Damage at K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

kbroderick
Green Skidder

Re: Damage at K

Post by kbroderick »

So the town road crew and local contractors have been hard at work; the progress on Rt. 4 by River Road is amazing.

Compare that to yesterday, I'd not have thought it possible. I'm happy to think that we'll have regular road access well before I run out of groceries.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I was in the middle of posting an update and lost connection. Anyway, Mosher has done great work on the section of 4 from River Road to Goodro and in redirecting the water flow. Town is holding spaghetti supper at 6:00 and an informational meeting at 7:00 at the elementary school.

Meanwhile, the resort is already working on cleanup at Snowshed and has dirt in the Ramshead parking lot to start repairs. Couple of backhoes are working on brook coming down from KBL to Ramshead. Resort problems are minimal compared to surrounding area. Nothing to worry about.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
hunterdon
Green Skidder

Post by hunterdon »

Thanks, Bubba. If you go to the informational meeting, pls post the info. I need to access my home in Pittsfield! I want to come up ASAP!
Bubba wrote:I was in the middle of posting an update and lost connection. Anyway, Mosher has done great work on the section of 4 from River Road to Goodro and in redirecting the water flow. Town is holding spaghetti supper at 6:00 and an informational meeting at 7:00 at the elementary school.

Meanwhile, the resort is already working on cleanup at Snowshed and has dirt in the Ramshead parking lot to start repairs. Couple of backhoes are working on brook coming down from KBL to Ramshead. Resort problems are minimal compared to surrounding area. Nothing to worry about.
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

Jim wrote:anyone know what the damage is like in plymouth...hawk area?
100 north of Hawk. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I hear Plymouth is very hard hit, a landslide near Salt Ash, all bridges out on 100A through the notch.
TheLurker
Bumper

OPTION AVAILABLE FOR LEAVING KILLINGTON

Post by TheLurker »

OPTION AVAILABLE FOR LEAVING KILLINGTON
by Killington Resort on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 5:54pm

The Town of Killington command center has identified with the help of state and local police an access route out of Killington towards Bridgewater, at which point cars will be able to access Interstate 89.

Note that this route is one-lane only and will be slow moving as police assist all vehicles. This route will be open only during the following hours as travel in the dark is not advised. The road will be closed again outside of the following hours.

August 30, 2011: 6 - 7 pm

August 31, 2011: 8 am - 10 am

Anyone wishing to leave town should proceed directly down the Killington Access Road. All cars will be directed to make a right turn at the bottom of the road and proceed towards Bridgewater.
This is a one-way route and cars will not be allowed to return to Killington until further notice.
Only Rt. 4 is open - side roads are not advisable.
Obstacles still remain in road and drivers are advised to drive at their own risk.
Drivers should not attempt this route after dark and are reminded the route will reopen from 8 - 10 am on August 31.
chewbacca
Black Carver

Post by chewbacca »

kbroderick wrote:So the town road crew and local contractors have been hard at work; the progress on Rt. 4 by River Road is amazing.

Compare that to yesterday, I'd not have thought it possible. I'm happy to think that we'll have regular road access well before I run out of groceries.
Town crew? I was there and it was nearly all Mosher with an excavator doing the the work early Monday morning clearing out the bridges jammed with the crumpled white house and trees and rocks. Started at 5AM and kept adding front end loaders and a bulldozer and kept going until dark. Mosher really grabbed the bull by the horns and got to work I 'm amazed at how much they got done as of 2PM.
stegsg
Beginner On Rentals

Post by stegsg »

As a condo owner i'm curious, does anyone know how Trail Creek condo looks?

Thanks
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

stegsg wrote:As a condo owner i'm curious, does anyone know how Trail Creek condo looks?

Thanks
Given an active poster here is a full time resident at Trail Creek and he has not indicated any damage. I'd say it's safe to assume you're OK.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
chewbacca
Black Carver

Post by chewbacca »

On Rt4 what started off as fast running water down Roaring Brook changed as rocks, boulders,mud and trees suddenly barreled down Roaring Brook crushing the white house and sent it is pieces into the culver under Rt 4 and jamming the flow so the flow took the next past of least resistence to the right of Rt 4 going east.

Then there was more boulders, rocks, mud, dirt and trees and less water--but the debris was moving at a pyroplastic speeds and it was more like landslide than anything I ever saw. I'll post a couple pic's:
Attachments
000_0223.jpg
000_0223.jpg (553.19 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
chewbacca
Black Carver

Post by chewbacca »

Monday morning
Attachments
000_0241.jpg
000_0241.jpg (923.12 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

chewbacca wrote:Monday morning
Kokopelli looks a little beat up. Was that from the storm or just typical New England weathering on the siding?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

stegsg wrote:As a condo owner i'm curious, does anyone know how Trail Creek condo looks?

Thanks
TC is fine. Power came back around 11:00.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

chewbacca wrote:
kbroderick wrote:So the town road crew and local contractors have been hard at work; the progress on Rt. 4 by River Road is amazing.

Town crew? I was there and it was nearly all Mosher with an excavator doing the the work early Monday morning clearing out the bridges jammed with the crumpled white house and trees and rocks. Started at 5AM and kept adding front end loaders and a bulldozer and kept going until dark. Mosher really grabbed the bull by the horns and got to work I 'm amazed at how much they got done as of 2PM.
Awesome work! Can't believe how much they've done! Great job Mosher!
BigAirSkier1580
Bumper

Post by BigAirSkier1580 »

Work crews are doing amazing work. Obviously the streams need to be rebuilt, but they are really making it happen out there.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

chewbacca wrote:On Rt4 what started off as fast running water down Roaring Brook changed as rocks, boulders,mud and trees suddenly barreled down Roaring Brook crushing the white house and sent it is pieces into the culver under Rt 4 and jamming the flow so the flow took the next past of least resistence to the right of Rt 4 going east.

Then there was more boulders, rocks, mud, dirt and trees and less water--but the debris was moving at a pyroplastic speeds and it was more like landslide than anything I ever saw. I'll post a couple pic's:
Here is the house mid destruction. That photo of the torrent across Rte 4 is amazing. I'm running out of superlatives.
Attachments
rte 4 house.jpg
rte 4 house.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 992 times