Lost Skiers/Riders

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

UVSHTSTRM
Bumper

Lost Skiers/Riders

Post by UVSHTSTRM »

Anybody have any details on the 5 skiers/riders that got lost at Killington today? Apparently they were lost for 6 hours, I was just curious what area they got lost out of bounds? Found very little on the interweb other then what I mentioned above.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Lost Skiers/Riders

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Can I guess? I bet that they are in their 20’s, male, snowboarders, not from Vermont and they skied off the backside toward Wheelerville Rd. The powder was too deep and they got bogged down. Thank god all these idiots have cell phones so we can go drag their dumb asses out of the woods.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
UVSHTSTRM
Bumper

Post by UVSHTSTRM »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Can I guess? I bet that they are in their 20’s, male, snowboarders, not from Vermont and they skied off the backside toward Wheelerville Rd. The powder was too deep and they got bogged down. Thank god all these idiots have cell phones so we can go drag their dumb asses out of the woods.
The limited reports that I have heard were that they were skiers.....and this may have actually happened yesterday.
Barnibus
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Barnibus »

I didn't hear about the lost skiers but when I came out from the backside on wheelervile to the car today there was state police hanging out in the parking lot waiting for lost skiers. Apparently two people went out of bounds off of Pico and are lost back there. This was around 6pm tonight. And so it begins, the lost skiers spree. Seems to happen every year. Its DEEP out there, hopefully they find there way out but was not looking good from what the police said. EPIC
Ride, Live, Enjoy Life

www.equipify.me CHANGING THE FUTURE OF OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

Not good. Windchill in the upper single digits tonight and it could go to a negative windchill factor 7am-ish.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
SPORE

Post by SPORE »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Can I guess? I bet that they are in their 20’s, male, snowboarders, not from Vermont and they skied off the backside toward Wheelerville Rd. The powder was too deep and they got bogged down. Thank god all these idiots have cell phones so we can go drag their dumb asses out of the woods.

Let me guess? You're in your 50's, douchebag, skier, not originally from Vermont and yearn for the days of straight skis and the 80's.

Looks like they were skiers.....

http://www.wcax.com/story/20466202/urgi ... y-inbounds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

SPORE wrote:Let me guess? You're in your 50's, douchebag, skier, not originally from Vermont and yearn for the days of straight skis and the 80's.
How'd you guess?

Describes me to a tee!
manhattanskier
Green Skidder

Post by manhattanskier »

Yeah, they were 20 and 50... why cant people just ski and not be hating...http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/arti ... Killington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Steven
Skied Killington from 1986 to 1999, back home and ready to ski till the end~!
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

SPORE wrote:
Let me guess? You're in your 50's, douchebag, skier, not originally from Vermont and yearn for the days of straight skis and the 80's.

See it is easy to guess Spore. True, True, True, True, True (Long time straight ski holdout) and False as I hated the long lines and slow lifts of the 80’s. Also a Vermont taxpayer that pays for these rescues and a backcountry skier that has never had to be rescued.

My guess was based on seeing this same thing situation occur over and over again. Since I was riding my Snurfer today that I bought in 1969 does this make me a snowboarder also or a kid that never grew up?
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

The trick is recognizing quickly that its time to start hiking.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

This is where Darwinism kicks in . . .

. . . sometimes you have to thin the herd . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

SPORE wrote:

Looks like they were skiers.....,

http://www.wcax.com/story/20466202/urgi ... y-inbounds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damn that's a funny post! It really is a big gender gap and mix here. Well played mr spore.
Talisman
Black Carver

Post by Talisman »

Turns out 50, male and not from VT were spot on, and the rest of the story:

SHERBURNE, Vt. (AP) -- Police say a 50-year-old Connecticut man and his 11-year-old son are safe and sound after skiing off a trail at a Vermont resort and later being rescued late Saturday night.

State police say Scott Barbarossa of Norwich, Conn., called 911 at 2 p.m. Saturday to report that he and his son were lost after skiing off a trail at Pico Mountain, which is part of the Killington Resort.

Police say Barbarossa kept in contact with police until shortly after 3 p.m., when he said he saw a sign for another ski trail.

A state police search-and-rescue team, game wardens, the Killington ski patrol and a Killington search-and-rescue team searched the area before finding the father and son shortly after 10 p.m. in a snow cave they had created for shelter.
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
SPORE wrote:

See it is easy to guess Spore. True, True, True, True, True (Long time straight ski holdout) and False as I hated the long lines and slow lifts of the 80’s. Also a Vermont taxpayer that pays for these rescues and a backcountry skier that has never had to be rescued.

My guess was based on seeing this same thing situation occur over and over again. Since I was riding my Snurfer today that I bought in 1969 does this make me a snowboarder also or a kid that never grew up?
Snowboarder a true skier would have a monoski in his quiver.
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

So everyone has a problem with assuming they are snowboarders, but no one has a problem with just automatically assuming that they are all males? Chauvinist Pigs! :mrgreen: