Travel from Lake George/Whitehall to Stowe possible?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Johnson
Beginner On Rentals

Travel from Lake George/Whitehall to Stowe possible?

Post by Johnson »

Crazy pictures from K. Luckily I think our place on Telefon Trail is in good shape judging from the other thread, but haven't actually had any confirmation. Best wishes to those who weren't as lucky.

I'm supposed to be attending a wedding in Stowe this weekend and will be traveling from the Lake George/Whitehall area. I've checked the state websites and it seems to be possible but not sure how accurate those are with the whole state in crisis mode.

Any input we be much appreciated.

Here is the route we normally would take:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clien ... CBYQ9w8wAA

Thanks
BigAirSkier1580
Bumper

Re: Travel from Lake George/Whitehall to Stowe possible?

Post by BigAirSkier1580 »

I can't speak for NY, but someone else might be able to.

Once in VT, Route 4 to Rutland is open, and you can take Route 7 North to Burlington. There is a detour in Brandon, but as long as you are a passenger car, it's passable. Then in Burlington, it is possible to get to Stowe from Burlington without problem.

Can anyone chime in on Lake George?
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

NYS DOT lists no road closures of highways in the area, and they have been listing them for all the NYS State Routes that are flooded, so I would probably trust it. Local lake george newspaper websites don't have much mention of road closures, which makes me think there aren't any.

87 is open the entire way up it appears as well if you're coming from NYC/NJ.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Your normal route coming from NY would, I assume, be 149 - 4 - 22A - 7 - 189 - Stowe. I've heard someone say 149 has issues but I don't know anything definite. If 149 is out you can still get off the Northway at Exit 17 and get to 4 to Ft. Ann, etc. I'm not sure either about 22A but I don't recall hearing anything specific mentioned about washouts, etc. but you could check 511 for that info. Once you get north toward Vergennes, I don't believe there are many problems from there all the way to Stowe.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BRSKIS
Beginner On Rentals

Post by BRSKIS »

I traveled on Rte 149 and Route 4 to access Rutland from Lake George on Monday to check on our property. Everything was open with no problems or delays.
SkiPutt
Slalom Racer

Post by SkiPutt »

BRSKIS wrote:I traveled on Rte 149 and Route 4 to access Rutland from Lake George on Monday to check on our property. Everything was open with no problems or delays.
Great news, heading that way tomorrow.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

SkiPutt wrote:
BRSKIS wrote:I traveled on Rte 149 and Route 4 to access Rutland from Lake George on Monday to check on our property. Everything was open with no problems or delays.
You guys beeeeeeeeeeeeee careful . . . OK :wink:
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

SkiPutt wrote:
Same here. Thanks.
Johnson
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Johnson »

Thanks for the help guys!