Damage at K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hunterdon
Green Skidder

Re: Damage at K

Post by hunterdon »

johnny the jibber wrote:Pittsfield and Rochester have electricity!
Wow! How did you hear? I'm dying to get into Pittsfield to check my place out and volunteer to do... anything I can!
JohnAdam
Blue Chatterbox

Post by JohnAdam »

Power came on at our house in Pittsfield at 4:10PM.
Route 100 at the south end of the bridge at the town garage or Clear River Inn was mainly dirt fill.
It was opened to traffic around 10:25 on 8/31. The fill could be subject to new washouts if we get heavy r*in.
You can get into Pittsfield from the south, although Rt 100 from Killington is one lane in many places.
The north end of Pittsfield at Gurnsey Hollow has a 20' deep/ 30' wide gap in Rt 100 which is currently impassable.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Pics from the last few days, I will not post any that have already been shown multiple times (shortski's house, rt 4 near goodro lumber and so on)

Bridgewater was hit hard with many homes washed away entirely, destroyed, or damaged, roads severely damaged including many town roads, bridges out and so on.... Days with no power, internet, phone, or even cell phones for many (all of the above for me).... Cvps still reporting 47 homes/businesses in Bridgewater without power... All ways in/out of Bridgewater were closed for the public Sunday, same with Monday (all though a few were allowed in or out to Woodstock on rt4 which I had found out later) with limited options starting on Tuesday and ever since. The amount and type of stuff floating down the river was incredible.

Bridgewater Corners, water got a bit higher than this but the home didn't get any damage, garage flooded along with many other things in the yard...

Bridge near the Bridgewater Mill Mall with water hitting it and going over the top of the bridge

Water rose very high and quickly, this near the bridge next to the Bridgewater Mill Mall

The Bridgewater Firehouse flooding with the bridge just behind the building on the right

A tree on the powerlines with a small fire also next to the bridge near the Bridgewater Mill Mall

The Bridgewater Ball Park flooding

Many homes very close to being flooded and/or washed away in the village of Bridgewater

Many homes very close to being flooded and/or washed away in the village of Bridgewater

This home very close to being completely flooded on the Bridgewater Center Road, the basement did get flooded but the house made it... Guy had just dropped his flood insurance last year because he didn't think he needed it as he had not had any close calls...

Water rushing down the hill on the left filling this home in Bridgewater with water with 4 adults and 2 young kids inside, home has extensive damage, an rv also there was under 7+ ft of water, house just past this one also must have had some water damage.

Same location as above where that water rushed accross rt4 and took part of it with it.

A home went down the river here in Bridgewater due to the water rushing accross the road from right to left, which it still was well after the storm ended.

Same location as above, a portion of the guys home stuck at the bridge just feet from where it once stood.

Water running down rt4 in Bridgewater in many places, not too bad here, much worse than this in areas....

Many areas of rt4 damaged in Bridgewater, with MANY other roads and bridges in town badly damaged/destroyed as well.

West Bridgewater, Blackies parking lot a river, rt4 damaged, some buildings as well...

West Bridgewater

West Bridgewater

West Bridgewater

Rt100A just outside of Bridgewater in Plymouth

Helicopters over Bridgewater Village

Rt4 in West Woodstock
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

As always, nice pics skiingsnow. Glad to see you came through the storm okay.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

rogman wrote:As always, nice pics skiingsnow. Glad to see you came through the storm okay.
Agreed. Thanks for checking in and sharing your pics.
TeleTim
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TeleTim »

SS do you need anything? I might be comming your way on Sat and could bring you some supplies. I will have some time so I could give you a hand with whatever if you need one. Give me a call...603/448/4128

Tim Gilbert
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Other ski areas with damage:

1. Loon: lost it's main bridge over the Pemi, tempoary bridge to be built.
2. Sugarloaf: Lost 2 bridges on Rt 27, could get there from here.
3. Okemo
4. Mt Snow/ Wilmington

Any others?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

TeleTim wrote:SS do you need anything? I might be comming your way on Sat and could bring you some supplies. I will have some time so I could give you a hand with whatever if you need one. Give me a call...603/448/4128

Tim Gilbert
Thanks so much Tim, my place came through just fine and we got a generator to save most of the food and with power back things are back to normal at my place, but there are a lot of other people that could use some help in the area... There are local restaurants providing food to folks along with plenty of mre's for anyone that needs them, also a lot of water is available now...
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

SS, is it possible to get up 100A from the Bridgewater Corners end yet? The Plymouth Notch is supposedly blocked by a massive landslide, so evidently you can't get in from that end even if you could get down 100 from Rt 4. I would like to get to the Coolidge Birthplace area and re-supply my family that live uphill from there, generator fuel and fresh food must be getting low by now, but not much word on the progress of 100A.
rubigirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by rubigirl »

The best way to bring supplies anywhere right now is by ATV. Just about everywhere is passable by ATV or dirt bike. A well set up jeep can get to a lot of places too but bigger 4x4s have issues sneaking through tight trails. Remember Vermont has hundreds of miles of unmaintained roads and these roads are our God send right now.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

The resort finally admits that a disaster occured . . Pics on website . .

"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

ME2VTSkier wrote:SS, is it possible to get up 100A from the Bridgewater Corners end yet? The Plymouth Notch is supposedly blocked by a massive landslide, so evidently you can't get in from that end even if you could get down 100 from Rt 4. I would like to get to the Coolidge Birthplace area and re-supply my family that live uphill from there, generator fuel and fresh food must be getting low by now, but not much word on the progress of 100A.
Road is still closed at the same location, about 1 mile into Plymouth. It appears foot traffic may be possible however I am not sure, I only went as far as the sign and cones... I know that the couple who live at and own the Farmbrook Motel in Plymouth were able to get down to Bridgewater Village a couple of days ago, they had to hike through the woods and up the mountain to get out, they said they are not reopening their motel until next year...

New pics from this morning

Rt100A 1 mile into Plymouth from Bridgewater

Areas on or just off from Rt100A in Bridgewater:

Rerouting the river to an area that wasn't part of the river in the past, farther away from rt4, I do not know if it is temporary or not, I didn't see any repairs that needed the river to be rerouted in this location, it looked like it wasn't temporary...
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

ME2VTSkier wrote:SS, is it possible to get up 100A from the Bridgewater Corners end yet? The Plymouth Notch is supposedly blocked by a massive landslide, so evidently you can't get in from that end even if you could get down 100 from Rt 4. I would like to get to the Coolidge Birthplace area and re-supply my family that live uphill from there, generator fuel and fresh food must be getting low by now, but not much word on the progress of 100A.
Plymouth has instituted a residen only policy for rt 100 & 100A for travel outside of public road opening. Rt100a not open from end to end but is accessible from 100 pn one end and rt4 pn the other. Stop by or call the town for a permit.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

shortski wrote:
Plymouth has instituted a residen only policy for rt 100 & 100A for travel outside of public road opening. Rt100a not open from end to end but is accessible from 100 pn one end and rt4 pn the other. Stop by or call the town for a permit.
I'll call before I leave Maine, I think it's going to be hard to stop by theTown Hall from the Queechee direction.

On another note... you guys are about to receive a lot of help from your neighboring Northern NewEnglanders. Maine Army National Guard deploying the 262nd Co from Belfast, and 185th Co from Caribou, both engineers/heavy equipment Companies... and probably others as well. I have friends and family in both units, and they have been told they will be there for a minimum of 15 days.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
shortski wrote:
I'll call before I leave Maine, I think it's going to be hard to stop by theTown Hall from the Queechee direction.

On another note... you guys are about to receive a lot of help from your neighboring Northern NewEnglanders. Maine Army National Guard deploying the 262nd Co from Belfast, and 185th Co from Caribou, both engineers/heavy equipment Companies... and probably others as well. I have friends and family in both units, and they have been told they will be there for a minimum of 15 days.
Hot damn keep e'm coming all the progress so for is local and states working together the overweight 300000000 ton federal gorilla is still having trouble getting out of his easy chair.