing is there was still snow on Mt Ellen when they closed that area. Sort of like snow being still on Pico when they closed it weeks ahead of Mt Ellen. I doubt there is enough snow down low on Mt Ellen, but I haven't been up there.

The point is there IS enough snow on Superstar. Today. Of course anyone north of Okemo would have better coverage today if they had made more snow on their north facing slopes. That's stating the obvious. Killington, who basks in the best set up in Vermont for late season skiing, who doesn't need to keep long sun rotted runouts to keep Superstar going, closes before what snow they did make on the limited budget available is gone.

The difference is this:

Sugarbush: If it hasn't melted yet, and we can cobble together a run even with some walking, we're spinning the lift.

Jay: "We're operating because we like to ski. And in all honesty, we want to savor every last drop as much as you do. We owe it to [our passholders] to push as hard as we can."
http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/vi ... =1&t=26602

Killington: It's a new pay period and its our cast in stone forced march furlough. We're outa here.

These are the facts, and they are undisputed.