Thoughts on a new Killington work horse lift

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Thoughts on a new Killington work horse lift

Post by Southside_Bobby »

The dog days of K Zoning bring lift discussions.
I titled this thread "Thoughts on a new Killington work horse lift" to make it clear at the outset this is just another idea. No clickbait here.

I will preface by saying I would still rather first have a double chair up the Jug than even this lift. But a South Ridge replacement may not be seen by K as worthy for a variety of reasons, often stated here. So if I can't have that, I propose this: A new Killington work horse lift. Working title: "Roaring Brook".

Rather than first replacing any of the existing lifts at K, I propose ADDING a new lift, which basically replaces the old Killington Double, except not to the summit.
The Roaring Brook Bubble Six Pack will have a bottom terminal approximately where the old double chair bottom was. The top terminal will be at High Traverse, giving access to the South Side of the mountain.

This lift will provide access to almost as much terrain as the Gondola, without having to ride the Gondola. It can replace the Gondola as the main workhorse lift, allowing the K1 to be a lift you take when you want to ride the box, and want to go to the Peak Lodge.
For lapping the hill, the Roaring Six will be a far superior experience to the Gondola, and several minutes faster round trip.

It will not only be the K1 that will benefit. The Snowdon lifts, the Canyon, North Ridge, and Superstar will all have less strain.

Tree removal would be needed, I'm sure, along skiers right on Cascade and along the whole new line. FIS/GIS might need to be reconfigured. Grading around the area might need to be changed. Nothing I see as insurmountable to create a line and terminals.

Replacing fixed lifts with detaches may add capacity, but does not add access like a new lift does. There are also advantages to having the old fixed around to supplement the detaches.
Attachments
Killington Double.jpg
Killington Double.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 848 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
steamboat1
Post Office

Re: Thoughts on a new Killington work horse lift

Post by steamboat1 »

I can see the carnage on Great Northern already.
Ski_killington
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Ski_killington »

Interesting idea, but i think overcrowding in that area would be an major issue. Looking at topographical maps recently I'd be more interested in a lift that has the same base as the original K1 double, but runs parallel to Ovation and ends somewhere above Nivis Walk at the true peak of Skye Peak. Of course making it worthwhile would involve cutting some new trails, just a thought. It could be used to access the canyon area (via some sort of traverse), the Superstar area, or the South Ridge area (although that really depends on whether or not a South Ridge chair would be there).
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Agree with the idea of the new lift.

Great idea, but move the top terminal to the Helter Skelter area, thereby giving access to "both" sides of the resort via Pipe Dream on the South Ridge/Bear side and via Low Traverse on the Killington/Canyon side.

Would also alleviate the added carnage to Great Northern.

It's a great idea Southside. Just tweak it a bit at the top terminal.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

junior wrote:Agree with the idea of the new lift.

Great idea, but move the top terminal to the Helter Skelter area, thereby giving access to "both" sides of the resort via Pipe Dream on the South Ridge/Bear side and via Low Traverse on the Killington/Canyon side.

Would also alleviate the added carnage to Great Northern.

It's a great idea Southside. Just tweak it a bit at the top terminal.
if that's actually possible that;s a good solution...sixxer c/b self loading for bikes in summer too, BUT then no need for gondi and no peak lodge so, maybe not...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Southside_Bobby wrote:The dog days of K Zoning bring lift discussions.
I titled this thread "Thoughts on a new Killington work horse lift" to make it clear at the outset this is just another idea. No clickbait here.

I will preface by saying I would still rather first have a double chair up the Jug than even this lift. But a South Ridge replacement may not be seen by K as worthy for a variety of reasons, often stated here. So if I can't have that, I propose this: A new Killington work horse lift. Working title: "Roaring Brook".

Rather than first replacing any of the existing lifts at K, I propose ADDING a new lift, which basically replaces the old Killington Double, except not to the summit.
The Roaring Brook Bubble Six Pack will have a bottom terminal approximately where the old double chair bottom was. The top terminal will be at High Traverse, giving access to the South Side of the mountain.

This lift will provide access to almost as much terrain as the Gondola, without having to ride the Gondola. It can replace the Gondola as the main workhorse lift, allowing the K1 to be a lift you take when you want to ride the box, and want to go to the Peak Lodge.
For lapping the hill, the Roaring Six will be a far superior experience to the Gondola, and several minutes faster round trip.

It will not only be the K1 that will benefit. The Snowdon lifts, the Canyon, North Ridge, and Superstar will all have less strain.

Tree removal would be needed, I'm sure, along skiers right on Cascade and along the whole new line. FIS/GIS might need to be reconfigured. Grading around the area might need to be changed. Nothing I see as insurmountable to create a line and terminals.

Replacing fixed lifts with detaches may add capacity, but does not add access like a new lift does. There are also advantages to having the old fixed around to supplement the detaches.
You know, I've heard a lot of dumb ideas about Killington's lifts on here, but this one is quite possibly the dumbest.

- The K-1 IS the primary workhorse lift of Killington (as much as it sucks from a skiing standpoint)

- Want to lap the Basin? Ride the Canyon Quad, Dumbass. NO RUNOUT.

- Want to get to the South Side (BEAR) of the Mountain? Ride Superstar.

- Where the hell is this lift going to ACTUALLY go, you idiot? Have you even looked at a REAL MAP or Google Earth? You know this will have to go right up Flume, and either mess with escapade, or further widen Cascade and put more lift towers on it. ARE YOU INSANE????

Am I being harsh? Maybe. But why waste bandwidth talking about lifts that make ZERO sense when there are tons of lifts that are needed elsewhere.

YOU ARE A MORON.
Last edited by Highway Star on Aug 10th, '16, 11:34, edited 4 times in total.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Ski_killington wrote:Interesting idea, but i think overcrowding in that area would be an major issue. Looking at topographical maps recently I'd be more interested in a lift that has the same base as the original K1 double, but runs parallel to Ovation and ends somewhere above Nivis Walk at the true peak of Skye Peak. Of course making it worthwhile would involve cutting some new trails, just a thought. It could be used to access the canyon area (via some sort of traverse), the Superstar area, or the South Ridge area (although that really depends on whether or not a South Ridge chair would be there).
Lets see, a lift that basically duplicates Superstar? SERIOUSLY?

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Highway Star wrote:

You know, I've heard a lot of dumb ideas about Killington's lifts on here, but this one is quite possibly the dumbest.

- The K-1 IS the primary workhorse lift of Killington (as much as it sucks from a skiing standpoint)

- Want to lap the Basin? Ride the Canyon Quad, Dumbass.

- Want to get to the South Side of the Mountain? Ride superstar.

Am I being harsh? Maybe. But why waste bandwidth talking about lifts that make ZERO sense when there are tons of lifts that are needed elsewhere.
What I find most funny here is YOU knocking someone else for wasting bandwidth.

Bobby's idea is a good one. Your response is not.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

junior wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

This is probably the DUMBEST LIFT IDEA IN THE HISTORY OF K-ZONE. You know, I thought I'd seen all sorts of dumb ideas, and had several myself, but really, this is pretty much all time.

If anything, I'm sure Killington would love to rip out the Canyon Quad if they thought they could get away with it.

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

junior wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Self-awareness is obviously not his strong suit. :lol: :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

as someone who dislikes ridding the box, while i never agree w/hstar, i don't care for this. other than the snowshed lifts, this would be the most redundant lift on the mtn. as it is, they're only running the canyon 5 days a week. and the canyon is much friendlier in terms of not having to deal with the runout every run. also can't imagine the carnage with the additional traffic funneling through great northern. there's plenty of ways already to connect to the southside. what we need is a way to connect to the northside from the southside. nah ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Clearly time to break out this bad boy again...
Ya gotta think big!!!
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

I'm going....SOLO....
Attachments
1937-moto-chenille-350cc_1420185686-620x412.jpg
1937-moto-chenille-350cc_1420185686-620x412.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 681 times
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

This is so old........

When Vail buys the hill - add another leg of the gondi from the Wobbly to the bottom of the K1 Gondi station. It will service all the condos they are going to put in at the golf course....Then nobody has to pay for the bus.

Discuss
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I think lift capacity already exceeds reasonable trail capacity in that area. No need for an additional lift.
Don't Killington Pico