Snow making done for a bit

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Snow making done for a bit

Post by rogman »

According to a Chris Nyberg tweet, snow making is done for a bit due to the warmer temperatures. He also indicated that there is enough snow already laid down to last for several weeks.

Still a bit early in the season to attempt expansion out of the North Ridge, and there is plenty of white stuff on the ground for the immediate future. A sensible call.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Snow making done for a bit

Post by Highway Star »

rogman wrote:According to a Chris Nyberg tweet, snow making is done for a bit due to the warmer temperatures. He also indicated that there is enough snow already laid down to last for several weeks.

Still a bit early in the season to attempt expansion out of the North Ridge, and there is plenty of white stuff on the ground for the immediate future. A sensible call.
IMHO, we'll see one more round in good snowmaking weather to build base in the north ridge, either this weekend or next week, then an expansion to top to bottom before thanksgiving weekend.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
richm20
Bumper

Post by richm20 »

Looks like a real cold spell comes in mid month.
bonk2boy
Green Skidder

Post by bonk2boy »

Done for a bit as in no snowmaking until thurs night? Chance of snow thurs night with a low of 24 then Friday is supposed to be bitter cold according to nws high of 41 and low of 19 (that's not at the peak that's just when you put in killington forecast on the noaa site - not sure what elevation that is...) but with saturday slated only for a high of 43, Friday night conditions could be too good for them to pass up - ie maybe the difference between variable machine regroomed vs packed powder weekend surface. Packed powder sells lift tickets to us recreationals :D so If NOAA forecast holds up I predict they fire up the guns again before the weekend even with the mild Sunday and Monday forecast...
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

bonk2boy wrote:Done for a bit as in no snowmaking until thurs night? Chance of snow thurs night with a low of 24 then Friday is supposed to be bitter cold according to nws high of 41 and low of 19 (that's not at the peak that's just when you put in killington forecast on the noaa site - not sure what elevation that is...) but with saturday slated only for a high of 43, Friday night conditions could be too good for them to pass up - ie maybe the difference between variable machine regroomed vs packed powder weekend surface. Packed powder sells lift tickets to us recreationals :D so If NOAA forecast holds up I predict they fire up the guns again before the weekend even with the mild Sunday and Monday forecast...
When you type in Killington, VT is goes to the town area on Rt. 4. Drag that position up the mountain and it will lock onto Skye Peak (Bear Mountain) at about 3500 feet. Usually there is a big difference between those locations. Why it will not allow you to monitor Killington Peak I no understand.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

Dr. NO wrote:
bonk2boy wrote:Done for a bit as in no snowmaking until thurs night? Chance of snow thurs night with a low of 24 then Friday is supposed to be bitter cold according to nws high of 41 and low of 19 (that's not at the peak that's just when you put in killington forecast on the noaa site - not sure what elevation that is...) but with saturday slated only for a high of 43, Friday night conditions could be too good for them to pass up - ie maybe the difference between variable machine regroomed vs packed powder weekend surface. Packed powder sells lift tickets to us recreationals :D so If NOAA forecast holds up I predict they fire up the guns again before the weekend even with the mild Sunday and Monday forecast...
When you type in Killington, VT is goes to the town area on Rt. 4. Drag that position up the mountain and it will lock onto Skye Peak (Bear Mountain) at about 3500 feet. Usually there is a big difference between those locations. Why it will not allow you to monitor Killington Peak I no understand.
See my sig:

THE FORECAST FOR KILLINGTON PEAK, VERMONT AT 4,235:
LAST UPDATED AT 350 AM EDT TUE NOV 01 2011

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGH AROUND 38. SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.
.TONIGHT...CLEAR. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES AROUND 35. WEST WINDS
AROUND 10 MPH.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH AROUND 41. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

DETAILED TEMPERATURE & WIND DATA:

DATE TUE 11/01/11 WED 11/02/11
TIME (EDT) 08 11 14 17 20 23 02 05 08 11 14 17 20
TEMP (F) 32 31 32 34 36 36 36 36 36 37 38 39 41
WIND DIR SW SW SW SW W W W W W W SW SW W
WIND SPD (MPH) 12 8 8 10 9 8 10 11 10 8 11 13 14
WIND CHL (F) 23 24 25 26 29 30 29 28 29 31 31 31 33

$$
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Highway Star wrote:
rogman wrote:According to a Chris Nyberg tweet, snow making is done for a bit due to the warmer temperatures. He also indicated that there is enough snow already laid down to last for several weeks.

IMHO, we'll see one more round in good snowmaking weather to build base in the north ridge, either this weekend or next week, then an expansion to top to bottom before thanksgiving weekend.
ya think ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Dr. NO wrote:
Here's the link to the NOAA Mountain Point forecasts for VT and NY . . . You can get the weather for a lot of different peaks . .

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/point/
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
bonk2boy
Green Skidder

Post by bonk2boy »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... lon=-72.77

So to see the 7 day forecast for the mountain, where do you go from here? Sorry - I'm a little slow!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

bonk2boy wrote:http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... lon=-72.77

So to see the 7 day forecast for the mountain, where do you go from here? Sorry - I'm a little slow!
Hit the + key on the map and it will zoom in on Killington. You can see Killington Peak. Click on the Peak and you should end up at about 3418 feet. Save that link and you will go to the current 7 day forecast for that part of the mountain. Again, why it does not allow the peak I no understand. The other link provides a 2 day window with temps and forecast, but not the details like this. Unfortunately it forecasts above freezing for the next 2 days at least. :?

DUH, here is the link I use:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiadikt wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

ya think ...
Perhaps I am stating the obvious. They would like to be top to bottom by thanksgiving day, or preferably the weekend before. But not before that due to the chance of washout.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
bonk2boy
Green Skidder

Post by bonk2boy »

They won't expand down to the base, but the forecast is calling for consistent, subfreezing temperatures in the span from Thurs evening through Sunday AM. If that holds true, Friday night will be perfect snowmaking weather on the upper mountain. I would think they will take advantage of that stretch to at least build on the base they already have.
Streamtracker
Black Carver

Post by Streamtracker »

The Snow_Forecast site shows a Thurs. night to Sat. morning window for snowmaking.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Ki ... n/6day/top
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

bonk2boy wrote:They won't expand down to the base, but the forecast is calling for consistent, subfreezing temperatures in the span from Thurs evening through Sunday AM. If that holds true, Friday night will be perfect snowmaking weather on the upper mountain. I would think they will take advantage of that stretch to at least build on the base they already have.
don't see them adding much to the open terrain since they'll only have to have to resurface them after the inevitable thaw. i could see them taking advantage of any snowmaking window to perhaps expand great northern through the upper mixing bowl and maybe blowing upper mouse, bunny & killink but nothing below that.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Dr. NO wrote:
bonk2boy wrote:http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... lon=-72.77

Hit the + key on the map and it will zoom in on Killington. You can see Killington Peak. Click on the Peak and you should end up at about 3418 feet. Save that link and you will go to the current 7 day forecast for that part of the mountain. Again, why it does not allow the peak I no understand. The other link provides a 2 day window with temps and forecast, but not the details like this. Unfortunately it forecasts above freezing for the next 2 days at least. :?

DUH, here is the link I use:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text
cause the weather station is at the glades triple and not the peak...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12