Technical Ski Advice?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Technical Ski Advice?

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but here goes.
I'm pretty new to the terrain park (skiier). Over last season I got over my fear of having enough speed to really launch in the air to clear the flat portion of the jump. Somehow though, even when I'm going pretty fast I never seem to clear it.
I feel like im supposed to be pushing off of the jump somehow to get up higher, but I'm having some trouble.
Any tips?
All you've got to do is go that way, really really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
shortski
Site Admin

Re: Technical Ski Advice?

Post by shortski »

As you come into the ramp let your skis/board compress your legs, ( feel the increase in angle), as you come to the lip of the jump release the compression, ( hard to explain not right at the lip but just before it) I think its called a pre-jump.

Practice makes perfect, first said by a orthopedic surgeon.
mondeo
Blue Chatterbox

Post by mondeo »

shortski wrote:As you come into the ramp let your skis/board compress your legs, ( feel the increase in angle), as you come to the lip of the jump release the compression, ( hard to explain not right at the lip but just before it) I think its called a pre-jump.

Practice makes perfect, first said by a orthopedic surgeon.
Don't need to compress your legs, that was my problem for a while. Creates excess motion, and overall makes things unsmooth. What you do want is to hold your posture up the jump, and extend to essentially stand straight up as your going off the lip. This is the pop off the jump, it's more for mid air balance and landing properly than height; the pop puts a very slight amount of rotation, which keeps you out of the back seat on landing. Also, plant your poles as you're taking off (4 point take off) and landing (4 point landing,) also for balance. Before you try anything, just work on these things and spread your arms parallel to the ground mid air (T-set.) It will get your form clean in the air, make you more comfortable, and give you a better starting point for everything else.

As far as why you're not clearing the knuckle if you have the speed, if you're doing what Shortski suggests and have your timing off or are still somewhat nervous, you may be compressing your legs as you're crossing the lip and absorbing the jump. This will give you much less height, and consequently not enough distance to clear the knuckle.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

OlympiaGirl wrote:Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but here goes.
I'm pretty new to the terrain park (skiier). Over last season I got over my fear of having enough speed to really launch in the air to clear the flat portion of the jump. Somehow though, even when I'm going pretty fast I never seem to clear it.
I feel like im supposed to be pushing off of the jump somehow to get up higher, but I'm having some trouble.
Any tips?

Cute avatar . . Is that you ?
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Crock540
Bumper

Post by Crock540 »

Go faster than you think you should.
If you over-shoot, slow it down. You'll either figure it out after a few slams, or realize that park skiing isn't your bag.
~Crock

There are things worse than death,

and I can do all of them.
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Hey guys, I'll try to release/ pop of more as I go over today, along with picking up more speed.

As for this not being my thing? I WILL get the hang of it!!!
Thanks for all the advice!
All you've got to do is go that way, really really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
OlympiaGirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by OlympiaGirl »

Thank you all - the advice really helped! I'm getting much more air now and clearing the knuckle!