Mid-station on the Snowdon Triple......

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

steamboat1
Post Office

Re: Mid-station on the Snowdon Triple......

Post by steamboat1 »

Just look at the sh*t show that is now the Inverness chair at Sugarbush, pretty much closed to the public. Is that what you want?
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

This was before my time, but I've definitely unloaded here on snowy days, just because. Always figured it must have been a legit mid station.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Highway Star wrote:
snoloco wrote:Having a midstation won't cause any problems with unloading issues. It's not like anyone but the racers would want to get off there anyway. Just put a sign up at the midstation that says "Racers only, everyone else go to the top". The racers are all expert skiers, so they'd have no problem getting off. Bottom line is that this is a good thing because it is able to highly benefit the racers, and it somewhat benefits everyone else because the racers aren't flying down the open trails at race speed to get to the course. Instead, they offload right at the top of the trail that is reserved for them and they get more training in per hour.

I just hope the quad gets upgraded to HS soon. The reason to upgrade the quad instead of the triple is because it follows the more convenient line and allows for better access from Ramshead.
What? I'm quite excited for Conclusion laps.
Hell yeah! I'll be able to chew those woods up in record time.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

What is all this concern about midstation use?
Since when is getting off at a midstation an "experts only" endeavor?

If someone is going to fall getting off at a midstation and cause the lift to stop, they would have probably fallen getting off at the top, causing the lift to stop.

Midstation good. "Racers only" bad.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
hollywood
Black Carver

Post by hollywood »

hillbangin wrote:
Ragged#1 wrote:The high speed quad is going to cut half the ride time down anyway....
Step 1: Dump that sh*tty quad
Step 2: Get a high speed
Step 3: Add snowmaking to vagabond, north star, MTS, Upper RF and Great Bear
Step 4: Racers take that up instead and leave the triple alone. :Toast
NO SNOWMAKING - the only reasons those trails are any good is because there is NO SNOWMAKING

Why don't we clear cut Low Rider and make it look like Dipper. They already ruined it by putting it on the map.

You can't be that clueless can you ?
Agree with everything you said here, except for Low Rider being ruined by being put on the map. It is skiing absolutely fantastic right now, with fresh lines found on each run.
Happy hour's come and gone -
much too short and much too long
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Clear cutting from Northstar to Vagabond would make for a sweet bowl...
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Ragged#1 wrote:The high speed quad is going to cut half the ride time down anyway....

Vagabond, North Star, Upper RF and Great Bear are great because they have natural snow. Why would you want to ruin that experience by adding icy snowmaking to them? Obviously, you have yet to learn to appreciate natural trails.
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

rogman wrote:Clear cutting from Northstar to Vagabond would make for a sweet bowl...
While they're at it they can clear out flow rider too. :banana:
tyrolean_skier wrote:

Vagabond, North Star, Upper RF and Great Bear are great because they have natural snow. Why would you want to ruin that experience by adding icy snowmaking to them? Obviously, you have yet to learn to appreciate natural trails.
Natural trails are the absolute best. I will say that northstar sould be spared but in reality, great bear, vagabond and possibly north star will recieve guns once the new lift comes. They need all the capacity they can get. I would hope that they would leave northstar and vagabond ungroomed but opening them up sooner with a solid base to hold all those people is a good idea. It sucks that we will loose a couple natural trails but it will be even better to see Kmart grow with better lifts. :Toast
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
HomeStretchFan
Green Skidder

Post by HomeStretchFan »

I was at Sunday River over the weekend - and noticed a "Not In Service" midstation on the Locke Triple there.

Anyone know the history behind this setup?

eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

HomeStretchFan wrote:I was at Sunday River over the weekend - and noticed a "Not In Service" midstation on the Locke Triple there.

I think that's how they do early season. Ski from the top to midstation, then load there and go back up. Upload/download from the base.
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

RENO wrote:
steamboat1 wrote:
RustyK wrote:Great. Now the lift will stop even more with a mid staion dibackle.

There goes the idea of the high speed quad there to relive the K1 line on the weekends.... :roll:
They could still put in a HSQ with a mid station where the chairs detach for loading or unloading. There are a couple around. I know I've used the one at Le Massif in Quebec. Will K invest that type of money? I doubt it.

The one pictured below is at Le Massif & is used for loading but could just as easily be used for unloading.
The difference is that the mid-station in the pic is used by the thousands of regular paying customers to access many trails and not just a couple dozen ski school kids to access 1/2 trail. It's already slower than molasses on weekends and adding a midstation is just ridiculous at this point. Let the ski school kids ride up to the top just like the rest of the paying public.
I'm sure those privileged kids will wait in line too like the rest of us paying customers.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

eagle628 wrote:
HomeStretchFan wrote:I was at Sunday River over the weekend - and noticed a "Not In Service" midstation on the Locke Triple there.

I think that's how they do early season. Ski from the top to midstation, then load there and go back up. Upload/download from the base.
They hook up the ramps in the early fall so that you can load at the mid station. Once they have a SOLID base to the bottom, they drop the unload ramps as you need to raise the safety bar or it hits at the mid station. By dropping the ramps, they can leave it unmanned.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I remember it being there back in the days when ASC owned SR, but I don't believe it was used in later years. It wasn't until Boyne/CNL bought it that it was re-furbed and put back into use.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

TheLurker wrote:
RENO wrote:
steamboat1 wrote:
RustyK wrote:Great. Now the lift will stop even more with a mid staion dibackle.

There goes the idea of the high speed quad there to relive the K1 line on the weekends.... :roll:
They could still put in a HSQ with a mid station where the chairs detach for loading or unloading. There are a couple around. I know I've used the one at Le Massif in Quebec. Will K invest that type of money? I doubt it.

The one pictured below is at Le Massif & is used for loading but could just as easily be used for unloading.
The difference is that the mid-station in the pic is used by the thousands of regular paying customers to access many trails and not just a couple dozen ski school kids to access 1/2 trail. It's already slower than molasses on weekends and adding a midstation is just ridiculous at this point. Let the ski school kids ride up to the top just like the rest of the paying public.
I'm sure those privileged kids will wait in line too like the rest of us paying customers.
Those "privileged kids" pay for a season pass, club membership and KMS fees and tuition. They also must have membership in VARA and USSA along with many other fees. Don't rag on the kids promoting your favorite Winter sport. Yes, they do stand in line with the rest of us to go up the chair.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

So I was right. They do stand in line with the rest of us. I'm sure they pay for those passes and memberships too. Sounds like a lot of cash outlay. What kind of summer jobs are these kids holding down?